re; Grammy Awards

euro

So far at least three nominations for "Raising Sand". And those were the few that were announced during the broadcast. Could be some more. The three are: Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals for "Rich Woman"; Album of the Year for "Raising Sand" and Record of the Year for "Please Read The Letter".

Good luck Robert and Alison, T-Bone.

BTW, T-Bone was there in attendance in Los Angeles.

Update: Also Best Contemporary Folk/Americana Album

Well including the above Country nomination submitted by Ninelives, that makes a total of 5. Good work! I just went through the whole list.

http://content.grammy.com/Grammy_Awards/51st_show/list.aspx

Sorry, but one disappointment...Robert and Alison failed to receive a nomination for Best Polka Album. Oh well, maybe next time.

So far at least three nominations for "Raising Sand". And those were the few that were announced during the broadcast. Could be some more. The three are: Best Song by Pop Duo or Group for "Rich Woman"; Album of the Year for "Raising Sand" and Recored of the Year for "Please Read The Letter".

They also got Country collaboration with vocals for Killing The Blues.

That wasn't mentioned on the show but on the Grammy site.

So far at least three nominations for "Raising Sand". And those were the few that were announced during the broadcast. Could be some more. The three are: Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals for "Rich Woman"; Album of the Year for "Raising Sand" and Record of the Year for "Please Read The Letter".

and he just wanted to say baby, it's cold outside.

I didn't count them up but it seems that both Coldplay and Radiohead also had several nominations a piece.

Metalllica had several nominations also:

Best Rock Album for "Death Magnetic"

Best Rock Instrumental Perfomance for "Suicide and Redemption"

Best Metal Performance for "My Apocalypse"

Sorry, but not a Metallica fan. Their music doesn't do anything for me. Where's the heart and soul of it? It's missing. That's why bands like Zeppelin are light years ahead of them.

Dec. 4, 2008 — Taylor Swift hosted the first-ever Grammy nominations announcement special on Wednesday, with Robert Plant and Alison Krauss looming large on the ballot for the 51st annual ceremony.

The duo picked up five nods for its Raising Sand album with two of the nominations — Record of the Year, for "Please Read The Letter"; and Album of the Year — coming among the Recording Academy’s four prestigious all-genre categories.

Lady Antebellum, who nabbed two nominations overall, also placed among the big four categories, placing among the finalists for Best New Artist.

The Grammys are slated for Feb. 8 at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

George Strait fared best among artists whose nominations resided entirely in country fields. Primarily riding his Troubadour project, which recently won the Country Music Association’s Album of the Year honor, George secured four nominations, while his hit "I Saw God Today" earned additional recognition as songwriters Rodney Clawson, Monty Criswell and Wade Kirby were tabbed for Best Country Song. George competes against himself for Best Country Collaboration with Vocals, where the Kenny Chesney duet "Shiftwork" and the Patty Loveless duet "House Of Cash" both landed among the final five.

Following are the nominees in the country-related Grammy categories (A complete list covering all 110 trophies can be found at www.grammy.com):

Best Female Country Vocal Performance

• "For These Times," Martina McBride

• "What I Cannot Change," LeAnn Rimes

• "Last Name," Carrie Underwood

• "Last Call," Lee Ann Womack

• "This Is Me You're Talking To," Trisha Yearwood

Best Male Country Vocal Performance

• "You're Gonna Miss This," Trace Adkins

• "In Color," Jamey Johnson

• "Just Got Started Lovin' You," James Otto

• "Letter To Me," Brad Paisley

• "Troubadour," George Strait

Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals

• "God Must Be Busy," Brooks & Dunn

• "Love Don't Live Here," Lady Antebellum

• "Every Day," Rascal Flatts

• "Blue Side Of The Mountain," The SteelDrivers

• "Stay," Sugarland

Best Country Collaboration With Vocals

• "Shiftwork," Kenny Chesney & George Strait

• "Killing The Blues," Robert Plant & Alison Krauss

• "House Of Cash," George Strait & Patty Loveless

• "Life In A Northern Town," Sugarland, Jake Owen & Little Big Town

• "Let The Wind Chase You," Trisha Yearwood & Keith Urban

Best Country Instrumental Performance

• "Sumatra," Cherryholmes

• "Two Small Cars In Rome," Jerry Douglas & Lloyd Green

• "Sleigh Ride," Béla Fleck & The Flecktones

• "Is This America? (Katrina 2005)," Charlie Haden, Pat Metheny, Jerry Douglas & Bruce Hornsby

• "Cluster Pluck," Brad Paisley, James Burton, Vince Gill, John Jorgenson, Albert Lee, Brent Mason, Redd Volkaert & Steve Wariner

Best Country Song (A Songwriters Award)

• "Dig Two Graves," Ashley Gorley & Bob Regan, songwriters (Randy Travis, artist)

• "I Saw God Today," Rodney Clawson, Monty Criswell & Wade Kirby, songwriters (George Strait)

• "In Color," Jamey Johnson, Lee Thomas Miller & James Otto, songwriters (Jamey Johnson)

• "Stay," Jennifer Nettles, songwriter (Sugarland)

