Is Robert telling the whole truth and nothing but the truth?

rockerrr

We had an official press release a few weeks ago where Robert states that he won't be touring with anyone for the next 2 years. Then a couple of weeks ago, he states in an interview that he is going into the studio in January to record the follow up to "Raising Sand".

Now I don't think it will take them two years to record the album, so the million dollar question is, will they tour together after it's release in support of it? I have a really hard time believing they wouldn't.

The vibe I got from the press release was that Robert was taking a two year extended vacation.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

We had an official press release a few weeks ago where Robert states that he won't be touring with anyone for the next 2 years. Then a couple of weeks ago, he states in an interview that he is going into the studio in January to record the follow up to "Raising Sand".

Now I don't think it will take them two years to record the album, so the million dollar question is, will they tour together after it's release in support of it? I have a really hard time believing they wouldn't.

The vibe I got from the press release was that Robert was taking a two year extended vacation.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

He said he wasn't touring for two years, not that he wasn't working at all. That would mean not touring until 2010. I'd assume he and Alison will tour in support of their follow up album, but much like Raising Sand which was released October of 2007, they didn't go out on the road until Spring of 2008 so likely it could be a similar time frame.

I imagine he would be asked to tour in support of a follow-up release to Raising Sand,

and that he would be receptive to doing so.

In any event, it is far too soon to guess what the scale and scope of any tour would entail, nor indeed when it would begin. He has already told a Washington DC radio host something to the effect of they would definately play near there again.

If an album of original songs is attempted it may well take quite some time to complete.

Alison Krauss is planning a fall tour with Union Station, and I have substantiated this with a quote from Jerry Douglas to the Charlotte Observer on another thread. So a follow-up tour to Raising Sand will not likely occur until 2010, which is consistent with Robert's announced timeline.

I suggest you occasionally check the online Tennessean, specifically the Beverly Keel columns, starting in mid-January. She will have updates if any recording is being done. As I have informed several insiders on this board, Nashville is a small town and there are no secrets, and 30% of one's neighbors and friends work in the music industry. However, musicians are also allowed to work (and run about town) in peace here without being disturbed. That is why just about everything going on ends up in Beverly Keel's column. Keith Richards just spent several weeks here and absolutely loved it, who would have ever thought.... :lol:

It's probably better to go with what Robert actually said in the press release rather than some vibe emanating off it! :D

I think it is about time we all got over the whole Robert Plant thing. Yeah, it would be good to see our favorite band back together, but Robert is a different person now, and if LZ is not his bag, then Robert, please pursue whatever interests you. One thing is for granted people, if you expect to see the Zeppelin of '75 or '77, you will be disapointed...us and Zeppelin are different now than when we were in the '70's. Lets all wake up.

So technically speaking, he could spend oh lets say Jan/Feb 2009 recording the new material and then sit around and wait till sometime in lets say spring 2010 before that cd is released and then start that tour. So, he's on a one year holiday between those two events.

It's probably better to go with what Robert actually said in the press release rather than some vibe emanating off it! :D

I wouldent believe Robert if he was standing right next to me and told me I was on fire and i could see the flames and smell the smoke and could hear the fire engines sirens and my face was melting in to my hands.

The man will never tell the truth to us because he lives in a world of make believe, as some of his songs will tell you, if you listen very hard.

Led Zeppelin will never reform, why, because Robert cannot get on with Page and Jones, he doesnt like them, they are not/never were his friends, he doesnt want to share the limelight with them and by having his own band he, and only he can call the shots.

He had the chance to reform Led Zeppelin in 1994, but he decieded not to, why, because he didnt want to work with Jones, so we got Page and Plant. He walked out on that act because? I dont know the answer to that but there are several people on here who could tell you the whole truth but they stay silent because of their loyalty to Robert, Jimmy, JPJ or JB. So we will never get to the truth of it all, sad but fact.

But i believe we will never see a reformed Led Zeppelin, and you can quote me on that, then again i have been known to be wrong before. ;)

Regards, Danny

Led Zeppelin will never reform, why, because Robert cannot get on with Page and Jones, he doesnt like them, they are not/never were his friends, he doesnt want to share the limelight with them and by having his own band he, and only he can call the shots.

Ay, think about what happened one year ago...

Robert may have had a falling out with them post O2, but he was getting along with them better leading up to the O2 than he had in a long while. At least he entered into kind of a truce with JPJ. Robert's statement doesn't directly point to a falling out, althought it is an about-face compared to prior equivocal statements so it's easy to feel the need to read between the lines. One could infer that he did not detect enough of a creative spark going on in that camp, which may be true, but also would reflect Robert's passive attitude of having to be wooed into Zeppelin rather than putting in effort to make it relevant again.

If Robert does go on a solo tour again before the 2 years are up he will be skewered by the fans, and rightfully so. He should be held to his word.

If Robert does go on a solo tour again before the 2 years are up he will be skewered by the fans, and rightfully so. He should be held to his word.

It's not like he had never done this before, and he had been already skewered by the fans so many times B) Don't think he would care a lot if he really wants to be on the road again.

And, it's not like Jimmy had never done this, either. *shrug*

Ay, think about what happened one year ago...

Hi Glicine,

Its always on my mind, its not that I dont want it to happen, but i'm looking at in a realistic way. They might reform for another "tribute too? show" but not as Led Zellelin in their own right as the formost rock act in history. Robert put pay to that many years ago. As I said before, some people on here know the score, the personality clashes, who likes who, who wont work with who.

I dont know all the facts, but I have been told some of them from reliably sources who would not want to be named, and thats their choice not mine. If I had the information I would share it with my friends, but not on here, its up to the band members to tell us the full true story and they will not. And thats up to them as well.

