Are we all Anti-Stairway

McSeven

...I couldn't get out of the car until it was over, even though I was on a tight schedule. I was thinking how ridiculous it was that I couldn't turn the song off as I have dozens of versions of the song on CD, vinyl, DVD, IPOD, etc..., but I just could not bear to miss hearing the ending.

Wow am I glad I'm not the only one that does this to LZ! It doesn' t matter what song it is. For crying out loud, my Ipod is sitting on the seat right next to me and I can hear any LZ tune I want. :slapface:

I think some hardcore fans resented the fact that because of it, much of the other stuff the band did got neglected.

I think this is a better of way of stating it rather than we're "bashing" it. Unless someone here truly does not like the song, I don't think we're bashing.

I can understand Robert's disdain about singing it after all these years, just like the rest of us he hears it on the radio and probably thinks, "fuck, Led Zeppelin is much more than this."

I'm sorry to keep commenting on other people's comments, but I wasn't able to fully express how I felt on the Anti-Stairway thread the first time. Thanks for the help! :D

Great song, a classic indeed. But unfortunately, overexposed.

Since the 80s I think songs like Over the Hills, Dyer Maker, Fool in the Rain, and Heartbreaker/LLM have been played far more often than Stairway. It went through a period of overexposure when most radio listeners 30 and under weren't even born, after which it's actually been virtually blacklisted from the airwaves and the "overexposure" part has become an urban myth, perpetuated by stuff like that scene in Wayne's World (Stairway - Denied!).

I wish there were some statistics we could look at for how often it's been played in the modern era. I know royalties have to be paid so the stats must exist somewhere. But really, I hear it only infrequently on classic rock stations.

I have to admit I dont like the live versions so much, except for some of the guitar solos. I find the studio version magical.

I think the earliest live versions are good, like the BBC one. But the delicate guitar layering was never replicated live, despite the doubleneck.

I think the earliest live versions are good, like the BBC one. But the delicate guitar layering was never replicated live, despite the doubleneck.

That's why i prefer the studio version. B)

Despite having listened to it a lot when I first started getting into lz I still listen to it from time to time, it's just a really good song.

Hi Virginia,all,

I think I OD'd on it in high school. Now I just listen to live versions; haven't listened to the studio version in quite some time.

:lol:

Someone posted a YouTube version,that kick-you-know-what!The band was on fire on that song.Link?Please post it,...

KB

I ONLY LIKE THE SOLO I HATE THE SONG WHEN THE RADEO PLAYS IT PEOPLE SAY OH ITS LED ZEPPELIN I LOVE THIS SONG I THINK WELL ZEPPELIN HAVE SONGS THAT SLAUGHTER THIS GLITTERS IS GOLD CRAP THAY DONT REALLY KNOW LED ZEPPELIN BUT WHEN THE SONG PICS UP AT THE END WITH THE SOLO I TURN THAT UP >>>>>>>EVERY BODY KNOWS THAT SONG >>>>>OH WELL ZEPPELIN STILL ROCK

With all this verbal diahorrea getting thrown around it's more like a bowel movement! :o

:hysterical: Thanks-that made my day

Anyways... :offtopic:

I love Stairway - one of my faves. Not nessecarily their best song (Achilles,Kashmir, In My Time Of Dying...) but pretty good. I don't currently have any live versions on CD, but will stick TSRTS in my DVD player to hear it live. This is the only time I'll ever say this: I'm actually kinda glad that I missed their heyday. Wait - before you jump down me throat - because I never got sick of the overplay. I've counted five times that I've heard it on the radio. Apparently even the radio stations got sick of it... :huh:

I'm not anti Stairway, for me the problem is that its over played and become a bit cliched (like Smoke On The Water).

It is the best song they ever made IMO, lyrically, musically its all there. Trouble is that the 'wow' factor you get when you first heard it diminishes after you hear it being played on the radio all the time etc.

For me the way they played it at the O2 reinstated it as the best Zeppelin track because played a key lower it sounded so different and not like what gets overplayed or cliched.

well im a huge led zeppelin fan and ive heard every single song on every single album and bootlegs as well.. i am an obsessed led head.. but forgive me but stairway is my favorite song.. that last 4 minutes is the greatest 4 minutes in rock n roll.. thats what rock is all about.. the beginning is what guitarists try to learn.. and plants best lyrics imop. the imagery, the solo, everything is there.. the magic that is the mighty led zeppelin is ALL there.. but to me every one of their songs is amazing.. the only songs that are ok (still NOT bad songs) walter's walk.. ozone baby still are good songs just not great.. but zeppelin's genius never put out a bad musical thought imop..

I wonder if we Zep heads are anti Stairway. I can't listen to that song on a regular basis. I can only listen to it full maybe four times a year.

I wonder why I have that elitist attitude. Do you find other Zepheads acting all anti-Stairway when you talk or listen to Zeppelin?

Mc7

How's it going "McSeven?" I truly love "Stairway To Heaven" but I have abused listening to the song over and over again for decades. If there is such a thing as LED ZEPPELIN addiction as far as listening to their music time and time again, I am guilty of it. I admit, I love their music and I can listen to them over and over again but I do need to take a break from their music once in a while. However, its no different then having to take a break from THE BEATLES, THE JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE, THE ROLLING STONES, THE WHO, DEEP PURPLE, THE BEACH BOYS etc... And all of these bands are my all-time favorite bands. I guess that I have an addiction to all of these legendary bands huh? ROCK ON!

You can always tell if someone is a Zeppelin elitist if they bash or hate Stairway. They seem to think that because it's the song everyone knows, it means the song is some overrated piece of pop trash or something. Either that, or they hate it because Robert dislikes it. He doesn't hate it, he just gets tired of singing it.

Of course it's a masterpiece. In my opinion, the greatest song of the 20th Century, and it still beats most of the trash put out nowadays. These people just dont seem to have the logic to understand that it IS a masterpiece, therefore it's a good song, therefore it's popular.

You can always tell if someone is a Zeppelin elitist if they bash or hate Stairway. They seem to think that because it's the song everyone knows, it means the song is some overrated piece of pop trash or something. Either that, or they hate it because Robert dislikes it. He doesn't hate it, he just gets tired of singing it.

Of course it's a masterpiece. In my opinion, the greatest song of the 20th Century, and it still beats most of the trash put out nowadays. These people just dont seem to have the logic to understand that it IS a masterpiece, therefore it's a good song, therefore it's popular.

Don't know if I'd say people are Zep elitists because they aren't into Stairway. People either like a song or they don't for any number of reasons - it's all subjective really. I'd venture to say those that aren't as into the song may feel it's been overplayed on the radio and/or there are other songs they find more suited as best representing Zep's finest hour.

Yes It is overplayed on the radio...but who really cares it is still a great song. I remember first listening to it in grade three!! I remember it at dances growing up (usually the last song played) and hoping that a special someone would dance with you!! Great song, yes I don't want to hear it all the time but when I hear it, it is ALWAYS worth a listen. I'm sure RP is fed up with it...recording, rehearsing, playing it live and catching it on the radio, but he did a brilliant job of it at the O2 show.

Archived