Bands That Should/Shouldnt Be In The Rock And Roll...

LedZep1969

It's not about the bands one likes, it's about their contribution to rock 'n roll music. I don't think there are too many performers that shouldn't have been added to the list, they all had their part ; But there are probably some bands that deserve a place there but didn't get it.

Here's who should be in.

Jeff Beck

The Doobie Brothers

Alice Cooper

Arthur Lee/Love(Just ask Robert Plant)

Yes

Moody Blues

Judas Priest

Chicago

Deep Purple

Hollies

Guess Who

Joe Cocker

JJ Cale

Leon Russell

Journey

Thin Lizzy

Bachman Turner Overdrive

Kingsmen

I can probably think of about 50 others.

Edited by NickZepp

Should: Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, any others?

Shouldnt: Well personally I dont like Pink Floyd or The Beatles but any others?

You may not like them, but the Beatles especially - you can't deny the profound influence they had on music which to me is part of the criteria for being inducted.

You may not like them, but the Beatles especially - you can't deny the profound influence they had on music which to me is part of the criteria for being inducted.

It is a large part of why artists are inducted.

http://www.rockhall.com/inductees/induction-process

Performers

Artists become eligible for induction 25 years after the release of their first record. Criteria include the influence and significance of the artists’ contributions to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll.

Whether you like them or not.... KISS , Journey, RUSH ... should all be in the RNRHOF... :D

The following shouldn't:

Madonna (what a joke.... not even rock) :o

Also, some recent very localized NY New Wave/Punk Bands that were inducted shouldn't be in before those above and many more not listed yet... <_<

(only the Ramones and Talking Heads should be in... and Blondie, too) :)

The woman who sang Springsteen's cover of "Because The Night" (Patti Smith shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame (what a joke... she didn't sell many records, only had one single and she didn't even write it, she didn't make international fame and she certainly can't sing)... :slapface:

The Cars should also be in the RNRHOF... :)

R B)

Whether you like them or not.... KISS , Journey, RUSH ... should all be in the RNRHOF... :D

The following shouldn't:

Also, some recent very localized NY New Wave/Punk Bands that were inducted shouldn't be in before those above and many more not listed yet... <_<

The woman who sang Springsteen's cover of "Because The Night" (Patti Smith shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame (what a joke... she didn't sell many records, only had one single and she didn't even write it, she didn't make international fame and she certainly can't sing)... :slapface:

The Cars should also be in the RNRHOF... :)

R B)

I disagree about Patti Smith. She was a huge part of the New York punk scene and has definitely left her influence on future musicians. Her lyrics are really quite something. Selling lots of records doesn't equate to being a good musician as evidenced by people like Britney Spears and I would certainly NOT put her in the HoF when she's eligible.

I imagine it'll be a cold day in hell before Journey are ever inducted into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame and for good reason, just who did they influence?

The following shouldn't:

I'm curious as to what bands you're referring to. Here is the complete list of inductees so far:

http://www.rockhall.com/inductees/inductee-list

That's a very strange way of wording that especially since it was a co-write by Springsteen and Patti Smith. As for the amount of records she's sold, that isn't even part of the criteria for induction, it's influence. If record sales mattered then you wouldn't even see bands like the Velvet Underground in there. And, just what does "international fame" have to do with anything? Not to even mention the fact that she is indeed internationally known. I guess you've never heard of the concerts she's performed in Paris and other locales around the world over the years. I'm not even going to touch "singing ability" as that also doesn't have anything to do with the criteria for induction. Hell, I'm not even a big Patti Smith fan myself but her influence on tons of artists is undeniable.

Patti Smith shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame

Patti Smith's original song,

has a lot of heart, soul and passion. It rocks.

Song Lyrics: "Because the Night"

Recorded by: "Patti Smith"

Written by: (Patti Smith, Bruce Springsteen)

Album: "Easter" Released - March 1978

Take me now baby here as I am

Pull me close, try and understand

Desire is hunger is the fire I breathe

Love is a banquet on which we feed

Come on now try and understand

The way I feel when I'm in your hands

Take my hand come undercover

They can't hurt you now,

Can't hurt you now, can't hurt you now

Because the night belongs to lovers

Because the night belongs to love

Because the night belongs to lovers

Because the night belongs to us

Have I doubt when I'm alone

Love is a ring, the telephone

Love is an angel disguised as lust

Here in our bed until the morning comes

Come on now try and understand

The way I feel under your command

Take my hand as the sun descends

They can't touch you now,

Can't touch you now, can't touch you now

Because the night belongs to lovers ...

With love we sleep

With doubt the vicious circle

Turn and burns

Without you I cannot live

Forgive, the yearning burning

I believe it's time, too real to feel

So touch me now, touch me now, touch me now

Because the night belongs to lovers ...

Because tonight there are two lovers

If we believe in the night we trust

Because tonight there are two lovers ...

Edited by eternal light

People get hot under the collar because band X isn't there "yet". Key word is yet, they can't induct everyone at once, what would be the point of that. If there should be a complaint it's how they induct people, it's confusing. It has less to do with who deserves it in favor of who will generate the most headlines for the upcoming induction ceremony.

I think The Sonics should be in the RARHOF. They have influenced the whole garag rock and punk scene. They are punk rock Gods!

They were way ahead of their time.

Their version of Louie Louie from '66 makes the Kingsmen's and all the other versions sound like Mel Tormé. Check out the guitar breaks and Gerry's screams, f'n fantastic!

sonicsfive.jpg

Madonna doesn't deserve to be in there, I'm not sure if Michael Jackson deserves to be in there either. I don't consider either Rock and Roll.

It's not about whether the artist is considered a "rock and roll" artist that sings "rock" music, but it is their contributions to music in general.

It's not about whether the artist is considered a "rock and roll" artist that sings "rock" music, but it is their contributions to music in general.

Exactly and though both were firmly rooted in pop, pop is a genre or sub-genre of R&R. Both were very influential and contributed, I say both deserve to be there. Besides if you don't like the Jackson 5, the first few MJ solo albums and the first 2 Madonna LP's there is something wrong with you :). I was just jamming Borderline the other day, seriously.

Exactly and though both were firmly rooted in pop, pop is a genre or sub-genre of R&R. Both were very influential and contributed, I say both deserve to be there. Besides if you don't like the Jackson 5, the first few MJ solo albums and the first 2 Madonna LP's there is something wrong with you :). I was just jamming Borderline the other day, seriously.

Thanks man! I am still a fan of Michael's, although he has had alot of personal problems, but you cannot deny the man's talent! I also grew up with the Jackson 5 too. I am also a Madonna fan too, I think she's cool. I just love the 80's music!! :D