re; Grammy Awards

euro

Its hard to believe that is the same guy that sings Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog, Rock N Roll and Stairway. I am very happy for him and his success. He clearly put Allison on the map. Lets face it. She wouldnt have made it this big without Plant. Would have been great to see him and McCartney on stage doing something together. At least Robert mentioned Led Zeppelin early in the show. Never forget where you came from Robert. And never forget Jimmy Page!

Alison was already "on the map" before Raising Sand. It has just given her more exposure to those who may not have been familiar with her work, I know I discovered her more through this project and I am so glad I have!! Some of her fans who may not have been that familiar with Robert, have discovered him. It is great on both ends I think! So happy to still see Robert spreading his wings and doing what he loves so much, while not forgetting his past. :D

I wonder how many nominations they will garner.

We will see if Allison if Allison has the opportunity to add to her collection of grammy awards. SHe is the female with the most grammy awards in history

How's it going "euro?" Can you believe it, FIVE GRAMMY AWARDS INCLUDING ALBUM OF THE YEAR! In my opinion, if Robert Plant is going to pass up an opportunity to reunite the mighty LED ZEPPELIN in 2009, he better have a better act in 2009. Well guess what ZEPPELIN fanatics, TONIGHT, ROBERT PLANT DID! Robert Plant and Alison Krauss are the toast of the world on top of the world. Congratulations Robert and Alison, WELL DESERVED! ROCK ON!

How's it going "euro?" Can you believe it, FIVE GRAMMY AWARDS INCLUDING ALBUM OF THE YEAR! In my opinion, if Robert Plant is going to pass up an opportunity to reunite the mighty LED ZEPPELIN in 2009, he better have a better act in 2009. Well guess what ZEPPELIN fanatics, TONIGHT, ROBERT PLANT DID! Robert Plant and Alison Krauss are the toast of the world on top of the world. Congratulations Robert and Alison, WELL DESERVED! ROCK ON!

Pleasantly surprised but not shocked. There was talk of multiple grammy awards soon after the album was recorded.

Many predicted such a result in the immediate days prior,citing the fact that the grammys may try to make up for how the overlooked Zeppelin in the 70s

Also the fact that Herbie Hancock won Album of the Year last year for his Joni Letters album opened up the possiblitiy that another compiliation cover album could win in 2008

Pleasantly surprised but not shocked. There was talk of multiple grammy awards soon after the album was recorded.

Many predicted such a result in the immediate days prior,citing the fact that the grammys may try to make up for how the overlooked Zeppelin in the 70s

Also the fact that Herbie Hancock won Album of the Year last year for his Joni Letters album opened up the possiblitiy that another compiliation cover album could win in 2008

You just never know with these award shows. But I'm so pleased it went completely in their favor! Well deserved :D

Well maybe she was big in her own circle of her type of music. Now she has touched a far larger audience that she never would have been able to touch without Plant. Now try and shoot that down.

How about 20 grammy awards prior to working with Robert?

Well maybe she was big in her own circle of her type of music. Now she has touched a far larger audience that she never would have been able to touch without Plant. Now try and shoot that down.

Hmm...I thought Ms. Krauss had already had a large following..........my pov....the collaboration was mutually beneficial for both parties! B)

Well so far they got album of the year!!! That's awesome news :D

Hey-Up Ninelives,

Just woke up to the news that :thumbsup: ...

Grammys show Plant, Krauss a whole lotta love :thanku:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The 51st annual Grammys was an all-ages affair ultimately dominated by a rock legend who took up with a younger bluegrass singer on a whim.

