Have You Heard This Band?

Dancin'Days

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard of Moxy? I've just listened to their debut album, called Moxy (or Moxy I) too. They sound pretty Zepp-influenced. I think you should try them. I heard some The Ocean, Black Dog and Over The Hills And Far Away on this album. And after a second listening there's some Black Sabbath there too IMO. Despite that, they have their own sound, they don't sound like a cover band or anything. I'll definitely try their next album.

Line-up:

Buzz Shearman: vocals

Earl Johnson: Guitar

Terry Juric: Bass

Bill Wade: drums

Tommy Bolin: Guitar (Solos)

Anyone heard of Moxy? I've just listened to their debut album, called Moxy (or Moxy I) too. They sound pretty Zepp-influenced. I think you should try them. I heard some The Ocean, Black Dog and Over The Hills And Far Away on this album. And after a second listening there's some Black Sabbath there too IMO. Despite that, they have their own sound, they don't sound like a cover band or anything. I'll definitely try their next album.

Line-up:

Buzz Shearman: vocals

Earl Johnson: Guitar

Terry Juric: Bass

Bill Wade: drums

Tommy Bolin: Guitar (Solos)

Good call! Their debut is great and very underrated, unfortunatly neither of the later albums is as good as the debut. Tommy Bolin doesn't play on the album. During the recording session in LA he came in and recorded a bunch of guitar parts, but when the band got back to Canada to finish the recordings, Earl Johnson re-recorded Bolins parts.

• 3 months later...

This is a great compilation of cool British 60's freakbeat bands.

The Freakbeat Scene

511-w8C-cIL._SS500_.jpg

I suppose the best description of freakbeat fits somewhere between 60's beat and psychedelic music. The disc contains bands that cut singles for Decca, some more successful then others, but most of them disappeared into obscurity after one or two singles.

Here's some great songs from this CD:

Paul Ritchie & The Cryin' Shames - Come On Back

The Score - Please Please Me (great cover with a small excerpt from Satisfaction in the middle of the song too!!)

Mark Four - I'm Leavin'

Loose Ends - Taxman

The Flies - I'm Not Your Stepping Stone

It's available at www.amazon.com

Archived