Bands That Should/Shouldnt Be In The Rock And Roll...

LedZep1969

Thanks man! I am still a fan of Michael's, although he has had alot of personal problems, but you cannot deny the man's talent! I also grew up with the Jackson 5 too. I am also a Madonna fan too, I think she's cool. I just love the 80's music!! :D

I love a lot of 80s music too. I don't know how I feel about Madonna being inducted. She was really more of a cultural icon (whether one agrees or not) than musically innovative so I don't know if it makes sense or not.

Thanks man! I am still a fan of Michael's, although he has had alot of personal problems, but you cannot deny the man's talent! I also grew up with the Jackson 5 too. I am also a Madonna fan too, I think she's cool. I just love the 80's music!! :D

:banana::banana::banana::D

I think that it is absolutely absurdly ridiculous that Madonna is in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Her music is not rock, but is pop music at it's worst. Just shows how much power and influence that she has. That is what got her into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

She has no talent, she was just a sensationalist weilding her influence on impressionable girls in the 1980's to become a supposed fashion icon. She became popular and rich for her antics outside of music and the media is afraid to get on her bad side so they put her up on a undeserved pedestal and thus give her even more power and influence. I could not tell you a single song that she sang except for "Like a Virgin", and I only know that song from the Bridgette Jones movie.

And Deep Purple should have been in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame long ago. Next to "Stairway to Heaven" their "Smoke on the Water" has to be the second most recognized rock song of all time.

I don't know who exactly is in there and who isn't. I do know that Madonna is in there, and I think that is the biggest load of bull I have ever heard. What did she do for rock music? Establish what it isn't? I do not like Madumba one bit. (sorry about the pun there, I thought it was funny when it popped into my head. Maybe it's just because I'm a teenager who finds such things funny.) Her stuff is also in the Hard Rocks, I know because I saw it, right by John Bonham's drum, that I touched even though the sign said no touching. I simply couldn't resist the urge.

Should: Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, any others?

Shouldnt: Well personally I dont like Pink Floyd or The Beatles but any others?

I'm surprised you weren't thrown on the fire. I brought this subject up soon after I joined as was put directly in my place about the no. of times this had come up.

Oh well, I agree that the RRHOF, should be renamed The Rock & Roll Hall of Shame (or sham)

The Beatles? Telling me your joking, smoked something funny, or severely bumped your head.

I think The Sonics should be in the RARHOF. They have influenced the whole garag rock and punk scene. They are punk rock Gods!

They were way ahead of their time.

Their version of Louie Louie from '66 makes the Kingsmen's and all the other versions sound like Mel Tormé. Check out the guitar breaks and Gerry's screams, f'n fantastic!

sonicsfive.jpg

Hi Swede,

When I first saw your post, I looked forward to the videos of the band you touted. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed. Here is my analysis after thinking about this for a day or two......Maybe they were ahead of their time, but compared to what else was out there at the time, it comes off as a bit lame. Compared to the bands of the first British Invasion during the mid-60's, The Sonics would have never amounted to anything more than a cult band(which they were). When "their time" did come, let's say around 1976/77/78, it was too late. Well thanks for that post.....

Hmmmm....wikipedia has an interesting write-up on the lads..I'll do some more homework.

Edited by JethroTull

It's not about whether the artist is considered a "rock and roll" artist that sings "rock" music, but it is their contributions to music in general.

It's the rock and roll hall of fame not the music hall of fame. If you think of it as contributions to music than Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Hadyn etc should all be in the rock and roll hall of fame. It's not the music hall of fame, it's the rock and roll hall of fame. There is nothing in Michael Jackson's music outside of maybe the Jackson 5 that I consider rock and roll. Same with Madonna.

