Pearl Jam's Deluxe 'Ten' Reissue

The Pagemeister

Pearl Jam Raids Vaults For 'Ten' Reissue

56251-pearl_jam_06l.gif

Pearl Jam has unearthed a host of unreleased tracks and special surprises from its vaults for a deluxe reissue of its fabled 1991 debut album, "Ten." Four different editions will be available March 29 from Epic; pre-orders begin today (Dec. 10) at PearlJam.com.

Each version includes a digitally remastered version of the original album as well as a completely new remix of the set by longtime producer Brendan O'Brien, who did not work on "Ten" but produced Pearl Jam's subsequent four albums. Bassist Jeff Ament and designer Andy Fischer teamed to revamp the artwork.

The O'Brien disc also includes six previously unreleased songs from the era: early versions of "Breath" and "State of Love and Trust," "Just a Girl," "Evil Little Goat" and "2,000 Mile Blues," a Stevie Ray Vaughan-inspired jam with improvised vocals from frontman Eddie Vedder.

Band members have been asking O'Brien to take a crack at a complete remix for years, and he gave the idea a trial run when he remixed the "Ten" tracks "Once," "Black" and "Alive" for Pearl Jam's 2004 greatest hits album "Rearviewmirror."

"The original 'Ten' sound is what millions of people bought, dug and loved, so I was initially hesitant to mess around with that," says O'Brien of the album, which has sold 9.58 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and vaulted Pearl Jam to global superstardom. "After years of persistent nudging from the band, I was able to wrap my head around the idea of offering it as a companion piece to the original -- giving a fresh take on it, a more direct sound."

The "Legacy" edition of "Ten" adds a DVD of Pearl Jam's previously unreleased 1992 performance on "MTV Unplugged," including a never-aired version of "Oceans." The audio has been remixed in 5.1 surround sound. Fans can also opt for a double-vinyl version featuring the original "Ten" on one LP and O'Brien's remix on the other.

But the package sure to send hardcore fans into a tizzy is the "Super Deluxe Edition," which features two CDs, a DVD and four vinyl records. It is housed in a linen-covered, slip-cased clamshell box with a replica of an item second to none in Pearl Jam lore.

In 1990, when bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard and Mike McCready were getting the nascent Pearl Jam going in Seattle, they recorded three instrumentals to send to the then-unknown Eddie Vedder, who'd been recommended by Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Jack Irons.

Vedder, then living in San Diego, overdubbed vocals onto the tape, in the process creating the songs "Alive," "Once" and "Footsteps" (he was invited to join the band within weeks). Poor quality bootlegs of the demo, dubbed "Momma-Son," have circulated for years, but the "Super Deluxe Edition" will include a crystal-clear dub of the tape on a replica cassette.

In addition, fans will receive Pearl Jam's previously unreleased Sept. 20, 1992, concert at Seattle's Magnuson Park (dubbed Drop in the Park) on two vinyl LPs and a replica of Vedder's composition notebook packed with notes, photos and memorabilia from the "Ten" era.

The "Ten" reissue is the first piece of a two-year campaign culminating with the band's 20th anniversary in 2011. Additional details have yet to be announced.

Meanwhile, Pearl Jam is recording its ninth studio album (its first with O'Brien producing since 1998's "Yield"), which is expected for release next year.

^ That's great !

I especially want to hear the remix because I always thought the original mix lacked a certain Ummphhh....

I have a great soundboard of a summer of '92 show in Europe supporting '10'. Also saw PJ at that summer's Lollapalooza tour. :D

WooooHooooooooooooooooo !!!!!

What's the suprise? A locket of Eddie's hair.

Surprise ? I couldn't careless. As I'd said the BIG draw for me will be the multitrack reworking by Brendan from the original tapes. I love the album and to hear it mixed completely different will be welcomed and very exciting.

I only care for their music, and couldn't care less about any other FOO FOO that may appeal to others.

Surprise ? I couldn't careless. As I'd said the BIG draw for me will be the multitrack reworking by Brendan from the original tapes. I love the album and to hear it mixed completely different will be welcomed and very exciting.

I only care for their music, and couldn't care less about any other FOO FOO that may appeal to others.

Opps. I quoted the wrong post. Sorry Devil. It was the meant for Pagemeister.

• 2 months later...

Several tracks from the deluxe edition of PEARL JAM's 1991 debut album, "Ten", have been posted on the band's MySpace page. Included are cuts from PEARL JAM's "Unplugged" performance and the Drop In The Park concert which you can get in the "super deluxe" edition of "Ten".

The deluxe edition of < "Ten" will arrive on March 24 in four different versions. Each version will include the remastered original album, a completely new remix by O'Brien and six previously unreleased songs from the same period, while different configurations will contain a live DVD, a vinyl copy of the album and a duplicate copy of the original 1990 PEARL JAM demo on cassette.

PEARL JAM will release its ninth studio album on its own, according to Billboard.com. Following its departure from longtime home Epic Records several years ago, the group signed a one-album deal with RCA/J Records for 2006's self-titled eighth effort, which wound up selling 704,000 copies. Now the band has confirmed that it will issue its next outing without a label, although other details are scarce. Singer Eddie Vedder told RollingStone.com, "The new record feels good so far — really strong and uptempo, stuff we can sink our teeth into."

