Have You Heard This Band?

Dancin'Days

The Modern Lovers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAOB6MNrbZo

I Heard them for the firt time today. They are similar to the Velvet Underground.

Yeah, they were really great. I first heard them a couple of years ago. Richman (don't remember his first name), their singer, is the guy that shows up and sings songs several times in Something About Mary. Really great band!!

• 5 weeks later...

Check out The Only Ones. They recorded three amazing albums in the late 70', early 80's. All albums are avalible in digital form with bonus tracks. Anyone into Velvet Underground, Television and power pop in general would be interested in them. Enjoy!

The Only Ones - s/t (1978)

Their one and only "hit" which was included on the first album, Another Girl, Another Planet. Another great track from the debut is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNuOSCM9ShQ.

k05622uy58r.jpg

The Only Ones - Even Serpents Shine (1979)

and

m44577xo5ff.jpg

The Only Ones - Baby's Got A Gun (1980)

This is two really great songs from their last record,

and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUpx8W3UYiY.

m44575ms7q9.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if these bands are considered obscure, but they're not as well known as Zep!

1. Dead Can Dance

I saw them once in concert, and saw Lisa Gerrard once in concert. Over time it's actually Brendan Perry that I've remained most interested in. I love his voice and songwriting. I posted elsewhere that I'd be interested in a Plant/Perry collaboration, mostly from a songwriting standpoint. They like some of the same music (Tim Buckley, non-western & early musics) and I think they'd balance each other well (Plant-light/Perry-dark). Unfortunately as far as I know, Brendan's disappeared within Quivvy church! I think Plant would be fascinated with Perry's collection of instruments too.

Anyway, I love the DCD cds "Into the Labyrinth", "Toward the Within", and "Spiritchaser".

Check out these songs:

The Carnival Is Over

I Can See Now

American Dreaming

Oman

Don't Fade Away

Song Of The Stars

Indus (w/a lick borrowed from George Harrison's Within You Without You)

Song Of The Disposessed

I also recommend Brendan Perry's cd "Eye Of The Hunter" with caution: the songs are all very slow and the lyrics are mainly dark. But it sounds gorgeous-I like listening to it when I go to bed.

2. Hothouse Flowers

For me their first cd, "People" was the best by far (I got the albums after that & eventually sold all of them.). By their last album, the singer's voice was so different, I thought they had a new singer, until I read the credits. Maybe he had surgery. On "People" they had a Committments kind of sound/ensemble, only with original songs, instead of covers like the Committments did. It is an outstanding album. I don't listen to it often, but every time I do, it blows me away.

These are my favorite songs from that album:

It'll Be Easier In The Morning

Hallelujah Jordan

The Older We Get

Feet On The Ground

Saved

There used to be a band from Chicago called The Shoes that i really like.

They were trying to break out in the late 70's and were part of the new wave/pop scene. They had an album called Present Tense that is really, really good, but never caught on. I searched YouTube but came up empty on any vids, so if anyone knows something, pass it on.

I'm aware of the Shoes. In a similar vein (in both name and sound) was the Sneakers which included Mitch Easter (Let's Active) and Chris Stamey (the dB's) who also went largely unnoticed at the time. These days Mitch and Chris are probably more well known for their production work than for their own bands.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure if these bands are considered obscure, but they're not as well known as Zep!

1. Dead Can Dance

I saw them once in concert, and saw Lisa Gerrard once in concert. Over time it's actually Brendan Perry that I've remained most interested in. I love his voice and songwriting. I posted elsewhere that I'd be interested in a Plant/Perry collaboration, mostly from a songwriting standpoint. They like some of the same music (Tim Buckley, non-western & early musics) and I think they'd balance each other well (Plant-light/Perry-dark). Unfortunately as far as I know, Brendan's disappeared within Quivvy church! I think Plant would be fascinated with Perry's collection of instruments too.

Anyway, I love the DCD cds "Into the Labyrinth", "Toward the Within", and "Spiritchaser".

Check out these songs:

The Carnival Is Over

I Can See Now

American Dreaming

Oman

Don't Fade Away

Song Of The Stars

Indus (w/a lick borrowed from George Harrison's Within You Without You)

Song Of The Disposessed

I also recommend Brendan Perry's cd "Eye Of The Hunter" with caution: the songs are all very slow and the lyrics are mainly dark. But it sounds gorgeous-I like listening to it when I go to bed.

2. Hothouse Flowers

For me their first cd, "People" was the best by far (I got the albums after that & eventually sold all of them.). By their last album, the singer's voice was so different, I thought they had a new singer, until I read the credits. Maybe he had surgery. On "People" they had a Committments kind of sound/ensemble, only with original songs, instead of covers like the Committments did. It is an outstanding album. I don't listen to it often, but every time I do, it blows me away.

These are my favorite songs from that album:

It'll Be Easier In The Morning

Hallelujah Jordan

The Older We Get

Feet On The Ground

Saved

Brendan's alive! He's working on a new disc that may be released online this month and is supposed to be released in retail stores later this fall. YAY-it's about time!

• 1 month later...

Archived