December in London

Hi everyone. I'm not sure about a cloakroom at the O2, but as far as what to pack, I'm bringing some silk underwear (the kind to wear under your clothes) a few sweaters, gloves, scarfs, a few pair of pants, and ONLY 2 pairs of shoes! I live in Mississippi and it actually does get cold here. I've been to London twice, but only in the summer. I'd really make sure to bring a small umbrella and a coat, but you want to wear several layers of clothes to keep out the dampness....

OK, this may sound silly, but I'm leaving a freezing-cold Montreal (Canada) saturday. Right now, it's miserably cold (minus 10 celcius) with plenty of snow(a storm just started). I want to travel as light as possible, with preferably just one winter coat and minimal extra clothing. Here's my question: is there enough snow in London to warrant boots, and is it cold enough to bring snow-country-style parka? I'm asking because I assume we'll all be spending plenty of time outside, waiting for wristbands etc.

dude if you are used to cold weather and snow, London at 50 degrees F will feel like summer! No need to bring a big coat or anything like that, I am just gonna wear long sleeves and an overshirt. Plan for some rain though.

point is, I wouldnt worry at all about cold weather if I were you

Yes, it is Leddy. You might find it funny, but some people like me have never been to a concert in winter, in a cold and wet city like London. And I tell you...no one would ever need a cloakroom to leave a coat here in São Paulo. :P

:D do you even have coats in such a hot place ?? :P but i get you and I was just thinking it was funny me talking about it, not you :rolleyes:

Yeah, I met an English girl from Durham in the post office this morning. I told her I'm going to England on Saturday & she told me to wrap up warm. I just have a light jacket/coat. I find that buildings in London are kept really really warm (especially the hotels). So unless you plan to spend a lot of time outdoors, it doesn't really matter.

OK, this may sound silly, but I'm leaving a freezing-cold Montreal (Canada) saturday. Right now, it's miserably cold (minus 10 celcius) with plenty of snow(a storm just started). I want to travel as light as possible, with preferably just one winter coat and minimal extra clothing. Here's my question: is there enough snow in London to warrant boots, and is it cold enough to bring snow-country-style parka? I'm asking because I assume we'll all be spending plenty of time outside, waiting for wristbands etc.

Snow? In London? Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. London doesn't know the meaning of the word snow. It almost never snows in London and when it does have a light sprinking every few years it's normally about 1/8th of an inch, everybody goes mad thinking it's the end of the world..........................er and then it all disappears by lunchtime.

London used to get a fair amount of snow every few years up until the mid 1980s but ever since then I don't believe London has seen a real snowy winter for the last 2 decades.

It is absolutely freezing in the U>K> at the moment, high winds, and rain.

Well now that's a huge exaggeration. The ground isn't even frosted. It might be windy and rainy right now (autumn is finally here after a relatively balmy Sept to mid Nov, at least in the south) but freezing? No way. I think you need to visit central or eastern Europe in the dead of winter to see what 'freezing' means.

I always laugh when people here say it's freezing. We have the mildest winters of northern Europe. :D

well in this part of the UK it is freezing people have been coming into the store all day complaining, however we are in the North not in the south where London is.

I can appreciate Brspled problem with coats, I think you men do not feel the cold,women do.

It is absolutely freezing in the U>K> at the moment, high winds, and rain.

?

Weather.com says its like 47 in london right now? Thats hardly freezing -- actually thats not that bad. Even with wind chill, it cant be much less than 40 can it?

Sidenote: had a PM from a friend who arrived yesterday, "Starbucks Venti- $7, Guinness $10 pint. Bring lots of money!"

So save some room in your luggage for the cc & currency!

£5 for a pint of Guinness? They must have seen your friend coming!

London's expensive...but not that expensive. Still, with the current exchange rate, this won't be a cheap trip for anyone from the US.

Some random thoughts:

1) Wool. Textiles 101 was a useful class...Those sheep have the right idea: the lanolin wicks away moisture better than just about anything else, dries rapidly, AND still keeps you WARM when it's WET. :thumbsup:

2) Feet & Head. If they are warm, you'll survive the lines.

3) Hot Hands. Those little packets of heat. Rip'em open and put in your pockets. I've known folks to put them in their shoes/boots. :thumbsup:

4) Problem w/ a coat tied around the waist is it often drops off: solultion? Micro-bungees. Yep, they'll work.

5) Advantage to coat tied around waist? The bulkier the better if you are standing...incorporate your own 'buffer zone' around your person! Offer to bungee a friends coat around your middle for a double wide, a la the 'Wide Ends' on Saturday Night Live! :lol:

:hippy:

well in this part of the UK it is freezing people have been coming into the store all day complaining, however we are in the North not in the south where London is.

I can appreciate Brspled problem with coats, I think you men do not feel the cold,women do.

Ah, now that explains it. You are in the north......and you are a woman. I see it. Apologies. :D

London is definately not freezing though and rarely ever does freez. I guess if you are standing on top of Ben Nevis it might be a different story LOL.

I know some people who are camping overnight to queue for tickets. 40 degrees might as well be on top of Ben Nevis for the under-prepared!

Additionally, there has been so much speculation, but no answers on how many kiosks/windows will be open to dispense wristbands/tickets. It is possible that a person could queue for 4+ hours just to get tickkies. :unsure:

Did anyone go to the Stones gig at the O2? Did they go with wristbands? Trying to learn what has been done in the past for similar situations. Love to see posts by experienced peeps! :notworthy:

This poster is bringing wool and La Canadienne boots: waterproof AND keep you feet WARM. Ahhhh! Have my hot hands, too! :hippy:

But is the actual queue outside?

http://www.theo2.co.uk/web/guest/venueinfo...sinfo/floorplan

This show the plan of the O2 the ticket office is 1. right at the entrance. So they might make the queue wait outside, but it has a covered walk way so you should atleast stay dry it it's raining. THey may allow the queue inside when the O2 opens at 9am.

Check out the the website lots of useful info on getting there and whats at the O2.

Cheers

Warby

What is it like in London right now? it is snowing like crazy here in upstate NY. Is it snowing in England? If not, does it snow often there?

It's pretty warm here today 55F or 13C for us Europeans, it's a bit damp and windy though.

Outlook for the weekend is wet and 48-50F.

Monday's outlook is 48F with light rain and 43F in the evening. But as everyone here in the UK knows this could change at amy moment!

Cheers

Warby

Archived