Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
indigomoonbeam

Unexpected Encounters with Band Members Thread

I was once [1993?] interviewing Diamanda Galas [in a hotel in West London] for a magazine when JPJ strolled over and sat down (he was collaborating with her at the time on an album whose release was then imminent). He was rather guarded, but very polite. He didn't seem at all interested in talking Led Zep, preferring instead to discuss various kinds of noisy alt rock (I think Tortoise came up, also Galas, the Buttholes) and dub.

Robert I've met formally, again in an interview situation [in 1988, when Now And Zen had come out], but I bumped into him in a Russian cafe in Primrose Hill about 18 months ago. I'd just seen him play at Somerset House, a gig that I really enjoyed, so we talked about that, then we gassed for 10 minutes about football (he's a big Wolves fan, I'm West Ham) and then we talked about a mutual friend. I offered him a cup of tea but he said he had to get on. At the time I was sitting with a 38 year old woman, a work colleague from New York, who asked, "Who was that?". When I explained she asked: "Who are Led Zeppelin?" :bagoverhead:

Jimmy I've never met, but I have met his missus.

Edited by The Kevster

Hi people

I was very fortunate to meet Jimmy at the ABC Trust charity Dinner/Cocktail evening in December 2005, and can agree that he is indeed very charming and there's definitely a warmth and charisma, the guy's a gentleman. Naturally I was starstruck ! And struggled for words......but I have the picture proudly on my mantelpiece. It's also on Jimmy Page online, under fan photos - 'Jimmy with Martin in London'. I play in a band myself - my singer was with me that night, she told Jimmy 'you're a legend, you know that?'.....his reply was @But all I do is play the guitar'....he's very humble too.

Having read through all the posts and threads recently placed, it's obvious that we all feel very passionately about the reunion, and joy we've felt at seeing this monumental and history-making band return to the stage. Let's give the guys some space to regroup, and recover from what must have been an emotionally very intense experience, and I'm sure we'll see their return to form continuing.

Oh, and Jason? If you do read this? Your Dad would be so, so proud ! And I'm sure you are too !

FInally, the guy who was sat interviewing them on TFI Friday all those years ago............fair play to you mate, it was awesome seeing you meet the men !

I find it not-so-strange that a good many of the posts where you guys have met them randomly have involved a member of Zep staring at you, while you think it'd always be opposite. Maybe this music is so damn good, that if you're an avid fan of it there's a connection there. Maybe we hardcore fans stand out in some way, or maybe we are of like mind with these guys, cos you know like thoughts attract like thoughts. It's just very cool that Page himself was giving you the "now where do i know you from?" look. It's like they KNOW their fans. This doesn't surprise me, seeing as how this music is so damn magical and intense, that it would be ridiculous NOT to think there's an unspoken bond.

One December (think it was 2004), I was walking away from Harrods, Knightsbridge, London, towards Harvey Nichols and became aware of someone looking at me. I'm pretty tuned-in, as I have done a lot of meditation over the years and my eyes connected to a middle-aged man walking towards me, who looked rather familiar. It took several seconds to register why..... it was none other than Jimmy Page. I could never had lived with myself if I had not said something to him, so, I hesitantly blurted out, "Excuse me, are you Jimmy Page?" To my astonishment he said yes, smiled widely and extended his hand to shake mine. I was truly taken aback but such a gesture and promptly extended mine too.

Indi.

How Cool!

Hi people

I was very fortunate to meet Jimmy at the ABC Trust charity Dinner/Cocktail evening in December 2005, and can agree that he is indeed very charming and there's definitely a warmth and charisma, the guy's a gentleman. Naturally I was starstruck ! And struggled for words......but I have the picture proudly on my mantelpiece. It's also on Jimmy Page online, under fan photos - 'Jimmy with Martin in London'. I play in a band myself - my singer was with me that night, she told Jimmy 'you're a legend, you know that?'.....his reply was @But all I do is play the guitar'....he's very humble too.

Ha Nice story!

his reply was "But all I do is play the guitar'' ... those are indeed the words of a humble man. I would be so honored to meet Mr. Jimmy Page, myself.

MEE TOOO. SIGH. (stuck with vicarious encounters - I wish there's a thread for that.)

