Unexpected Encounters with Band Members Thread

Okay, I've seen a few other stories knocking around here, so thought why not start a thread (ummmmmmmm, if there isn't one already). I have had a few enounters with Robert Plant over the years and met John Paul Jones at a London Borders signing of "Thunderthief", but am most fond of this one where I bumped into Jimmy Page.

One December (think it was 2004), I was walking away from Harrods, Knightsbridge, London, towards Harvey Nichols and became aware of someone looking at me. I'm pretty tuned-in, as I have done a lot of meditation over the years and my eyes connected to a middle-aged man walking towards me, who looked rather familiar. It took several seconds to register why..... it was none other than Jimmy Page. I could never had lived with myself if I had not said something to him, so, I hesitantly blurted out, "Excuse me, are you Jimmy Page?" To my astonishment he said yes, smiled widely and extended his hand to shake mine. I was truly taken aback but such a gesture and promptly extended mine too. There was a decided energy transfer in the hand shake (I know this sounds nuts, but that is what I felt), which was quite something and altogether different from what I have felt shaking anyone elses hand, ever. I asked him how the DVD was coming along (as he was editing it at that time) and he mubbled a few positive words and I also asked (rather hopefully) if he was planning on playing any little gigs soon, to which he said no and smiled. I sensed he didn't really want to take the conversation anywhere else and started to move away; he probably was frightened I'd ask him about his Crowley regalia or something (JOKE) and he was off.

I have met quite a slew of famous people (mainly rock stars) and I'd say with no hesitation he radiated a certain special charisma and energy that no others had, you could literally feel it physically!! The only people I have met who possessed such a quality were spiritual teachers I have been fortunate to have met over the years.

Indi.

I'm jealous of you and your hand.

The thread title makes me want to post something like, "...And then there was this blindingly bright light, and all of the sudden I was sucked from out of my car and up into the UFO, whereupon Jimmy Page floated up to me and said, 'Greetings, Earthling...care to join in a jam session?'"

Seriously, though, I haven't met any of them...somehow I doubt they come to San Diego very often (although Robert Plant did do the most awesome radio interview ever when he was here in 2005). I love reading you guys' stories, though! :)

Details please....or as much as you want to share! :)

So I'm at the NAMM show in Anaheim, California on Friday (that's an annual music convention) and I'm in line to meet, photograph and get a picture of Slash, who I had been dying to meet for years, when a friend of mine runs up to me and says "Jason Bonham is right over there!" I jump out of line and we caught up to Jason as he was walking towards the Zildjian exhibit area. He looked at my friends and I (because no one seemed to know who he was but he could tell that we were trailing him.) So his security people tell us he'd be doing his own meet and greet in a few minutes.

We got in line and sure enough, others slowly started to converge. I told him that he did an excellent job at the O2 arena, showed him my 4 symbols tattoo and just chatted for a bit. I was so damn excited, but now the enormity of the situation is starting to hit me. I'm so damn happy!!!

By the time I got back to Slash's line, he was done and I only got to shake his hand as he walked past me. And to top it off, one of my friends had borrowed my camera at that moment. Oh well, but at least I got to meet Jason!

I don't think I can upload pictures here.... how would I do that?

So I'm at the NAMM show in Anaheim, California on Friday (that's an annual music convention) and I'm in line to meet, photograph and get a picture of Slash, who I had been dying to meet for years, when a friend of mine runs up to me and says "Jason Bonham is right over there!" I jump out of line and we caught up to Jason as he was walking towards the Zildjian exhibit area. He looked at my friends and I (because no one seemed to know who he was but he could tell that we were trailing him.) So his security people tell us he'd be doing his own meet and greet in a few minutes.

We got in line and sure enough, others slowly started to converge. I told him that he did an excellent job at the O2 arena, showed him my 4 symbols tattoo and just chatted for a bit. I was so damn excited, but now the enormity of the situation is starting to hit me. I'm so damn happy!!!

By the time I got back to Slash's line, he was done and I only got to shake his hand as he walked past me. And to top it off, one of my friends had borrowed my camera at that moment. Oh well, but at least I got to meet Jason!

I don't think I can upload pictures here.... how would I do that?

Wow!! Great story. Though you didn't get to Slash's photograph and picture, I imagine meeting Jason more than made up for it. :D

Thanks for sharing!

Come again?

Pardon me, let me rephrase-

"and he<my brother > worked with a girl that <allegedly>met jimmy when he<Jimmy, so the story goes> set her hair on fire for<supposedly> ignoring him at some awards show'"

I hope this clears me of any lawsuits! ;)

Wow!! Great story. Though you didn't get to Slash's photograph and picture, I imagine meeting Jason more than made up for it. :D

Thanks for sharing!