It's not about the bands one likes, it's about their contribution to rock 'n roll music. I don't think there are too many performers that shouldn't have been added to the list, they all had their part ; But there are probably some bands that deserve a place there but didn't get it.

touche then i guess i take that back

It's the rock and roll hall of fame not the music hall of fame. If you think of it as contributions to music than Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Hadyn etc should all be in the rock and roll hall of fame. It's not the music hall of fame, it's the rock and roll hall of fame. There is nothing in Michael Jackson's music outside of maybe the Jackson 5 that I consider rock and roll. Same with Madonna.

Duh, I know that. :rolleyes: I was going in the direction that the term "rock and roll" is used in general terms to cover all music although these people mentioned aren't actually "rock" singers. Hey, there are lots of R&B artists in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame too, so are you saying they don't deserve to be there either just because they don't sing "rock music"?

Hi Swede,

When I first saw your post, I looked forward to the videos of the band you touted. I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed. Here is my analysis after thinking about this for a day or two......Maybe they were ahead of their time, but compared to what else was out there at the time, it comes off as a bit lame. Compared to the bands of the first British Invasion during the mid-60's, The Sonics would have never amounted to anything more than a cult band(which they were). When "their time" did come, let's say around 1976/77/78, it was too late. Well thanks for that post.....

Hmmmm....wikipedia has an interesting write-up on the lads..I'll do some more homework.

As songwriters, I would not call them inovators, but definitely sound wise. All though their first single "The Witch", from 1964, does have a bit of an unusal chord structure for the time. They sound like a cross between Little Richard on acid and early Kinks playing punk. Their sound was extremely distorted. It's quite an irony they are touring all over the world today having huge crowds, while back in the sixties they reached success only within the Seattle area and the west coast.

Previously Considered Artists

The artists listed below have been nominated (but not inducted) or have consistently received several votes in the Nominating Committee or have been discussed but have never been nominated (through the 2007 Inductions).

