DAVID COVERDALE Thinks LED ZEPPELIN Should

The Pagemeister

Well....you guys have to consider the relationship that Coverdale and Jimmy have. Those two developed quite a friendship after the CP project and it's more THAT than a musical thing now. Taken in the light of that...I think DC is just trying to motivate Jimmy to be creative again. We all recognize that Jimmy needs to do SOMETHING and concentrating on an album rather than putting someone in the HORRIBLE position of replacing Robert Plant on a tour would be a better solution.

I think David would be perfectly happy NOT singing on an album is Jimmy just did SOMETHING creative....there's not one singer that would be sufficient to all of you guys other than Robert Plant...so now that he's not in the picture I think the "all-star" idea would be great.

Jeff

I don't know how Page made it this far without the advise of David Coverdale.

IMHO, the multiple singer idea sucks, its just not as intimate. Plus, if you tour your gonna wind up using one singer anyways, so what the point to that?

Coverdale's a putz.

After seeing "the list" on page 1, I'm wondering why not have a Brit Idol-style contest with Jimmy as Judge Simon? That's one way to get the selection of "lucky contestants" done and over with. It might come to that.

"Text message P-A-G-E for your favorite singer! Judges are standing by to collect your vote. Do it NOW!" :guitar_mood:

I think this might be the best way to go (unless/until Robert wants to return for another one-off)...

Suggestions for Guest Vocalists joining JP, JPJ and Jason Bonham:

Joe Elliott ---

David Coverdale ---

Paul Rodgers ---

Roger Daltrey ---

Myles Kennedy ---

Jason Bonham ---

Paul Stanley ---

James Hetfield ---

Paul McCartney ---

Chris Daughtry ---

Aretha Franklin ---

Mick Jagger ---

Christina Aguillera (maybe)

Leona Lewis ---

Tina Turner ---

Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young ---

Timothy B. Schmidt, Don Henley & Glenn Frey ---

Steven Tyler ---

BB King ---

Bono ---

Eric Clapton ---

Sting ---

Sheryl Crow ---

R B)

Interesting choices there reids! I personally think Christina would do very well if they wanted a female singer. She could certainly hit all of the high notes!! B)

I still maintain I'd rather see them choose an unknown singer and build a new sound together. But whoever they choose, I will support because I trust them and if they believe that person is right for them, that's good enough for me. I just want to hear something soon!!!

A thought has just crossed my mind. Taken that DC was advising Jimmy to get guest vocalists and record, so the 3 Js are indeed still not sure about what they should do or at least which direction they should go?

A thought has just crossed my mind. Taken that DC was advising Jimmy to get guest vocalists and record, so the 3 Js are indeed still not sure about what they should do or at least which direction they should go?

His suggestion to Jimmy was in the summer. Plans have changed it seems, and things have gone from almost... to not sure... to I highly doubt it. An outside opinion of course, but it would seem things are not going as planned, and a plan it would seem is in jeopardy.

"My suggestion to him when I saw him in the summer was to do what Carlos Santana did with 'Supernatural'. Get a selection of people in, because there's no question John Paul Jones writes fucking kick-ass music. I said Joe Elliott and me would come in and do a track rather than the focus be on one person."

Sad day for me that Coverdale is the one who tells Jimmy what I've been saying all along -- that a Led Zeppelin and Friends approach is the best thing to do, assuming Jones and Page have a lot of interesting musical landscapes that don't lend themselve to one voice. Where he's wrong is in thinking that a Led Zeppelin record could be a vehicle for the has beens of hard rock like Coverdale; it would be an embarassing disaster.

Jimmy and JPJ have done all sorts of things since LZ broke up - they've worked with musicians as diverse as the Butthole Surfers to Neil Young to Puff Daddy to Steve Albini (Big Black/Shellac) to Leona Lewis. Why not a church choir if that's what the music needs, as someone (not me) has suggested on these boards. These hard rock guys like Coverdale are really limited in imagination. They are tar pits that Jimmy and John Paul should avoid.

For all we know, they have a record with ANita Baker done and in the can, and that would be a good thing.

Yeah, they'd have to do "We Are The World" at the end of the show. Fuck that. :lol:

ONE singer, I agree.

Chris. B)

If it had to be one, I agree completely - Cornell's the best choice.

What about Perry Ferrell? He's not doing anything.

As for that list, there are some pretty good ideas on there, but Paul Stanley? What inspired that, Reids? :hysterical:

They will. Don't worry.... I don't think they will let me "decide" this time. ;)

I only put Paul Stanley up there because he sat at the same table as Ross Halfin and JP & Halfin does his photos, too. Halfin mentions him a good bit on his website and PS was very positive about JP and Led Zep in an article of recent...

I agree with you regarding Cornell. He would be great!!! (but he already said no, so I didn't list him)...

