Unexpected Encounters with Band Members Thread

Jimmy's guitars were made in my city.

You'd really have to look into that. His flame top Les Paul's date back to '58 or '59. Nothing against Kalamazoo, but I don't think it's home to the world famous Gibson Guitars. I could look it up right now but I'm thinking of logging off for the night (I can just hear the roar of the crowd thanking me for another day of programming).

You'd really have to look into that. His flame top Les Paul's date back to '58 or '59. Nothing against Kalamazoo, but I don't think it's home to the world famous Gibson Guitars. I could look it up right now but I'm thinking of logging off for the night (I can just hear the roar of the crowd thanking me for another day of programming).

Some where I read that there was a plant in Kalamazoo but it is up and running any more. Hmm, I guess I'll have to look into it some more. I could've sworn I heard it mentioned on local news once as well.

Here, I found this...

Link

Some time after I asked him about it, rather excitedly.

Me: "So what did he say?"

Rob: "Ouch." :blink:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :D uhh, that's really funny. I would have probably gone scarlet red and faintesd if I stepped on his foot... Maybe Robert would have caught me :D:rolleyes:

Some time after I asked him about it, rather excitedly.

Me: "So what did he say?"

Rob: "Ouch." :blink:

:hysterical: :hysterical: :D uhh, that's really funny. I would have probably gone scarlet red and fainted if I stepped on his foot... Maybe Robert would have caught me :rolleyes::D

For Arizona in the '80s there are only three possibilities; care to choose one?

June 19th 1985 Phoenix, AZ Veteran's Coliseum

June 11th 1988 Tempe, AZ Arizona State Univeristy Activitiy Center

Note: He stayed two nights at The Biltmore Resort 24th Street & Missouri.

November 28th 1988 Tucson, AZ Community Center

Spent quite a bit of time with Robert one afternoon in the UK on his first tour in '83. A friend told me where he was staying-so albums in hand-I wandered in to the hotel and there he was sat in the lobby with Paul Martinez-we spoke for ages, he was an absolute pleasure to talk to and be with. He remains to this day the most interesting person Ive met but also a regular guy at the same time.

Okay, I've seen a few other stories knocking around here, so thought why not start a thread (ummmmmmmm, if there isn't one already). I have had a few enounters with Robert Plant over the years and met John Paul Jones at a London Borders signing of "Thunderthief", but am most fond of this one where I bumped into Jimmy Page.

One December (think it was 2004), I was walking away from Harrods, Knightsbridge, London, towards Harvey Nichols and became aware of someone looking at me. I'm pretty tuned-in, as I have done a lot of meditation over the years and my eyes connected to a middle-aged man walking towards me, who looked rather familiar. It took several seconds to register why..... it was none other than Jimmy Page. I could never had lived with myself if I had not said something to him, so, I hesitantly blurted out, "Excuse me, are you Jimmy Page?" To my astonishment he said yes, smiled widely and extended his hand to shake mine. I was truly taken aback but such a gesture and promptly extended mine too. There was a decided energy transfer in the hand shake (I know this sounds nuts, but that is what I felt), which was quite something and altogether different from what I have felt shaking anyone elses hand, ever. I asked him how the DVD was coming along (as he was editing it at that time) and he mubbled a few positive words and I also asked (rather hopefully) if he was planning on playing any little gigs soon, to which he said no and smiled. I sensed he didn't really want to take the conversation anywhere else and started to move away; he probably was frightened I'd ask him about his Crowley regalia or something (JOKE) and he was off.

I have met quite a slew of famous people (mainly rock stars) and I'd say with no hesitation he radiated a certain special charisma and energy that no others had, you could literally feel it physically!! The only people I have met who possessed such a quality were spiritual teachers I have been fortunate to have met over the years.

Indi.

Thank you for your lovely story. I really enjoyed it! I am glad you got to meet him!