The unlikely pairing of Robert Plant and Alison Krauss that produced the hit album "Raising Sand," on Sunday won five Grammys including album of the year. The former Led Zeppelin frontman, previously best known for his high-decibel shrieking and rock star theatrics, found more docile Nashville melodies with Krauss. :notworthy:

While accepting the Grammy for album of the year, the 37-year-old Krauss — perhaps wanting to remind the audience that Plant's rock star hadn't entirely matured — said there's "never a dull moment" with the 60-year-old singer. :notworthy:

"Raising Sand," produced by T Bone Burnett, bested fellow nominees Lil Wayne, Ne-Yo, Coldplay and Radiohead. Their "Please Read the Letter" also won record of the year.

"I'm bewildered," said Plant. "In the old days we would have called this selling out, but I think it's a good way to spend a Sunday."

Well done to all on that Stage, they were Excelent at Wembley Arena 22/05/08, & cant wait for this Years tour.

All the bet,

Hangman. :ph34r:

Plant Reaps Grammy Glory

By BRIAN McCOLLUM • Detroit Free Press Pop Music Critic • February 8, 2009

The Grammy Awards have a funny way with vindication these days.

Four decades after his hard-rock howl earned the scorn of critics and the neglect of the rock establishment, Robert Plant got a little justice from his peers Sunday night.

With collaborator Alison Krauss, the former Led Zeppelin front man racked up five Grammy wins to assemble a quietly dominant night at Los Angeles’ Staples Center. The duo’s album of ethereal Americana music, “Raising Sand,” garnered solid reviews when it was released 17 months ago. Sunday it became the music industry’s focal point, providing Plant and Krauss with trophies for album of the year, record of the year and best pop collaboration, among others.

“Good things happen out of nowhere,” said T-Bone Burnett, the producer who groomed the Plant-Krauss collaboration and played guitar on most of the album’s tracks.

“I’m bewildered,” Plant said. “It’s a good way to spend a Sunday.”

Krauss’ five trophies propelled the 37-year-old fiddler ahead of Motown legend Stevie Wonder on the all-time winners list. The onetime teenage prodigy, who began racking up her Grammy wins in the early 1990s, now boasts 26 -- good for third best in history, behind George Solti (31) and Quincy Jones (27).

Plant’s triumph at age 60 fits an ongoing Grammy trend of atonement for older artists at the expense of top-selling younger acts. Led Zeppelin was the best-selling band of its era, but earned little contemporary respect beyond its massive base of teenage hard-rock fans. Sunday night was the latest in what’s been a gradual embrace of Zeppelin and Plant by the mainstream music establishment during the past decade.

Sunday’s two runner-ups were the highest-profile acts of ’08: Lil Wayne grabbed four awards, including best rap album, for his stellar disc “Tha Carter III,” while Coldplay took song of the year for “Viva la Vida” and best rock album for the disc of that name.

The British quartet didn’t need an album of the year win to shore up its claim as the world’s biggest rock band, but it certainly wouldn’t have hurt the cause. Front man Chris Martin, meantime, seemed eager to preempt criticism of the group’s win in the best rock album category, where it topped such heavy hitters as Metallica.

“We’re not, of course, the heaviest of rock bands, as you may have noticed,” he said. “We’re more of the limestone kind of rock: a little softer, but just as charming.”

It was an appropriately humble, milquetoast sort of moment for the 51st Grammys. Sunday was one of the most sizzle-free Grammy events in recent memory, marked by tepid live performances, unmemorable acceptance speeches and low-key presenters with dud jokes.

Fittingly for an era of splintered music tastes, it was a Grammy show with no overarching theme -- and few dazzling moments. A forgettable opening hour included a limp leadoff set by U2, which performed its go-nowhere new single “Get On Your Boots.”

This was mostly a night for familiar music figures, but there were a few new faces to be seen. British neo-soul singer Adele, chomping gum and choking back tears, took the best new artist trophy while giving props to fellow rookies Duffy and the Jonas Brothers.

Keeping with a tradition established earlier in the decade, the 31/2-hour ceremony was presented without a main host. The maneuver keeps the gala moving briskly -- and offers face time to a wider assortment of stars -- but it also leaves the Grammy show without a real center. Late-night comedian Craig Ferguson’s brief but spirited slot as presenter was a quick reminder what a charismatic emcee can bring to the affair.

