Is "Led Zeppelin" the Greatest Band ever?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine any other band being selected by XM Satellite Radio for rating their own channel.

When I heard about XM Led, I was ecstatic. Led Zeppelin, for me, is hard rock ecstasy combined with killer acoustic work.

I sort of lost touch after I wore out the 4th album and my tastes shifted to jazz, but now I'm glad I can explore their later work listening to XM Radio.

For me, jazz = Weather Report, and hard rock = LZ, if I had to pick one group for each type. If I could have only 3 hard rock albums, I'd take their first three albums.

Yes, I vote LZ as the greatest hard rock band ever.

I dont have XM but i wish i did, when i found out they had their own station! Well...just another thing to add to their glory. Its awsome that its helping you rediscover them. If you wan't i could reccomend alot of good zep songs for you, that might not have heard.

Robert Plant I believe was at one point the greatest Rock vocalist ever, but now would only be below Freddie Mercury of Queen.

I disagree with that. After all, Freddie Mercury largely modelled himself on Plant. You can hear it everywhere.

Not saying that Plant is the greatest rock vocalist ever (it's hard to say who is) but he is NOT 'below Freddie Mercury'.

No way.

I disagree with that. After all, Freddie Mercury largely modelled himself on Plant. You can hear it everywhere.

Not saying that Plant is the greatest rock vocalist ever (it's hard to say who is) but he is NOT 'below Freddie Mercury'.

No way.

I agree that Mercury modeled parts of himself after Plant, that was his favorite after all. And I hate doing this because Zep is my favorite band, it kills me to say anyone might be better then any of them. But you say with such certainty that he is not below? Who not? I do believe Plant had more swagger, and more of a hard rock god voice, etc...Robert did just about everything right. But have you listened to much of Freddie's voice...no one and i mean no one has that range. Not saying range is everything but just overall. And im not saying Mercury blows him out of the water, its a tough call.

I agree that Mercury modeled parts of himself after Plant, that was his favorite after all. And I hate doing this because Zep is my favorite band, it kills me to say anyone might be better then any of them. But you say with such certainty that he is not below? Who not?

Listen to Whole Lotta Love or Black Dog or Immigrant Song for your answer. You think that might be 'below' Mercury????

I don't. Not for a minute.

I do believe Plant had more swagger, and more of a hard rock god voice, etc...Robert did just about everything right. But have you listened to much of Freddie's voice...no one and i mean no one has that range.

Yes I have listened to a lot of Mercury and I wouldn't say he is 'below' Plant either.

I'm not saying either is 'below' the other.

Ann Wilson has the best rock voice I have ever heard..............but Robert Plant is not 'below' her.

Edited by Mangani
I dont have XM but i wish i did, when i found out they had their own station! Well...just another thing to add to their glory. Its awsome that its helping you rediscover them. If you wan't i could reccomend alot of good zep songs for you, that might not have heard.

You can listen to XM online and there is a free trial.

http://www.xmradio.com/

No way.

I don't think Freddie modeled himself on anyone, really.

It does not even come into my mind to compare Robert Plant with Freddy Mercury. And how could Queen be compared with Led Zeppelin, anyhow?

So, who is Freddy Mercury??

Queen were heavily influenced by Zeppelin in the early days, so it would not surprise me if Mercury borrowed a few ideas from Plant. However Mercury surely became his own character altogether by the midpoint of the 70s.

I fully agree with ZOSO 88 notes but I still consider Plant as the greatest vocalist and jones as the greatest bassist...of course, this applies to Page & Bonham:greatest guitarist and greatest drummer respectively...and still wondering if Led Zeppelin is the greatest band ever...? Yes it is indeed.

Queen were heavily influenced by Zeppelin in the early days, so it would not surprise me if Mercury borrowed a few ideas from Plant. However Mercury surely became his own character altogether by the midpoint of the 70s.

I didn't intend to hurt any Queen-Fan but it really surprises me that I'm not able to find anything in their music at all when so many Led Zeps Fans compare the two bands (or singers). Queen's work is such a bombastic firework - more suitable for the posh atmosphere in opera-halls than the somehow "immortal feeling" in rock'n-roll-concerts I can't really describe with words. I can't find any similarity to the music of Led Zeppelin (which was never beaten from any music on my personal list). The soundpatterns of Queen and Freddy Mercury's voice anoy me and normally I switch out the radio when they are on air. Of course I do like other bands and I listen to a very wide range of music but Led Zeppelin accompanied me nearly during my whole life. Their work influenced me very strong. Their concert in Munich in July 1980 was the first concert for me ever - you can imagine how John Bonhams death some month later (five days after my 16th birthday) and the following quit of "my" band stroke me. Though, Led Zeps sound goes on and on in my head. It makes me happy and sometimes sad but most of the time it just hits my soul and flashes my inner light with such an intense that I'm feeling simply as "sweet-sixteen" again.

It makes me wonder why their music has the power to make tears running down my cheaks from time to time - maybe only because I now know that we are not immortal at all. Or are we, after all?

Wow, great post Tinkerbell. I like what you wrote there.

Oh and I shouldn't worry about this|:

I didn't intend to hurt any Queen-Fan but it really surprises me that I'm not able to find anything in their music at all...........

If this was a Queen forum that might be different but it's not. :D

I didn't intend to hurt any Queen-Fan but it really surprises me that I'm not able to find anything in their music at all when so many Led Zeps Fans compare the two bands (or singers). Queen's work is such a bombastic firework - more suitable for the posh atmosphere in opera-halls than the somehow "immortal feeling" in rock'n-roll-concerts I can't really describe with words. I can't find any similarity to the music of Led Zeppelin (which was never beaten from any music on my personal list). The soundpatterns of Queen and Freddy Mercury's voice anoy me and normally I switch out the radio when they are on air. Of course I do like other bands and I listen to a very wide range of music but Led Zeppelin accompanied me nearly during my whole life. Their work influenced me very strong. Their concert in Munich in July 1980 was the first concert for me ever - you can imagine how John Bonhams death some month later (five days after my 16th birthday) and the following quit of "my" band stroke me. Though, Led Zeps sound goes on and on in my head. It makes me happy and sometimes sad but most of the time it just hits my soul and flashes my inner light with such an intense that I'm feeling simply as "sweet-sixteen" again.

It makes me wonder why their music has the power to make tears running down my cheaks from time to time - maybe only because I now know that we are not immortal at all. Or are we, after all?

Don't worry about hurting Queen fan's feelings, im a queen fan but it doesn't bother me that your having a hard time finding similarities between the two groups, there were both unique onto themselves. The difference between Queen and every other Zep-clone is that Queen was skilled enough to find their own voice and style instead of outright copying the flavor. Listen to "Innuendo" which sounds like "Kashmir". All in all though Queen overall was totally different from LZ, they were just heavily influenced by them, and it seems as no coincidence that I have never seen a band besides Queen, play venues anywhere near the size of what LZ did. Why you would get annoyed by their music, i dont know, but its all personal taste so its cool. At least you like LZ so your certainly not musically shallow! lol. I like both bands alot so...I just enjoy all the music.