R B)

A "Rock N Roll" Caravan tour would be cool (like the 50s and early 60s), where you had multiple singers being backed by the band (in this case, JP, JPJ and Jason). They could sing tunes that JP and JPJ wrote, produced and worked on (session-wise) as a tribute to their studio days and as a salute to their careers (as session men and as members of the best band ever, Led Zeppelin)... It would be a great tribute/way to celebrate their careers and have a little fun (with Jason along for the ride with his uncles). :)

R B)

The last thing Jimmy & co. should do is make an album of auditioning singers or a guest vocalists album. START A REAL BAND, DONT MAKE A PRODUCT. THATS WHAT COVERDALE/PAGE WAS, A PRODUCT, WITH LESS THAN SPECTACULAR RESULTS.

They should just find what their direction & sound are going to be & find a vocalist /lyricist that obviously suits that. Dont lean on the past.

And please, pretty fucking please, I pray they do not hire a vocalist who has ever sang at any point for Black Sabbath/Deep Purple/Rainbow.... that eliminates about 50 70's-80's vocalists right there.

And lastly, if I want to hear Zeppelin, I have the records. Just do something new. They dont have to reinvent the wheel but they should stay from the obvious commercial aspects of what people think Zep sound like, ie Coverdale/Page.

So your saying Black Sabbath/Deep Purple/Rainbow never had good singers ? ya right.

I think the guest vocalists may be the only way to avoid the Zeppelin comparisons? A good album, with fresh material and numerous vocal stylings may also motivate robert. Yeah i know right now he doesnt want to do it, however, maybe if he sees Jimmy is fresh again and on fire and there is fresh material and ideas, after he's done doing another unwanted elevator music album he would do some gigs. Dont forget who did he win his only other grammy with? JIMMY PAGE!!!

I think the guest vocalists may be the only way to avoid the Zeppelin comparisons? A good album, with fresh material and numerous vocal stylings may also motivate robert. Yeah i know right now he doesnt want to do it, however, maybe if he sees Jimmy is fresh again and on fire and there is fresh material and ideas, after he's done doing another unwanted elevator music album he would do some gigs. Dont forget who did he win his only other grammy with? JIMMY PAGE!!!

Yep. It might be the only way... Especially, if there's a good mixture of new material, classic LZ material represented and maybe some well known studio work (songs) that Pagey and JPJ worked/played on over the years (their life work).... A Celebration Day... :D

Maybe they can invite Alison and Robert to join them for a track or two??? ...

R B)

Sad day for me that Coverdale is the one who tells Jimmy what I've been saying all along -- that a Led Zeppelin and Friends approach is the best thing to do, assuming Jones and Page have a lot of interesting musical landscapes that don't lend themselve to one voice. Where he's wrong is in thinking that a Led Zeppelin record could be a vehicle for the has beens of hard rock like Coverdale; it would be an embarassing disaster.

Jimmy and JPJ have done all sorts of things since LZ broke up - they've worked with musicians as diverse as the Butthole Surfers to Neil Young to Puff Daddy to Steve Albini (Big Black/Shellac) to Leona Lewis. Why not a church choir if that's what the music needs, as someone (not me) has suggested on these boards. These hard rock guys like Coverdale are really limited in imagination. They are tar pits that Jimmy and John Paul should avoid.

For all we know, they have a record with ANita Baker done and in the can, and that would be a good thing.

Has beens of hard rock like Coverdale ? not a very intelligent thing to say. He has done some very good stuff over the years, Deep Purples, Burn and Come Taste the Band records come to mind, Classic stuff to allot of ears and early Whitesnake, I admit he got a bit cheesy in the late 80s but to say hes a has been is a joke, and the Record he did with Page was not all that bad . Page must of thought enough of his voice to choose him in the first place and dont we all value what Page thinks ?

Coverdale gets slammed way to much here and people forget some of the things he has done so many years ago.

I love Zep and what Plant has done over the years, but too many think the sun shines out of Plants a-hole. I for one hope Page and co do a new record, as long as they dont call it LZ who cares who sings on it, I think Page and Jones will have enough sense not to pick a has been.

*cracking the door and sticking his head in*

Uh, I was actually the first to suggest this a few months ago. Don't know where the post would be at this point but I named it "Another option for Jimmy" and suggested it be called Jimmy Page and Friends.

*backs out. closes door*

Has beens of hard rock like Coverdale ?

At this point as far as being a working musician goes, Jimmy is more of a has-been than Coverdale and will remain so until he does something besides occasionally walking onto someone else's stage for a number or two.

I think Page and Jones will have enough sense not to pick a has been.

We'd rather have "hip" artists like Puff Daddy? The problem is that, stylistically, there are very few young singers who would fit into a Zep format. Even someone like Cornell is not exactly at his youthful peak. They have to go with singers that will work musically and if that means using "has-beens" then so be it.

Archived