The best I have to offer is:

My best friend met Robert Plant (still have not forgiven her) and kept the autograph and pen, obviously. And I touched the pen and paper that he used........ :o :o :o

:rolleyes:

She called me as she was in the store with him and is screaming "OMGG ROBERT PLANT IS HERE!!" She acted like a nutto groupie and she also said RP was an ass to her. Wonder why. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lady Raven, did you forget Robert Plant performed his SECOND EVER post-Zeppelin U.S. solo gig in Kalamazoo?

Saturday, August 27th 1983 at Wings Stadium 3600 Van Rick Drive

And he also returned!

On Thursday, May 26th 1988, his chartered flight from Burka-Lakefront Airport in Cleveland arrived at the Kalamazoo County Airport. He and his band were checked into the Sheraton Hotel at 3600 East Cork Street.

He performed at Wings Stadium that night.

The next morning, he and his band were flown to Detroit Metropolitan Airport.

The only sighting in Kalamazoo is elvis! I was once 20 yards away from the band in Pontiac in 1977. The best place to meet Ted is in the woods during bow hunting season! Be sure to ware Red, not brown jacket. I'm is Saginaw Which is only known for a place to hitch hike away from to discover America. (You have to be 50 something to remember that simon and what's his name song.)

My brother worked for a company in NYC that rented out alot of equipment and instruments to various venues and tv shows in the area and got close to meeting Robert accidentally but ended up meeting his road manager forcibly when he didnt have his credentials on him...and he worked with a girl that met jimmy when he set her hair on fire for ignoring him at some awards show

Well, this probably doesn't count, but I did get to meet Charlie Jones, Michael Lee, and Porl Thompson in New Orleans in 1995. That was after the first P&P show in New Orleans at Pat O's. I was talking with Porl for a bit and he asked, "So where are you from?" I told him "Lafayette" (true at the time). He replied "Lafayette? I do believe we'll be playing there!" He motioned over to Michael Lee and asked,"Michael will we be playing Lafayette?" Michael said,"No, its Lexington." Porl turned to me at said "Ohh... Lexington... I knew it started with an L!" Funny stuff!

We had a few more drinks and took a few pictures which I unfortunately DON'T have copies of! Nice guys though!!!

Unfortunately... no Robert or Jimmy!

So it does seem Gibson originated in Kalamazoo but is now headquartered in Nashville.

I wonder if your current Governor Jennifer Granholm drove them out.

No, I believe it happened way before that. Now Heritage Guitars is set up in the old factory. It says in the article I posted that they moved because they could get cheaper labour in the south- buggers!! Actually I found some use in unions when I was working in retail- hell on earth. I'll never do it again- having to deal with whiney customers is not at all worth what they pay you to do it.

I had seen Robert before but never Jimmy - bumped into him as he was leaving a small gig earlier this month and it was pretty cool. He looked right at me but I was too afraid to acknowledge that I recognized him as this was shortly before the O2 so didnt want to make too much of a fuss . Kinda wished I had just said "hi"...

I bumped into Robert in Camden market once. And on The Kings Road outside a shop called "Ho Lee Fook". I was amused. :D

knebby is this the chinese food place as in "werewolves of london"? lee ho fook

i had really hoped you'd change your avatar. the sight of jimmy in a pair of shorts in not something i like to see. it makes me feel quite queasy! however as i dont even know how t load an avatar, i suppose i shouldnt make negative comments on others.

where's that pic taken?

I believe that picture your reffering to was from The Coppenhagen show in 1979

Okay, I've seen a few other stories knocking around here, so thought why not start a thread (ummmmmmmm, if there isn't one already). I have had a few enounters with Robert Plant over the years and met John Paul Jones at a London Borders signing of "Thunderthief", but am most fond of this one where I bumped into Jimmy Page.

