Hellhound on my trail

Swede

I know some of you are fans of the blues.

If there ever was a musical genre I always return to and always appreciate, it's the blues. I discovered Elmore James when I was in my early teens and got really hooked by his slide guitar and haunting voice. I soon found out about Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Big Bill Bronzy, Son House, Robert Johnson, Hound Dog Taylor, B.B. King and Bo Diddley and whenever I could afford a record I purchased those cheap 80's blues comps they had in the record store.

Still today I hunt down records by different blues artist and the blues never cease to amaze me.

Is there anyone here that feel the same as I do about the blues?

Here's two favourites I never grow tired of:

If there ever was a musical genre I always return to and always appreciate, it's the blues. I discovered Elmore James when I was in my early teens and got really hooked by his slide guitar and haunting voice. I soon found out about Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Big Bill Bronzy, Son House, Robert Johnson, Hound Dog Taylor, B.B. King and Bo Diddley and whenever I could afford a record I purchased those cheap 80's blues comps they had in the record store.

Still today I hunt down records by different blues artist and the blues never cease to amaze me.

I know your thread was for old blues players but the title reminded of a great song.

I know your thread was for old blues players but the title reminded of a great song.

Savoy Brown was a great band. They've made a great deal of fine records. I especially like the one's including singer Chris Youlden. I believe he sang on four of their records, Getting To The Point, Blue Matter, A Step Further and Raw Sienna.

This one's a classic from A Step Further:

Savoy Brown - I'm Tired

Here's the song that inspired the thread name:

Robert Johnson - Hellhound On My Trail

B)

Savoy Brown was a great band. They've made a great deal of fine records. I especially like the one's including singer Chris Youlden. I believe he sang on four of their records, Getting To The Point, Blue Matter, A Step Further and Raw Sienna.

This one's a classic from A Step Further:

Savoy Brown - I'm Tired

Here's the song that inspired the thread name:

Robert Johnson - Hellhound On My Trail

B)

I have, Looking In and Raw Sienna.

This is a real gemm, a favorite of mine with Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. John McVie and Mick Fleetwood is one of the best rhythm sections I've ever heard and together with Peter Green they sure made magic. Peter Green has a great soulful voice and he's guitar is really on fire on this tune:

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Drifting

It taken from The Original Fleetwood Mac which was released in 1971. It's avalible on CD.

200px-The_Original_Fleetwood_Mac.jpg

This is a real gemm, a favorite of mine with Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. John McVie and Mick Fleetwood is one of the best rhythm sections I've ever heard and together with Peter Green they sure made magic. Peter Green has a great soulful voice and he's guitar is really on fire on this tune:

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac - Drifting

It taken from The Original Fleetwood Mac which was released in 1971. It's avalible on CD.

200px-The_Original_Fleetwood_Mac.jpg

I have Peter Green's The End of The Game and there's a few good songs on it. I like this one....sounds good!

^^ Yeah caroselambra, that is a mystery!

I read that Fleetwood Mac was about to reunite again, but of course, it's the later incarnation with Stevie Nicks and whatever his name is (I don't remeber). I'd give ANYTHING to see Mick and John work with Peter Green again.

I have Peter Green's The End of The Game and there's a few good songs on it. I like this one....sounds good!

I haven't heard much of his solo stuff, which is a shame. But hopefully I'll check it out someday. Many says Peter Green's Splinter Group is great too.

You might like this one as well, one of the last songs he recorded with Fleetwood Mac:

The Green Manalishi

I haven't heard much of his solo stuff, which is a shame. But hopefully I'll check it out someday. Many says Peter Green's Splinter Group is great too.

You might like this one as well, one of the last songs he recorded with Fleetwood Mac:

The Green Manalishi

Nice! You oughta like this. Turning Point is one of my favorites.

The blues are great. I'm gonna down the list of what I know.

Big Bill Broonzey is pretty cool. His "Sings Folk Songs" album is solid.

John Lee Hooker is one of my favorite bluesman and also one of my favorite for the Chicago Blues sound.

Hound Dog Taylor....he couldn't play guitar that well at all, but damn he made it sound great. We lost him 30+ years ago sadly.

Howlin' Wolf is a bit to get into, mainly for his voice, but it's the man...

B.B. King...it's the king, baby, he's pretty amazing, but some of his early stuff is good, but meh. I prefer his later sound.

Muddy Waters, well sadly (as well the others here) is one of the greatest bluesman ever, and yet today, he is underrated and forgotten by a large amount. Shame.

How's it going "Swede?" Long time no hear. You definitely know your shit when it comes to the Blues. I just wanted to add some more names to your list of legendary Blues greats. SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON & JOHN LEE HOOKER. What about JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS. I'm sure that there are many more legendary Blues greats that I failed to mention. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Swede?" Long time no hear. You definitely know your shit when it comes to the Blues. I just wanted to add some more names to your list of legendary Blues greats. SONNY BOY WILLIAMSON & JOHN LEE HOOKER. What about JOHN MAYALL & THE BLUESBREAKERS. I'm sure that there are many more legendary Blues greats that I failed to mention. ROCK ON!

My favs: Albert King (and the other 2 kings: BB and Freddie), John Lee Hooker (I just got into him), Robert Johnson (of course), Buddy Guy (watched yesterday the concert Live, The Real Deal!. worth checking out!, SRV (definitely one of my favs) etc. I plan on checking out Muddy Waters these days.

John Lee Hooker - Blues Before Sunrise

(arguably his most well-known song)

le> I've just come across this version of Red House done by JLH. Pretty awesome!

My favorites are John Lee Hooker, Robert Johnson and Howlin' wolf...they are amazing blues artists..

I think I got into blues music after hearing a couple of songs by John Lee Hooker...I really love his voice and way of singing...

Here's one of my favs

I know this is not your typical blues but it is a good reason for the blues and I thought it was funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL3dNfxcpnw

It could be spats' thread's theme song.

Reverand Gary Davis did some cool songs that Hot Tuna covers pretty well.

I hadn't heard Reverend Gary Davis before, so I had to check him out on youtube. Sounds really great! Jackson Browne did a cover of his Cocain Blues, which is great too.

Thanks for the tip!

I know this is not your typical blues but it is a good reason for the blues and I thought it was funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL3dNfxcpnw

It could be spats' thread's theme song.

LOL I saw Grinderman this summer, they sure put on a great show. Cave is cool, as is his crazy guitarist! :D :D

hey, swede! the three artists that you have chosen could not be better. those blues stick to the spine like heroin. i love all the blues spoken here but i would have to add the great muddy waters to the list of "kings". not only a great writer, vocalist and slide guitar player, this man shared a trait with jimmy page in that he could build a band that was transcendent. his move to electric created a sub-genre that is alive today.

here's muddy and band playing to the staid festival audience at the newport jazz fest:

hoochie coochie man

Archived