Believe me, when Led Zeppelin announced that they were no more, part of my life caved in. I have never got over it, in many ways I still live in the 70s, sweatshirts, jeans, trainers are still the as big a part of my wardrobe now as zen. I even got married in a Zepp T-shirt in 1980, my own design by the way. Still we all live in hope.

Regards, Danny

Hi Glicine,

Its always on my mind, its not that I dont want it to happen, but i'm looking at in a realistic way. They might reform for another "tribute too? show" but not as Led Zellelin in their own right as the formost rock act in history. Robert put pay to that many years ago. As I said before, some people on here know the score, the personality clashes, who likes who, who wont work with who.

I dont know all the facts, but I have been told some of them from reliably sources who would not want to be named, and thats their choice not mine. If I had the information I would share it with my friends, but not on here, its up to the band members to tell us the full true story and they will not. And thats up to them as well.

Believe me, when Led Zeppelin announced that they were no more, part of my life caved in. I have never got over it, in many ways I still live in the 70s, sweatshirts, jeans, trainers are still the as big a part of my wardrobe now as zen. I even got married in a Zepp T-shirt 1n 1980, my own design by the way. Still we all live in hope.

Regards, Danny

Hi Danny,

What I don't agree with you is that "they are/were never his friends". Their relationship is more complicated than just like/hate, and Robert's unwillingness is not only in sharing the limelight But, I'm with you that it's a point we needn't to discuss here.

And yeah I believe you're a big LZ fan. We all want to see them, but if this will happen or not, all up to them.

Alison Krauss is planning a fall tour with Union Station, and I have substantiated this with a quote from Jerry Douglas to the Charlotte Observer on another thread. So a follow-up tour to Raising Sand will not likely occur until 2010, which is consistent with Robert's announced timeline.

I suggest you occasionally check the online Tennessean, specifically the Beverly Keel columns, starting in mid-January. She will have updates if any recording is being done. As I have informed several insiders on this board, Nashville is a small town and there are no secrets, and 30% of one's neighbors and friends work in the music industry. However, musicians are also allowed to work (and run about town) in peace here without being disturbed. That is why just about everything going on ends up in Beverly Keel's column. Keith Richards just spent several weeks here and absolutely loved it, who would have ever thought.... :lol:

Nashville's a beautiful place. You can almost hear pedal steel guitar emanating up through the cracks in the sidewalk. And the "Boot Bar" is one of the best live music venues I've ever been in. It's still there, I hope!!!

I like what Robert's doing a lot but I'm a little surprised he's so convinced that he's breaking new ground. First time I heard Please Read the Letter, I thought "nice, somebody's playing Prairie Wind or is it Harvest Moon? ... wait a minute, that's not Neil singing ..."

If Robert and Allison were to cover that ol' Buffulo Springfield tune "Round and Round" (ended up on Everybody Knows this is Nowhere), it'd be mighty fine. B)

Hi Danny,

What I don't agree with you is that "they are/were never his friends". Their relationship is more complicated than just like/hate, and Robert's unwillingness is not only in sharing the limelight But, I'm with you that it's a point we needn't to discuss here.

And yeah I believe you're a big LZ fan. We all want to see them, but if this will happen or not, all up to them.

Hi 'glicine',

My point is that Robert and Bonzo were from the same area and had been in a few bands together, when they all came together as Led Zeppelin they may have shared a musical interest but not much else. When the tours ended mostly they would go home to their families, on occation some of the members would even holiday together. Did this happen when the bans split up? I dont think so, maybe someone like Knebby can cast some light on this but I think they were like work mates.

When you change jobs you mostly leave these mates behind, but you always keep your friends even if you work with them.

Friends.

Robert and Bonzo. Yes.

Robert and Jimmy. May be.

Robert and John Paul. No.

Other relationships. No

Just my intuition, and some inside help.

Regards, Danny

PS, I dont think there is any hate between them, just a lot of time not spent together.

I wouldent believe Robert if he was standing right next to me and told me I was on fire and i could see the flames and smell the smoke and could hear the fire engines sirens and my face was melting in to my hands.

The man will never tell the truth to us because he lives in a world of make believe, as some of his songs will tell you, if you listen very hard.

Disagreeing with some of the man's decisions I can certainly understand. Calling him a liar is something else again. Coming from a big fan like you, that's--well, a bit much.

It's odd about Robert, I was amazed when checking the credits of his 66 to timbucktoo album, he cited all those people he wanted to thank for his career, there was no thanks for peter Grant, how odd i remember thinking.

UNLESS I'M BLIND :D

Disagreeing with some of the man's decisions I can certainly understand. Calling him a liar is something else again. Coming from a big fan like you, that's--well, a bit much.

Hi 'Aquamarine'

Being a liar is not unique to him, in some ways we all do it. Dont get me wrong, I like Robert Plant, as I like my family and friends, even you, but if they have or behave in the same way he has I will say from the bottom of my heart that they are wrong. I wont have people in the right just because I like them or because they are friends or family.

But I take your point that calling him a liar is a bit much, lets just say I would not trust anything that comes out of his mouth as being the truth, is that better?

Thanks again and Regards, Danny

You guys make it sound like some big conspiracy theory. Why would he be untruthful to his fans?

Anyone who employs a person to break in new shoes is away with the fairies in my opinion.

You Irish, M small c?

Regards, Danny

Robert may have had a falling out with them post O2, but he was getting along with them better leading up to the O2 than he had in a long while. At least he entered into kind of a truce with JPJ. Robert's statement doesn't directly point to a falling out, althought it is an about-face compared to prior equivocal statements so it's easy to feel the need to read between the lines. One could infer that he did not detect enough of a creative spark going on in that camp, which may be true, but also would reflect Robert's passive attitude of having to be wooed into Zeppelin rather than putting in effort to make it relevant again.

Post of the week :slapface:

Archived