One December (think it was 2004), I was walking away from Harrods, Knightsbridge, London, towards Harvey Nichols and became aware of someone looking at me. I'm pretty tuned-in, as I have done a lot of meditation over the years and my eyes connected to a middle-aged man walking towards me, who looked rather familiar. It took several seconds to register why..... it was none other than Jimmy Page. I could never had lived with myself if I had not said something to him, so, I hesitantly blurted out, "Excuse me, are you Jimmy Page?" To my astonishment he said yes, smiled widely and extended his hand to shake mine. I was truly taken aback but such a gesture and promptly extended mine too. There was a decided energy transfer in the hand shake (I know this sounds nuts, but that is what I felt), which was quite something and altogether different from what I have felt shaking anyone elses hand, ever. I asked him how the DVD was coming along (as he was editing it at that time) and he mubbled a few positive words and I also asked (rather hopefully) if he was planning on playing any little gigs soon, to which he said no and smiled. I sensed he didn't really want to take the conversation anywhere else and started to move away; he probably was frightened I'd ask him about his Crowley regalia or something (JOKE) and he was off.

I have met quite a slew of famous people (mainly rock stars) and I'd say with no hesitation he radiated a certain special charisma and energy that no others had, you could literally feel it physically!! The only people I have met who possessed such a quality were spiritual teachers I have been fortunate to have met over the years.

Indi.

During their 1977 tour I had followed the band up the East Coast. The day after their rained shortend Tampa show my friend and I went to Disney World. Just outside of space mountain we ran into Robert Plant anf John Paul Jones. My friend asked Robert, "Excuse me are you Robert Plant?" and Robert replied "Yes". Just then the security guards let the four of us ahead of the line assuming we were all together and we ended up in the same car on Space Mountain. Truely an amazing ride. About 25 years later I found myself working in a fancy N.Y. recording studio on a Sunday Christmas eve. Pagey was working on a Yardbird box set in one of the studios and as Christmas approached he made it clear that drinks were needed. Being Sunday in N.Y. the liquor stores were closed and I posessed a cheap bottle of B&B Brandy. Jimmy and I drank that bottle together that night as he told me stories of his home in England. he then gave me the treat of my life when he let me see his famous guitar collection which he had brought to the studio. I got to hold Les Paul #1 and #2as well as his tele and blue strat!

It's really great reading all these stories. Unfortunately, the only people who ever come to Idaho are Demi Moore and her boy toy, so we never have anything exciting happen. One of my friends met Anthony Kiedis (Chili Peppers) after their concert here, but that's the only exciting rock star story I've ever heard. Of course I went to that concert, too, and I didn't get to meet him. :P

Anyway, I hope to meet at least one of them one day. I would be so annoying, though. Either that or I would be unable to say anything and smile like an idiot. Either way, I would probably not post my story here for fear of further extending my embarrassment haha.

As for the person who said they want to move to London so they could meet them, I'm planning on studying abroad for a semester there next school year. I'll let you know if being there for four months increases one's chances of bumping into one of them. My guess is no, but I'll try. :P

I was once [1993?] interviewing Diamanda Galas [in a hotel in West London] for a magazine when JPJ strolled over and sat down (he was collaborating with her at the time on an album whose release was then imminent). He was rather guarded, but very polite. He didn't seem at all interested in talking Led Zep, preferring instead to discuss various kinds of noisy alt rock (I think Tortoise came up, also Galas, the Buttholes) and dub.

Robert I've met formally, again in an interview situation [in 1988, when Now And Zen had come out], but I bumped into him in a Russian cafe in Primrose Hill about 18 months ago. I'd just seen him play at Somerset House, a gig that I really enjoyed, so we talked about that, then we gassed for 10 minutes about football (he's a big Wolves fan, I'm West Ham) and then we talked about a mutual friend. I offered him a cup of tea but he said he had to get on. At the time I was sitting with a 38 year old woman, a work colleague from New York, who asked, "Who was that?". When I explained she asked: "Who are Led Zeppelin?" :bagoverhead:

Jimmy I've never met, but I have met his missus.

Archived