:'( :'( :'(

Michelle:

There is still time. Maybe you and I could join forces and go groupie around the UK this Summer. I just KNOW they will play there. Also maybe we can see Jimmy at Nobi In London. He goes there alot for sushi. OR just kind of hang around near Tower House

I've been very, very lucky to meet Page, Plant & Jones on a few occasions, but my late, great mate Rob had by far the best encounter (with Robert Plant). :D

I'll apologise if I get the facts slightely skewed here, but as the bloke is no longer around for clarification purposes I hope you'll understand.

The scene - Birmingham NEC

The gig - Aerosmith (? Not sure, but I think it was them)

Rob was wandering around the cavernous interior of the NEC, probably in search of beer or merch. He spotted Robin George (eighties hair rock star & Plant collaborator) in the crowd, and (being a bit of a lapsed fan) made a beeline for Mr George to engage him in conversation.

Rob: "Excuse me, but are you Robin George?"

Robin George: "Well I used to be..."

Overcome with the excitement of meeting his one-time hero, Rob took a few paces backward & accidentally stood on a bloke's foot. Rob apologised profusely, and the chap was very gracious about it. It was only afterwards that he realised that the bloke whose foot he had stood on was actually Robert Plant.

Some time after I asked him about it, rather excitedly.

Me: "So what did he say?"

Rob: "Ouch." :blink:

a classic comedy!!! :D

By golly this thread'll just keep rolling along with no way to check on anyone or what they say,how about it gets relegated to the Newbies unproven section.

Alas, the only rock encounter I ever had was John Kay. I waited on him in the bar I worked at, and ended up cutting the poor gent off. Didn't recognize him. :rolleyes:

In New Jersey we have close unexpected encounters with rockers like Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen, but no Led Zeppelin members, like you fans across the pond. :angry:

Well no encounters here yet, and there was as good a chance as any to bump into them here in New Orleans as Jimmie's son went to school down here. I believe they may even own some real estate down here. Don't know what their status would be now after the storm, a lot has changed since then although the uptown area was spared major damage from the flooding for the most part.

I think the celebs like it down here because they can walk amongst the common folks with out being constantly hounded.

Always keeping an eye out.

Maybe we can get one of them to be King Bacchus one year for Mardi-Gras

I've been lucky to meet him several times...but those were not unexpected as such as I was trying/hoping to meet him at gigs/hotels etc but today was unexpected. I was in WH Smiths on Kensington High Street at lunchtime today and he wandered in!

I've been lucky to meet him several times...but those were not unexpected as such as I was trying/hoping to meet him at gigs/hotels etc but today was unexpected. I was in WH Smiths on Kensington High Street at lunchtime today and he wandered in!

Which "him"?

This isn't a zeppelin but my grandpa met Les Paul he said his house was filled with guitars on the walls he was asking my grandpa about some electrical stuff on guitar but my grandpa said he didn't know anything about guitars.

Oh yeah, sorry. Jimmy.

I think he was stalking you Dave. :D

I wish I could trade my David Lee Roth and Hulk Hogan encounters in for one JPJ, JP, or RP encounter!

Very cool! Did you chat or did you just shake hands?

I don't know what I would do if that ever happened with any of them. I'm shy so probably just smile and move on. :)

A colleague at work knows Robert quite well, and has the opportunity to chat to him from time to time.

I've also spotted RP around various Shropshire village fetes, etc - three times over the past few years but never quite had the nerve to say hello.

No encounters with the others, yet... but I have met John Renbourn several times. As well as an influence on JP (along with Bert Jansch), JR's 1988 duet album The Three Kingdoms (with Stefan Grossman) was produced by JPJ.

Ric

A colleague at work knows Robert quite well, and has the opportunity to chat to him from time to time.

I've also spotted RP around various Shropshire village fetes, etc - three times over the past few years but never quite had the nerve to say hello.

No encounters with the others, yet... but I have met John Renbourn several times. As well as an influence on JP (along with Bert Jansch), JR's 1988 duet album The Three Kingdoms (with Stefan Grossman) was produced by JPJ.

Ric

I wonder if RP had a go on the coconut shy and bowling for the pig? (Knowing him, which I'd like to, he probably did. :lol: )

Congrats on meeting the great John Renbourn, too!

I saw him queuing in the rain for something to eat... can't remember if it was a candy floss van or a pig roast bap thingy!

John Renbourn is a really nice guy - very generous and thoughtful. We have a mutual friend who is another guitarist, a real JR enthusiast and student. I have seen JR play several times over the last 20 years or so, and he always recognises and chats to my wife and me when we make ourselves known after the gig.

Ric