Jeff Buckley

ledzep45

I'm a huge Jeff Buckley fan! What an incredible artist and taken from us way way way too soon. I think Grace is one of my favorite albums of all time. I recently got the Live at Sine cd which gets tons of listens as well. The bits in between are great and give you a good sense of what that scene was like. He does a great bit of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (his "Elvis")!

As a sidenote, his dad Tim Buckley also rates up there for me.

I'm a huge Jeff Buckley fan! What an incredible artist and taken from us way way way too soon. I think Grace is one of my favorite albums of all time. I recently got the Live at Sine cd which gets tons of listens as well. The bits in between are great and give you a good sense of what that scene was like. He does a great bit of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (his "Elvis")!

As a sidenote, his dad Tim Buckley also rates up there for me.

I agree, its one of my fav albums too. Have you seen the live in chicago dvd? Jeff plays a lovely old blonde telecaster.

I agree, its one of my fav albums too. Have you seen the live in chicago dvd? Jeff plays a lovely old blonde telecaster.

Seen the dvd a zillion times with the headphones on....

Jeff was so fucking intense, believing every note he sang, and also incredibly funny (on one bootleg he is actually poking fun of the bootlegger..."What are you gonna do with the recording, study it?")

It's a real shame he died too early, since he was one of the greatest voices in rock music EVER.

Did you actually know that the last thing Jeff ever did sing was "Whole lotta love", he had that on the ghettoblaster while taking his last fatal swim and was singing along to it......what a way to go.

Just one question for those who might know......is there a studio version of the song "What will you say", any possible outtake on a bootleg ????

(Since I only know many live versions, but in a documentary I actually heard something that sounded like it were a studio take)

Ooh no I haven't - is it officially released or a boot?

It's a legitimate release put out by Sony. It's Jeff's May 13th , 1995 performance at the Metro in Chicago. It's very representative of his Grace release with What Will You Say, Kick Out The Jams and a few additional treats. As a big fan it's very enjoyable.

It's a legitimate release put out by Sony. It's Jeff's May 13th , 1995 performance at the Metro in Chicago. It's very representative of his Grace release with What Will You Say, Kick Out The Jams and a few additional treats. As a big fan it's very enjoyable.

Awesome! Thanks for that Chicago. I shall put it on my very long wish list :D

Unlike his father Tim whom I saw live many times, I never got to see Jeff. They both had that vocal intensity that came so naturally it just oozed out of them. If Jeff was half the live act that his father was then sadly, I missed one of the greats

Unlike his father Tim whom I saw live many times, I never got to see Jeff. They both had that vocal intensity that came so naturally it just oozed out of them. If Jeff was half the live act that his father was then sadly, I missed one of the greats

I'm sooooo envious you got to see Tim though! I'm a huge fan of his. He must have been great to see live.

I'm sooooo envious you got to see Tim though! I'm a huge fan of his. He must have been great to see live.

He was incredible live. His fusion of blues and jazz was to me his greatest time period but he also incorporated many of his earlier folk work into the mix. Pure unadulterated passion would best decribe his live performances. For anyone who hasn't heard it, "Greetings From LA" is one of my all time favorite albums and should be included on any Jeff Buckley fan's...need to get list

Anybody a fan of his?

I am :D

Edit: I just wanted to add this as a tribute to Jeff - it was so tragic, May 29 1997.

Grace-Jeff Buckley

LOVE Jeff Buckley! Of all the artists whose lives were cut short, having to say 'what could've been' about him probably hurts the most.

I'd read that Pagey was a big fan of his.

From the "Grace" album, 'Dream Brother' is one of my favourite tracks (along with 'Hallelujah' because I love Leonard Cohen, and because it's one of the best versions of the song out there). Matt Johnson's percussion is incredible on that song.

Before "Grace" came out, Jeff released "Live at Sin-e". It's just Jeff and a Tele and it'll blow you away. No back ups, no dubbing, no band, very raw. He could really fill a room with the barest of essentials.

Then after his sad passing, "Sketches From My Sweetheart the Drunk" was released. This is a 2-CD compilation of what was to be the follow up to "Grace". You can tell it is a work in progress, and though it feels unfinished in places, no overdubbing was made, so you get a good feel for the direction of the album. A fine tribute. "Satisfied Mind" is incredible.

There have been several other releases, and live dvd concerts as some have mentioned.

Ally, you were definitely lucky to have seen Tim live. You likely saw more of him than Jeff did. He once said that the only thing his father gave him was a fleeting look. Ouch. Anyway, Jeff was a great talent in his own right.

It's nice to see some Jeff fans here :). Has anyone seen Jeff live?

LOVE Jeff Buckley! Of all the artists whose lives were cut short, having to say 'what could've been' about him probably hurts the most.

I'd read that Pagey was a big fan of his.

From the "Grace" album, 'Dream Brother' is one of my favourite tracks (along with 'Hallelujah' because I love Leonard Cohen, and because it's one of the best versions of the song out there). Matt Johnson's percussion is incredible on that song.

Before "Grace" came out, Jeff released "Live at Sin-e". It's just Jeff and a Tele and it'll blow you away. No back ups, no dubbing, no band, very raw. He could really fill a room with the barest of essentials.

Then after his sad passing, "Sketches From My Sweetheart the Drunk" was released. This is a 2-CD compilation of what was to be the follow up to "Grace". You can tell it is a work in progress, and though it feels unfinished in places, no overdubbing was made, so you get a good feel for the direction of the album. A fine tribute. "Satisfied Mind" is incredible.