Artist - First Eligible

The “5” Royales 1981

ABBA 1998

Afrika Bambaataa 2005

Albert King 1987

Alice Cooper 1994

The Average White Band 1998

The B-52's 2004

Bad Company 1999

Barry White 1998

Beastie Boys 2007

Ben E. King 1986

The Big Bopper 1983

Big Brother & the Holding Company 1992

Billy Ward & The Dominoes 1979

Blind Faith 1994

Blood Sweat & Tears 1993

The Blues Project 1991

Bobby Womack 1992

Boz Scaggs 1990

Canned Heat 1992

Captain Beefheart 1991

The Cars 2003

Cat Stevens 1991

Chaka Khan 2003

The Chantels 1983

Cheap Trick 2002

Chic 2002

Chicago 1994

Chuck Willis 1982

Cliff Richard & the Shadows 1985

The Commodores 1999

Conway Twitty 1984

Country Joe & the Fish 1992

The Crystals 1988

The Cure 2003

Darlene Love 1988

Deep Purple 1993

Def Leppard 2004

Depeche Mode 2006

Devo 2003

Dick Dale 1987

Donna Summer 1999

The Doobie Brothers 1996

Doug Sahm 1998

Dr. Hook 1996

Dr. John 1993

The E Street Band 1998

Electric Light Orchestra 1996

Emerson, Lake & Palmer 1995

Esther Phillips 1975

Eurythmics 2006

The Faces 1995

Fela 1996

The Five Keys 1976

The Five Satins 1981

The Flying Burrito Brothers 1994

The Gap Band 1999

Genesis 1993

Grace Jones 2000

Gram Parsons 1992

The Harptones 1978

Herman's Hermits 1990

The Hollies 1989

Hot Tuna 1995

Huey “Piano” Smith and the Clowns 1984

Iron Butterfly 1993

Iron Maiden 2004

The J. Geils Band 1995

Jack Scott 1980

The Jam 2002

Jeff Beck 1992

Jethro Tull 1993

Jimmy Cliff 1992

Joe Cocker 1994

Joe Tex 1990

Johnny Ace 1980

Johnny Burnette and the Rock N Roll Trio 1981

Johnny Hallyday 1985

Johnny Winter 1994

Judy Collins 1986

Junior Parker 1983

Junior Walker & the All-Stars 1990

Junior Wells 1990

KISS 1999

Kraftwerk 1996

The Last Poets 1995

Laura Nyro 1992

Lee Andrews & the Hearts 1979

Lee Dorsey 1986

Linda Ronstadt 1994

Little Anthony & the Imperials 1984

Lou Reed 1997

Love 1991

Manfred Mann 1988

The Marshall Tucker Band 1998

Mary Wells 1986

MC5 1991

Metallica 2007

The Meters 1994

Mick Jagger 1995

Mitch Ryder 1991

The Monkees 1991

The Moody Blues 1989

Neil Diamond 1988

Neil Sedaka 1984

New York Dolls 1998

Nick Drake 1994

Pat Boone 1980

Patsy Cline 1982

Paul Anka 1983

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band 1988

Peter Gabriel 2002

Peter Tosh 2001

Poco 1994

Procol Harum 1992

Randy Newman 1990

The Replacements 2006

Ringo Starr 1995

Roxy Music 1997

Rufus Thomas 1988

Ry Cooder 1995

Simple Minds 2004

Slim Harpo 1986

Sonny & Cher 1990

The Spencer Davis Group 1990

Steve Miller Band 1993

Steve Winwood 1996

The Stooges 1994

Sugarhill Gang 2004

T. Rex 1993

Teddy Pendergrass 2002

Ten Years After 1992

Three Dog Night 1994

Tim Hardin 1991

Tina Turner 1998

Todd Rundgren 1995

Tom Waits 1998

Tommy James & the Shondells 1991

Treacherous Three 2005

The Turtles 1990

Wanda Jackson 1983

War 1996

Yes 1994

Duh, I know that. :rolleyes: I was going in the direction that the term "rock and roll" is used in general terms to cover all music although these people mentioned aren't actually "rock" singers. Hey, there are lots of R&B artists in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame too, so are you saying they don't deserve to be there either just because they don't sing "rock music"?

R&B isn't that far from Blues and rock music. Which is the essence of rock and roll. There's a clear line from the blues musicians of the 30s and 40s to most of the music in the 60s and 70s. That line got blurred in pupular music by the 80s and 90s although there are some acts in the 2 decades that were rock and roll. There's a lot of acts that were.

Michael Jackson's earlier stuff may be just enough to get him in the R&R hall of fame. But everything after Thriller really didn't do anything for me. All Madonna ever did was show-womanship. I don't think you can consider any of her music actually good or rock and roll.

You have to change the years on some of these since the R&RHOF didn't exist till 1987 I think(or was it 86?) But here's the acts I put in there some of these are just because they are too influential to be left off

Albert King 1987

Alice Cooper 1994

Bad Company 1999

Barry White 1998

BeastieBoys 2007

Ben E. King 1986

The Big Bopper 1983

Blind Faith 1994

Blood Sweat & Tears 1993

Boz Scaggs 1990

Canned Heat 1992

The Cars 2003

Cheap Trick 2002

Chicago 1994

Chuck Willis 1982

The Commodores 1999

Conway Twitty 1984 - Probably closer to boarder line, but he just happened to go into country music. If Conway went into pop like a Neil Diamond he would have been idolized there.

Deep Purple 1993

Depeche Mode 2006

Donna Summer 1999

The Doobie Brothers 1996

Electric Light Orchestra 1996

Emerson, Lake & Palmer 1995

Eurythmics 2006

The Faces 1995

Genesis 1993

The Hollies 1989

The J. Geils Band 1995

Jeff Beck 1992

Jethro Tull 1993

Joe Cocker 1994

Johnny Burnette and the Rock N Roll Trio 1981

Johnny Winter 1994

Lou Reed 1997

Love-Or Arthur Lee 1991

Manfred Mann 1988

Metallica 2007

The Moody Blues 1989

Neil Diamond 1988

New York Dolls 1998

Pat Boone 1980

Patsy Cline 1982 -Best voice in the history of music IMHO

Peter Gabriel 2002

Procol Harum 1992

Rufus Thomas 1988

Simple Minds 2004

Sonny & Cher 1990

The Spencer Davis Group 1990

Steve Miller Band 1993

Steve Winwood 1996

The Stooges 1994

Sugarhill Gang 2004

T. Rex 1993

Three Dog Night 1994-Or just put in Hoyt Axton who wrote half their bigger songs.

