I NEED YOUR HELP ON SCHOOL ESSAY!

Jimmy's A Legend

True, but he was certainly influenced by Him no?

He most certainly was. He was so inspired that he travelled the world spreading the teachings of Jesus.

Also per the discussion at hand. There is some evidence which has been suppressed by the Catholic Church that Mary Magdeline was one of the original apostles and at least the prostitute assumption has been refuted by the Church and is no longer accepted as a valid description of Mary Magdeline. There is even a Gospel of Mary Magdeline that the unrecongized ancient Gnostic branch of the Church accepted.

No she wasn't. There's no real nor accepted evidence to suggest that.

Don't want to get into an argument. But the evidence, if there is any, has been suppressed. And there is a Gospel of Mary Magdeline in the Gnostic Bible, which itself has been suppressed by the Catholic Church. Their motive is to suppress the roles of women in the Church.

You cannot prove that she wasn't an apostle and I cannot prove that she was, so the point is mute.

I really don't want to argue this either, but I'm one of those people that always has to get the last word in no matter what so :P

I cannot prove she wasn't an apostle, but there's no credible evidence that I've ever seen to prove she was an Apostle. The Gnostic Gospels, to me, really aren't that credible.

And the whole theory with suppressing women...i mean come on now, you honestly believe that?

I really don't want to argue this either, but I'm one of those people that always has to get the last word in no matter what so :P

I cannot prove she wasn't an apostle, but there's no credible evidence that I've ever seen to prove she was an Apostle. The Gnostic Gospels, to me, really aren't that credible.

And the whole theory with suppressing women...i mean come on now, you honestly believe that?

I don't want to get the last word, so please add another reply after mine and I will leave it at that, but you did ask another question. :lol:

I am definitely not a women's libber and not a feminist either. But I do honestly believe that the Church has and did suppress women's role in the church and if Mary Magdeline was an apostle (or perhaps was also Jesus' wife :lol: as some have suggested) then there is no way that the men in charge, i.e. the Pope, would let that knowledge be known as it detracts from the notion of the divinity of Jesus.

Edited to say: I meant suppression of women's role in the church, not the suppression of women in general or women's rights.

No evidence suggests that Jesus married. None.

As far as everything else, again, think about it. John Paul II would not "suppress" women's role in the Church unless he felt he had the power to do so, and in this case he would. Also, the Church does not, today, suppress women's rights. They do not advocate that women subject themselves as slaves, as feminists would have you believe.

"And that's all I have to say about that."

I'm not in any way saying anything negative against the Catholic church, or any religion at all. I have nothing but respect for all faiths and those who practice them. But with regards to suppression of women's rights... I think the blanket ban on birth control/ abortion could be looked on as such.

I'm not in any way saying anything negative against the Catholic church, or any religion at all. I have nothing but respect for all faiths and those who practice them. But with regards to suppression of women's rights... I think the blanket ban on birth control/ abortion could be looked on as such.

Yes, some people can be too rigid but it's good that someone defends the rights of the unborn. Neither of us would be posting here if our mothers had practiced birth control too stringently or aborted us.

Just a note here: St. Paul was not one of the original twelve apostles and there is no evidence that he ever met Jesus before his crucifixion. If you remember, Paul was originally Saul, and he persecuted Christians. He was converted to Christianity when he was on the road to Damascus and had a vision of the reserected Jesus. So St. Paul was not running around with Jesus.

oh fuck, I must've fell asleep in class for that one...

jesus' views and dealings with women signaled a need for change for women's rights...when he spoke to the unknown woman at the well...this was completely unheard of at the time...when he told the prostitute to "sin no more" instead of stoning her, he was implying an undeserved double standard for women...no doubt about it, he was a progressive!!!

Many Religions rule women out of leadership roles also as a matter of economics .To pay for a priest and nuns for example in the Roman Catholic church it was cheaper to throw in vows of celebecy to eliminate paying for families service, the added expense of the Priest ,his wife and children couldn't help the vatican rack up it's mass fortunes of the past .As well as women are seen as more fragile and it would have been unacceptable for her to travel vast distances and settle in remote areas to mission to the "savages" alone.

Many Religions rule women out of leadership roles also as a matter of economics .To pay for a priest and nuns for example in the Roman Catholic church it was cheaper to throw in vows of celebecy to eliminate paying for families service, the added expense of the Priest ,his wife and children couldn't help the vatican rack up it's mass fortunes of the past .As well as women are seen as more fragile and it would have been unacceptable for her to travel vast distances and settle in remote areas to mission to the "savages" alone.

Good point

Archived