There have been several other releases, and live dvd concerts as some have mentioned.

Ally, you were definitely lucky to have seen Tim live. You likely saw more of him than Jeff did. He once said that the only thing his father gave him was a fleeting look. Ouch. Anyway, Jeff was a great talent in his own right.

It's nice to see some Jeff fans here :). Has anyone seen Jeff live?

His version of Hallelujah brings tears to my eyes it's so beautiful. I love the live version from the Sine CD as well. I do agree with you on Sketches feeling a bit unfinished. The song Opened Once is so moving.

Robert is also a big fan of Jeff's. He (Jeff) did a great version of Night Flight too :D

His version of Hallelujah brings tears to my eyes it's so beautiful. I love the live version from the Sine CD as well. I do agree with you on Sketches feeling a bit unfinished. The song Opened Once is so moving.

Robert is also a big fan of Jeff's. He (Jeff) did a great version of Night Flight too :D

What's this? Do you know where that's on? Bootleg or legit release? I couldn't find it on his official site.

You must have a different version of the Sine CD (there was a rerelease; must look into it). Mine has Mojo Pin, Eternal Life, Je N'en Connais Pas La Fin, The Way Young Lovers Do.

Yeah some covers are better left not done, but Jeff's rendition of H really captures the essence of the song.

I once went to this tribute gathering for Jeff here in Toronto and while it was a bit lacklustre (picture a college event with a college crowd, haphazard and unpolished), his mom attended it and she was super nice. It wasn't too long after Jeff's passing and it seemed like she needed to be there, feeding off the love for her son. I must say she's been very generous with being willing to release his material and we are the better for it.

What's this? Do you know where that's on? Bootleg or legit release? I couldn't find it on his official site.

You must have a different version of the Sine CD (there was a rerelease; must look into it). Mine has Mojo Pin, Eternal Life, Je N'en Connais Pas La Fin, The Way Young Lovers Do.

Yeah some covers are better left not done, but Jeff's rendition of H really captures the essence of the song.

I once went to this tribute gathering for Jeff here in Toronto and while it was a bit lacklustre (picture a college event with a college crowd, haphazard and unpolished), his mom attended it and she was super nice. It wasn't too long after Jeff's passing and it seemed like she needed to be there, feeding off the love for her son. I must say she's been very generous with being willing to release his material and we are the better for it.

That's strange - it's on my Sin-e CD. It's fantastic. I probably have the reissue then. I'd say it's worth buying indeed. I think Jeff does a better version of Hallelujah than Leonard Cohen dare I :o The only other person I've heard really move me with that song is Rufus Wainwright.

Shame the tribute gathering was a bit lacklustre but that's great his mum showed up.

NIGHT FLIGHT

(Studio version by Jeff Buckley, an outtake from the Grace sessions)

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=UKcHtn-im8M

Since there is a bit of confusion bout the Sin-E record : The original had only the few songs mentioned before, but it has been reissued as a 2cd set "Legacy Edition"with two whole concerts on it (with also a live version of Night Flight on it)

The 2cd is amazing, if you don't have it go get it or else you are truly missing something.

Thanks for the info, Ninelives and Reswati. I'm adding that 2CD Sine compilation to my Christmas wish list!

And I know what you mean about Cohen, ninelives, often times I prefer to read his lyrics :D than hear him singing them. He has a wonderfully resonant speaking voice, and is of course a master with words, I'm just not a big fan of his singing

p.s. That link is awesome! :thumbsup:

And in fact, according to him, introduced Jimmy to his music.

Cool info, thanks Knebby. RIP Jeff, he was one of the most creative and forward thinking musicians in a very long time. He influenced many artists and music lovers including myself. All my love for Jeff.

Love Jeff Buckley. Beyond being an excellent musician himself, he was a great fan of different types of music which really cultivated the music he put out. I remember the first interview I read of his & he went on about Led Zeppelin as much as he did the Smiths & Nina Simone. I knew I had to get his album instantly.

Over 10 years later I'm still a fan & through his style I also became a fan of Elliott Smith(RIP) & Rufus Wainwright. Still, neither of them can/could match Buckley.

Love Jeff Buckley. Beyond being an excellent musician himself, he was a great fan of different types of music which really cultivated the music he put out. I remember the first interview I read of his & he went on about Led Zeppelin as much as he did the Smiths & Nina Simone. I knew I had to get his album instantly.

Over 10 years later I'm still a fan & through his style I also became a fan of Elliott Smith(RIP) & Rufus Wainwright. Still, neither of them can/could match Buckley.

I absolutely LOVE Rufus Wainwright. Different style than Buckley but a very unique songwriter and his voice is stunning. I've seen him in concert many many times.

I absolutely LOVE Rufus Wainwright. Different style than Buckley but a very unique songwriter and his voice is stunning. I've seen him in concert many many times.

I say this as a straight man, but I do love.... (whispering very lightly) that Judy Garland album he did.

Fuck it! It's awesome, I admit. My friend Kevin played it for me & I was shocked by how good those songs were/are. His voice is always great but the songs suited him very nicely & he really pulled it off.

I say this as a straight man, but I do love.... (whispering very lightly) that Judy Garland album he did.

Fuck it! It's awesome, I admit. My friend Kevin played it for me & I was shocked by how good those songs were/are. His voice is always great but the songs suited him very nicely & he really pulled it off.

He did a great job with the Judy songs. I didn't see it in concert though. His last album Release the Stars is by far my favorite, alongside Want I. As an aside, his sister Martha has her own singing career - totally different style than Rufus but I like her as well.

Archived