Tina Turner 1998

Todd Rundgren 1995

Tom Waits 1998

Tommy James & the Shondells 1991

The Turtles 1990

War 1996

Yes 1994

Here's a list of boarder line guys, their music may just not be good enough in my ears.

ABBA 1998 - Abba should maybe be on the list just cause they've sold a billion records or whatever it is

The B-52's 2004

Cat Stevens 1991

The Cure 2003

Def Leppard 2004

Herman's Hermits 1990

Iron Butterfly 1993

Iron Maiden 2004

KISS 1999 - I do think their music is better than people think, but they are seen more as an image band, so that hurts their music.

The Marshall Tucker Band 1998

Randy Newman 1990

Always interesting to see the list of those not inducted. But some are offshoots of bands that were inducted, so that's understandable. Steve Winwood and Hot Tuna are my two favorite live acts to see regularly, but if Traffic and Jefferson Airplane are already inducted, I think that's adequate.

Genesis, Jethro Tull, Yes, ELO, and Three Dog Night are some of the most suprising ones left out.

Yep. People tend to forget where rock and roll started. By comparison rock's pioneers sounds pretty tame compared to what the definition of rock has become. Madonna sounds like Hardcore compared to Bobby Darin singing something like Danke Schön. It's important to remember rock and roll covers a lot, A LOT, of ground. From Chubby Checker to today's Screamo bands, by definition it's all rock. I'm pretty sure Michael Jackson and Madonna fit in there somewhere.

Yep. People tend to forget where rock and roll started. By comparison rock's pioneers sounds pretty tame compared to what the definition of rock has become. Madonna sounds like Hardcore compared to Bobby Darin singing something like Danke Schön. It's important to remember rock and roll covers a lot, A LOT, of ground. From Chubby Checker to today's Screamo bands, by definition it's all rock. I'm pretty sure Michael Jackson and Madonna fit in there somewhere.

I agree danelectro! B)

ABBA 1998 - Abba should maybe be on the list just cause they've sold a billion records or whatever it is

Abba have no doubt been influential but record sales don't figure into the criteria for induction into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.

I still don't believe Madonna belongs in there. I understand why Wenner and company chose her but that doesn't mean I agree with it. Back in 2006 when I visited the Hall in Cleveland they had one of Britney's stage costumes on display as one of the exhibits so you can pretty much count on her being inducted once she's eligible. I'm sure some will argue that she belongs in there too (for many of the same reasons as Madonna) but I also don't agree with it.

Abba have no doubt been influential but record sales don't figure into the criteria for induction into the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame.

I still don't believe Madonna belongs in there. I understand why Wenner and company chose her but that doesn't mean I agree with it. Back in 2006 when I visited the Hall in Cleveland they had one of Britney's stage costumes on display as one of the exhibits so you can pretty much count on her being inducted once she's eligible. I'm sure some will argue that she belongs in there too (for many of the same reasons as Madonna) but I also don't agree with it.

Hi Jahfin,

I was just at the Hall of Fame and no Brittney items in sight. Maybe they received too many complaints and removed them LOL. There is no way one can justify inducting her in the RRHOF.

Hi Jahfin,

I was just at the Hall of Fame and no Brittney items in sight. Maybe they received too many complaints and removed them LOL. There is no way one can justify inducting her in the RRHOF.

If Madonna got inducted then Britney's a shue in. Same vapid pop fluff without even a hint of "rock n' roll" in sight.