DAVID COVERDALE Thinks LED ZEPPELIN Should

The Pagemeister

I agree with allot of what you say, such as Zep did influnce more then Purple, Yes Purple were bigger in Europe and also in Japan, ( They had a God like status there for a long time) But Zeppelin was more so for the rest of the world, but I myself will rate a band with more on musicianship, and Purple was not any less then Zeppelin in that department, and as for Zeppelin being more diverse, thats just not true, in Purples case anyway, allot of their records are very different from each other. to me they were both top notch bands, we can agree to disagree on that one. they are both A list in my book.

As for Bonzo dubbing these bands "Deep Sabbath" I dont think he did, the first I ever heard that used was in 1983 when Ian Gillan joined Black Sabbbath. as we know Bonzo was gone by then, If I am wrong then correct me, but I dont recall Bonzo ever saying that.

I would like Page and Jones to find a great unknown to join them.

The "Deep Sabbath" quote was actually From a Plant interview in the early 80's(82 I believe) in Musician magazine where Robert attributed that comment to Bonzo. With Bonzo I imagine it was a bit of arrogance on his part because Zeppelin was bigger than either band but beyond that he lived & grew up with the guys from Sabbath in Birmingham so there is more of that element of competition that goes beyond universal popularity, more in terms of sticking it in a little brothers face sort of thing, half joking half serious.

As far as Purple & Sabbath being diverse I know that & I respect them but it is different from Zeppelins approach overall. My fave Sab album "Vol.4" goes from a song like "Supernaut" to "Laguna Sunrise" to "St. Vitus Dance", all very different from eachother & if comparing it to their first albums which were predominately heavy & similar in sound. They progressed over time. With Zeppelin all you need to know is already on the first album. The blueprint is right there which they followed for the remainder of their career stretching out even further in mixing styles & genres. It's much harder to put Zep in a category than Sabbath or Purple which always leads to the Zeppelin debate whether they were metal or not.

My point is not to slight anyone, I just get tired of hearing that same short list of people Page & co could/should work with. There's so much they can do & I think they shouldnt rest on familarlarity. If they could combine the best elements of "Coverdale/Page", "Unledded", & "Zooma" as a whole as opposed to one dimension of the those albums, then Id be a happy fan. I think that would take someone without a prior reputation as a singer.

I wouldn't call it very active unless you consider all the mysterious rehearsals which have yet to bear fruit.

it might get loud documentary. The Olympics, and a host of other projects including another Zeppelin release, and he has been working on with other artists on new matrial. not exactly watching football all day on tv is it.

it might get loud documentary. The Olympics, and a host of other projects including another Zeppelin release, and he has been working on with other artists on new matrial. not exactly watching football all day on tv is it.

All of those activities take time in addition to the above: he had meetings, rehearsals with JPJ and Jason, appearances and rehearsal w/ Foo Fighters, too (not even mentioning his time with his wife and kids)... :)

R B)

I saw DT (when they played a few years ago with Satriani and Kings' X) and he was the only one in the group that didn't seem like he belonged there with them on stage.

He was flipping his hair back all the time, shaking a tambourine, prancing back and forth on stage and getting water every other second (trying to look busy or something; maybe trying to earn his keep or something). He was doing this, too, even on their instrumental (long sections). He should have just gone backstage and played Nintendo Wii or something)...

:lol::banana::wtf::slapface:

I couldn't stop laughing.

Satriani and (especially) KX rocked, though.

LaBrie ruined DT's concert for me and my friends.

We got our money's worth with Satriani, KX and DT (as a band, but not LaBrie)...

My two cents.... so, (IMHO), no way... :)

R B)

Alright, maybe not then. I've never ween them live, and that doesn't sound great. Ah well, I hope they do SOMEthing soon and I'm sure they'll pick an appropriate singer and move on as a NEW project.

All of those activities take time in addition to the above: he had meetings, rehearsals with JPJ and Jason, appearances and rehearsal w/ Foo Fighters, too (not even mentioning his time with his wife and kids)... :)

If you are an active musician you're supposed to release albums and tour. Perhaps he's "working" but he hasn't given his fans much to show for it--yet.

Good gawd, I can't believe there has not been any mention of the ONE vocalist who has ever done justice to covering a Zeppelin song.

Ann Wilson. Anybody who has ever seen Heart live with Ann belting out Rock and Roll, Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop, Battle Of Evermore and others will know what I mean.

