captivity

caroselambra~

A) They're really frickin' huge; I'm sure they'd be a lot happier in a space larger than an aquarium

B) They have to keep swimming constantly, or else they sink due to lack of a swim bladder. I mean, that's not so big a deal when you're just going to hit the bottom of the aquarium, but they probably don't know that, so they just want to keep truckin'.

Weird that Wikipedia says that they refuse to eat when kept in captivity...I wonder why. Maybe the instinct to hunt is so ingrained that they won't eat stuff that's just thrown at them. Beats me.

I had a salt water tank for yrs. would catch everything with a pole net in the bay, even some tropical fish washed into the bay at the end of the summers. anyway only thing i can add to this thread is that you cant put blue claw crabs in a tank, brutal little killers they are.

baby horseshoe crabs and baby spider crabs are great though, pretty cool, every once in awhile they shed and almost double in size. even had a few barnacles in there, they have hair like fibers to feed and scallops filter feed too, they open up and have like a row of glowing orbs you can see at night. small blowfish, killies and flounder are good...the tropical fish are sensitive to temp. so they dont do as well in a tank, but when they get washed into the bay at the end of the summer, they wont make it back to the ocean anyway. starfish are good, their tough creatures and have no problem surviving in a tank.

why has man never managed to keep a great white shark in captivity?

is anyone aware of any other animals/mammals/fish that this applies to?

:)

Actually the Monterey, California aquarium has kept great whites for a substantial period of time, well, several months anyway. I saw a 'discovery' channel type show about this a few months back.

Monterey Bay Aquarium remains the only aquarium in the world ever to exhibit the ocean’s top predator for more than 16 days. Our first shark was with us for 6 ½ months; our second, for 4 ½ months; our third for 5 months. All were successfully returned to the wild.

p_research.jpg

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/whiteshark/

I usually follow that road, but you've made like 6 random threads in the last 2 days and its pushing back all the other good threads.

Random stuff like this that can be talked about for a minute at the most really doesn't deserve an entire thread...try the Random thread or something

I usually follow that road, but you've made like 6 random threads in the last 2 days and its pushing back all the other good threads.

Random stuff like this that can be talked about for a minute at the most really doesn't deserve an entire thread...try the Random thread or something

oh tell someone who cares - i'm really not bothered anymore!!

:wave:

It beats me why anyone would want to keep such creatures in captivity. I don't for one minute think theses animals are queueing up to be put in cages or aquariums. They need natural habitat, not the human version of it. I strongly oppose the likes of Seaworld et al.

RB

The Great White's have just been guests. The ones at the Monterey Aquarium I posted about were returned successfully to their natural habitat. To be able to view a shark like that would be awesome. I think it's very interesting for those who care to observe, I know I love aquariums.

It sure is better than having them on some sort of metal stand. :rolleyes:

2d2fz0o.jpg

The Great White's have just been guests. The ones at the Monterey Aquarium I posted about were returned successfully to their natural habitat. To be able to view a shark like that would be awesome. I think it's very interesting for those who care to observe, I know I love aquariums.

It sure is better than having them on some sort of metal stand. :rolleyes:

2d2fz0o.jpg

i really hope thats not a real shark on that stand! :o

i thought it was the *jaws* model they used in the film

it is, isn't it?

Archived