• "You're Gonna Miss This," Ashley Gorley & Lee Thomas Miller, songwriters (Trace Adkins)

Best Country Album

That Lonesome Song, Jamey Johnson

Sleepless Nights, Patty Loveless

Troubadour, George Strait

Around The Bend, Randy Travis

Heaven, Heartache And The Power Of Love, Trisha Yearwood Best Bluegrass Album

Cherryholmes III: Don't Believe, Cherryholmes

Del McCoury Band: Live At The 2008 New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival, Del McCoury Band

The Ultimate Collection / Live At The Ryman, Earl Scruggs With Family & Friends

Honoring The Fathers Of Bluegrass: Tribute To 1946 And 1947, Ricky Skaggs & Kentucky Thunder

I suspect he will be there-he is even impressed by Allison's grammy haul to date

It's that time of year again.

Monday, February 12, 2007

GRAMMY Awards in Review

* There's something oh-so very wrong with the music business when TONY BENNETT, upon receiving his award for his duet with STEVIE WONDER, thanks TARGET. That's right---TARGET, the department store chain that is apparently a big player in the music business. I'm not sure which is lower---all the winners thanking their lawyers or Bennett thanking corporate America for absconding with the American music business.

* You haven't been humming any of this year's Grammy winners today, have you?

http://flyingcolorscomics.com/blog/2007/02...-in-review.html

About the only song I've been humming is Chains.

Well, okay, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4HbaN4i5S4.

Thanks Target, et cetera.

And the Grammy goes to....once again, so echoed those long awaited words during last night's 50th Annual Grammy Awards. Hosted by well, really, no one, the event marked a culmination of the seemingly tireless efforts and hard work of the music industry's entire creative community.

As I turned on the tube, I was overwhelmed by the awesome presence of the "filled to the brim" auditorium. Dressed to the nines, lovely ladies and dapper dudes pranced around the stage in their finest Versace gowns and 3-piece suits, smiling ever so precociously as the cameras rolled.

While the biggest stars in music made their appearance on national television, the only thing I could seem to muster up as far as an opinion goes, was, "so, this is what they consider music these days!" Although the opening performance, included as Prince later stated, a "150 year old Frank Sinatra" and beautiful Alicia Keyes in a whimsical duet, Learning the Blues, I felt sadly disappointed as I watched the rest of the show.

When Carrie Underwood sang her hit song, Before He Cheats, I had to laugh at her thigh high, glitter boots and her gigantic platinum hair! While the stage was busy with dancers shaking their collective booties to her bluesy, country voice, the over-kill effect was almost too much for me to bear. No, I am not a big fan, can you tell.

I am somewhat of a fan of Alicia Keyes, however, probably because she plays the piano. Furthermore, I was happy when Prince, as his attempt at the "150 year old Frank Sinatra" joke failed, presented her with the Grammy for the Best R & B vocalist.

Something I do not understand is this Rianna person, but I did like her corseted feather outfit, about as much as I like a lesbian bird. And her song, Umbrella, did make me want to get up and shake my booty right along with her fellow dancers. But my favorite part of her performance was when Morris Day reunited with the Time and danced the Bird with her. Yes, it brought me back to those memorable days of Purple Rain and Appalonia and I wondered at that point, what ever happened to her. But hey, doesn't Morris Day ever change? I mean come on, how many years ago was that? It is sad to think that a musician is stuck in the same stereotypical role, year after year after year, but it was entertaining I must admit.

When Tom Hanks hit the stage, I had to question what he had to do with the music industry, but maybe they had a shortage of musicians or something. His booming voice spoke about Bob Dylan and the Beatles, and because their stuff is the musical meat and potatoes that I grew up on, I was pleased when the Band became one of the recipients of the Lifetime Achievement Award. As the camera swept on Ringo Starr and Yoko Ono in the audience, Hanks honored the power of the Beatles and their contribution to the music industry. When the Beatles song, "A Day in the Life" was played, the choreography on the stage was simply mind blowing. I loved it when the Cirque du Soleil dancer did her amazing acrobatics without a net, mind you, to the song, and it brought back fond memories of the music I used to love and still do!

As I glanced from the television for a moment, I was brought back to reality by my deaf, white Great Dane Kota, who began to bark ferociously. When my eyes averted back to the television I suddently realized "now I knew why".....it was Cindi Lauper. As I tried to console him, I had to admit that aside from her hair and the white face that made her look somewhat anemic, her dress was to die for! As she presented the award for Best New Artist, my attention shifted to a new concept, that of Amy Winehouse. But I will save that comment for later.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5...ics_review.html

Yaaaay, this is wonderful news!! I honestly wasn't thinking about them getting any other noms, I was just focused Album of the Year, but I am so happy and 5 total noms at that!! I wonder if Robert will show up? I bet most definitely Alison and perhaps T-Bone will be there. Congrats to all of them. :cheer::D

Yaaaay, this is wonderful news!! I honestly wasn't thinking about them getting any other noms, I was just focused Album of the Year, but I am so happy and 5 total noms at that!! I wonder if Robert will show up? I bet most definitely Alison and perhaps T-Bone will be there. Congrats to all of them. :cheer::D

Probably.

Archived