The Jonases tried to grab an injection of credibility via Wonder, who manned a keyboard and swapped vocals with the teen sensations on “Burnin’ Up” and his own “Superstition.” Wonder seemed game for the moment, but the medley of chirpy funk fell flat.

Performance highlights included a lovely, powerful rendition of “You Pulled Me Through” by Jennifer Hudson, who capped a dramatic year by winning best R&B album. Iconic British band Radiohead, in its first U.S. television appearance in nearly a decade, delivered a pulsing, sublime performance of “15 Step” with -- yes -- the University of Southern California marching band.

Detroit’s Kid Rock once again got shut out by the Recording Academy’s 11,000 voters -- missing out on trophies for best rock album and male pop performance.

Dressed for the occasion in a sharp modern suit and hat, hair pulled back in a ponytail, he whipped up a vigorous medley of songs from his “Rock N Roll Jesus” album, with a shout-out to late Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist Billy Powell.

Smokey Robinson joined young bucks Jamie Foxx and Ne-Yo as vocal accompaniment for a wide-grinning Detroiter Abdul (Duke) Fakir, as the ad hoc quartet performed a brisk medley of Four Tops tunes to mark the Motown group’s lifetime achievement award.

This morning’s water-cooler talking points will include Whitney Houston, making her biggest public appearance since leaving husband Bobby Brown two years ago and undergoing rehabilitation for drug addiction. The 45-year-old looked far healthier than she did earlier this decade, eliciting a standing ovation as she stepped out to present the best R&B album award. But Grammy viewers were sure to have noticed what seemed to be slurred speech and a halting manner from the former pop queen.

But the real chatter will involve a pair of no-shows. R&B power couple Chris Brown and Rihanna didn’t make their scheduled appearance after a long day of rumors about a violent domestic dispute the previous night. Brown surrendered to Los Angeles police Sunday, according to several media outlets, and was reported to be free on a $50,000 bail.

Its hard to believe that is the same guy that sings Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog, Rock N Roll and Stairway. I am very happy for him and his success. He clearly put Allison on the map. Lets face it. She wouldnt have made it this big without Plant. Would have been great to see him and McCartney on stage doing something together. At least Robert mentioned Led Zeppelin early in the show. Never forget where you came from Robert. And never forget Jimmy Page!

Actually, I think this collaboration has probably given Robert just as much new exposure as it has for Allison. There are probably a lot of younger country music fans that were like "who is this old guy singing with Allison Kraus?" :D

Actually, I think this collaboration has probably given Robert just as much new exposure as it has for Allison. There are probably a lot of younger country music fans that were like "who is this old guy singing with Allison Kraus?" :D

LOL, you are right Zepfreak! This collaboration has certainly opened doors for each of their fans from opposite ends of the musical spectrum to have the chance to explore the other artists' talent. I just think it is amazing!! :)

I'm so upset; I fell asleep before they performed :( I was so looking forward to seeing them; and the last thing I remember it was after 11 and they still hadn't gone on yet.

Don't worry Virginia, I bet you all the performances will be on Youtube very quickly. :)

Thanks for the link! Too bad about Chris Brown getting into trouble though. It was a great show overall and that just puts a damper on things. Seems like this is all the media keeps talking about.

No problem! And like you said I'm sure there will be lots more to come today. Yes, that Chris Brown incident was interesting. I'm curious to know the full story. When E! were talking about it last night before the show, all the details weren't released yet.

I'm so upset; I fell asleep before they performed :( I was so looking forward to seeing them; and the last thing I remember it was after 11 and they still hadn't gone on yet.
I missed their performance too, I must have fell asleep right before they went on. I can't find anything on youtube yet. Oh well, I'm sure someone will post it soon. Congratulations Robert !

Archived