Good gawd, I can't believe there has not been any mention of the ONE vocalist who has ever done justice to covering a Zeppelin song.

Ann Wilson. Anybody who has ever seen Heart live with Ann belting out Rock and Roll, Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop, Battle Of Evermore and others will know what I mean.

Ann has been mentioned a few times in various threads.

It's simply impossible to find a singer whose stature can even come close to equaling that of Plant or the band, so the choice must be made on the issues of vocal ability and stylistic fit.

Dio has without question still got the pipes. If he dispensed with his tacky Devil horns hand gesture metal shit for the duration, I think he'd do an outstanding job.

Paul Rodgers is one of the greatest singers of all time (and we know Jimmy thinks so, too); we know he'd handle many of the numbers brilliantly, so it's only a question of style. Personally, I can't really see him pulling off, say, Battle of Evermore convincingly, though.

Ann Wilson is an intriguing dark horse: she definitely has the vocal power to pull it off, and a well-known love of Zep. Plus, the surprise pick of a woman (along with some fresh material) would make it clear that this is something new - not just a nostalgia trip with the best Robert stand-in they could scrounge up.

Instead of planning other people's careers Coverdale should re-group with Blackmore, Lord, Paice and Hughes and play some music.

I'd love for that to happen, even if it was just a one-off.

Ann has been mentioned a few times in various threads.

In this thread? I looked but I didn't see any mention of her. That's why it amazed me nobody mentioned her in this thread yet.

She's easily the best Zep belter out there. :)

Except that when she sings Zep songs she's singing lyrics about banging chicks. It's a little awkward. Even when she tries rearranging the genders in the lyrics it doesn't quite work.

I just don't see any white knight who can ride in and save this project if the prerequisite is for a superstar to fill that spot. It has to be some nobody, hopefully someone with some songwriting chops who can move things in a new direction rather than just hired pipes.

Except that when she sings Zep songs she's singing lyrics about banging chicks. It's a little awkward.

Not for her. wink, nudge, say-no-more

But I didn't come here to gossip about people's sex lives. I came to ask: how about Ian Gillan? How's his voice sounding these days?

Not for her. wink, nudge, say-no-more

But I didn't come here to gossip about people's sex lives. I came to ask: how about Ian Gillan? How's his voice sounding these days?

His voice is ok, but not like in the 70s.

And I don't think he would leave Deep Purple.

In this thread? I looked but I didn't see any mention of her. That's why it amazed me nobody mentioned her in this thread yet.

She's easily the best Zep belter out there. :)

There are other threads on the board talking about who they feel would make a good singer for the group and Ann was mentioned several times.

If you are an active musician you're supposed to release albums and tour. Perhaps he's "working" but he hasn't given his fans much to show for it--yet.

You seem to have your own set of rules when it comes to a working musician. I suppose you think all the Led Zeppelin releases like HTWW1 and the DVD release would have just made themselves over the years. Someone with some type of self proclaimed knowledge would compile a set similar eventually, with there own take on what the band should sound like, and how it should be seen. Lets leave that too...Who?

Yeah...I would assimilate your bitching about Page's inactivity to a child wanting another piece of candy after visiting the Wonka factory.

Since we are throwing out female possibilities, I'll say Pat Benatar. She has an awesome range to her voice. Could be interesting.

For a male possibility, I'll say Eddie Vedder. I've never really been a Pearl Jam fan, but he has a very good voice. Is Pearl Jam still together?

EDIT: Just thought of another one, in case you guys are finished gagging over my last suggestions. LOL How about Jonny Lang? He has an amazing bluesy voice.

Yeah...I would assimilate your bitching about Page's inactivity to a child wanting another piece of candy after visiting the Wonka factory.

Veruca says: :thumbsup:

(Even though I haven't kept up with this thread, that's a great one liner.)

(ps- Wonka's Nerds are addictive...)

I honestly doubt that we'll see JP & JPJ head for the cheesy option. I'd like to believe they are a different breed and I can't wait to hear what they manage to come up with in terms of new material.

A guest vocalist album sounds like a bad idea to me but oh well...what do I know.

I tell you what I know actually. I know that Jason Bonham, JPJ and JP doesn't make up three quarters of Led Zeppelin. Which is more than I can say for Coverdale:P

I only got a C grade in maths but even I can work out (without a calculator) that two out of four is half of the original band.

Jeez

Archived