The group is about to begin a two-week studio session in Los Angeles with longtime friend and producer Brendan O'Brien, whose last album with the band was 1998's "Yield".

Bassist Jeff Ament said that the non-singing members of PEARL JAM laid down some musical tracks in December, and that Vedder "put rough vocals on about half the stuff we worked on . . . . There's a handful of really great lyrics. Lyrically, that stuff is in the embryonic stage, but there's a handful of lines and a couple of choruses that are just really great. He keeps getting better."

PEARL JAM expects to release the new album sometime in 2009.

I wouldn't mind checking this out. I loved "Ten" when it came out. Haven't listened to it in ages though. My interest in Pearl Jam deteriorated with each new album they put out, but I'll always have a soft spot for "Ten".

I wouldn't mind checking this out. I loved "Ten" when it came out. Haven't listened to it in ages though. My interest in Pearl Jam deteriorated with each new album they put out, but I'll always have a soft spot for "Ten".

I loved their first two records but then I too lost a bit of interest. But Ten is great!

I have preorderd the Super Deluxe. Has tons of stuff. The main thing being vinyls of the original album, the remix and Drop In the Park show.

Also, fanclub preorders have a chance at being signed.

There is alot of other stuff that will be cool to dig through.

• 1 month later...

TEN

Landmark Ten now an 11 after producer O'Brien's masterful remixing

By DARRYL STERDAN -- Sun Media

There are good do-overs and bad do-overs.

George Lucas and Steven Spielberg going back and changing their movies? Bad do-overs. Pearl Jam getting their preferred producer Brendan O'Brien to go back and remix Ten? Coulda been a truly bad do-over. Turns out to be a great one.

The reason? It's not what O'Brien does; it's what he doesn't do. Instead of trying to fix what wasn't broke or put his own stamp on the proceedings, the star producer -- who previously remixed three of these tunes for a 2003 hits collection -- performs something akin to sonic liposuction, stripping away layers of echo, reverb and other sonic baffling that cluttered the 1991 version. The result? A leaner, cleaner and meaner-sounding album that honours the band's original vision while vastly improving the presentation.

Speaking of improved presentation, there are four versions of Ten: A two-disc Legacy version that includes the remastered original mix and O'Brien's new version; a vinyl version; a Deluxe Edition with the CDs and a DVD of their 1992 Unplugged appearance; and a $125 Super Deluxe Edition that includes the CDs, the DVD, the vinyl, two more LPs with a 1992 live concert, a cassette version of their original Momma-Son demo tape -- and pictures, a notebook, a two-sided print and other memorabilia.

ORIGINAL TRACKS

Once 3:52

The drums are snappier, the guitars are crisper, there's less reverb, more clarity and better separation. Basically, everything just sounds better. Cool so far.

Even Flow 4:53

Those big, booming vocals in the chorus? They've been toned way down. But the middle section now includes a spoken-word vocal from Eddie Vedder, begging for change.

Alive 5:41

The ringing, cavernous reverb has been stripped away to get at the song beneath. And here's a treat: Mike McCready's solo on the remastered version differs from the one on the remix.

Why Go 3:19

Again, there's less echo and more space, allowing Jeff Ament's muscular bassline and the interplay between McCready and Stone Gossard's guitars to take centre stage.

Black 5:39

The mono start is the same. But it opens wider than before, with vocals and guitars that are clearer and more nuanced. It's almost like hearing the song for the first time.

Jeremy 5:17

Ament's lumbering bass is more pointed and less rubbery, the guitars gnash their teeth with more ferocity, and the backups really come through. All subtle improvements.

Oceans 2:41

No major changes -- but then, it's a pretty simple, straightforward folk number. Still, this version seems less, er, watery than the original.

Porch 3:30

Brendan O'Brien tightens the drums and jacks the guitars way up, giving the song extra heft and momentum.

Garden 4:58

The original was sorta boomy and blah. O'Brien clarifies everything so you can hear what's going on and gain new appreciation for it.

Deep 4:18

More articulation and separation between McCready and Gossard's dueling guitars adds extra layers to this bluesy 6/8 rock waltz.

Release 8:59

The drony ballad benefits from the same crispness as the rest of the CD -- but O'Brien apparently snips away about 10 seconds from the hidden Master/Slave soundscape.

NEW TRACKS

Brother 4:00

It's a solid midtempo rocker -- but the preponderance of chunky power chords and clumsy drums make it seem a little amateurish.

Just A Girl 5:03

The mood is dark, the groove is sparsely funk but the chorus is weak and Eddie's vocals seem a little out of his comfort zone. Good, not great.

Breath 5:59

You might remember this lumbering rocker from the Singles soundtrack. This longer version is slightly heavier and slower.

State of Love and Trust 4:49

Another Singles track, but rawer and more deliberately paced. Some enthusiastic studio chatter at the end is a nice little bonus.

2000 Mile Blues 3:58

Yep, it's a blues jam. But a pretty decent one, thanks to some smoking solos from McCready.

Evil Little Goat 1:30

It might be the best PJ song title ever. But the tune itself is just a tossed-off improvisation that seems included here to end things on a light note. It works.

Archived