Oh hells yeah! Meeting Jason more than makes up for the failure to immortalize my moment with Slash.

All I can do now is just stare at my pictures with Jason (and lament the fact that I didn't have time to choose a better outfit and throw on make-up!) LMAO!!!

Send me a PM with your e-mail so that I can send you the photos or if you'd like, there's a thread on PZ with my photos on there.

Peace, -- Zoso4Vida :D

Someone told me that Pagey was at Gibson Beverly Hills a few days ago. It wasn't a scheduled event or anything, just him stopping by to sign guitars and hang out. He played a bit and talked to some fans. Were any of our Forum brethren & sistren in attendance?

P.S. The guy who told me about this reports that Jimmy is "very nice", but of course we knew that already. He isn't even a Zep fan. It's cosmically unfair.

Someone told me that Pagey was at Gibson Beverly Hills a few days ago. It wasn't a scheduled event or anything, just him stopping by to sign guitars and hang out. He played a bit and talked to some fans. Were any of our Forum brethren & sistren in attendance?

P.S. The guy who told me about this reports that Jimmy is "very nice", but of course we knew that already. He isn't even a Zep fan. It's cosmically unfair.

Gibson Beverly Hills as in Beverly Hills CA??!! I didn't hear anything about it; but of course a lot happens in this town that I don't know about....:lol:

Cool story!! I hope some of our family would be there!!

His buddy Ross was in LA a few days ago on business; wonder if Pagey joined his good buddy. RH didn't mention Jimmy in his diary entries so it's probably coincidental. And I do realize that most likely they didn't come together & JP was here for other business. :)

His buddy Ross was in LA a few days ago on business; wonder if Pagey joined his good buddy. RH didn't mention Jimmy in his diary entries so it's probably coincidental. And I do realize that most likely they didn't come together & JP was here for other business. :)

Maybe scouting potential concert venues?

I'm just stirring the pot.....

Well, keep stirring 'cause it had nothing to do with that. I think RH was here on assignments and I don't think he & Jimmy were here together. :)

Whether they were there together or not is irrelevant....Jimmy was in the US looking at tour venues. Are there any stadium concerts happening in the US at the moment? Maybe he is auditioning venue acoustics

Whether they were there together or not is irrelevant....Jimmy was in the US looking at tour venues. Are there any stadium concerts happening in the US at the moment? Maybe he is auditioning venue acoustics

Why would you assume he was here to research tour venues...not unless you know something we don't know.....;):D

I have no clue why he was here...maybe it was for business (other than plannning a tour) or for recreation....I just speculate like everyone else. :)

A lot of you have probably seen this, but if you haven't, Jimmy came to see our band, Led Zepagain, back in 2004. You want to talk nerve-wracking, performing a whole set of Zep in front of the man himself! I wrote up a full account of it HERE.

Some cool stories have been posted here, great reading! Especially Dave, awesome!

A lot of you have probably seen this, but if you haven't, Jimmy came to see our band, Led Zepagain, back in 2004. You want to talk nerve-wracking, performing a whole set of Zep in front of the man himself! I wrote up a full account of it HERE.

Some cool stories have been posted here, great reading! Especially Dave, awesome!

That´ great Steve. It´ve must been some amazing experience, and your story,

that´ s really something. Thank´for posting the link.

And good luck with Led Zepagain. :thumbsup:

Why would you assume he was here to research tour venues...not unless you know something we don't know.....;):D

I have no clue why he was here...maybe it was for business (other than plannning a tour) or for recreation....I just speculate like everyone else. :)

It's my understanding that Jimmy was in L.A. on business with Gibson Guitars, who are bringing out another Jimmy Page model in 2008. The guy who met Jimmy said "he was signing those $3500 guitars" and chatting to folks who just happened to be there -- it wasn't an event, so it hadn't been announced that JP would be there.

It's my understanding that Jimmy was in L.A. on business with Gibson Guitars, who are bringing out another Jimmy Page model in 2008. The guy who met Jimmy said "he was signing those $3500 guitars" and chatting to folks who just happened to be there -- it wasn't an event, so it hadn't been announced that JP would be there.

Thanks for the clarification FireOpal. :) I figured it was for business purposes.

I think that was neither "kind" nor called for on a thread about meeting the members of Led Zep.

Of course it has to be assumed that these type of comments come from people that can play the first 4 notes of Stairway.

And I thought Zep fans were nice people. Hence Steve J and Steve Z you can see the reason I have stopped wasting my time on this forum. It went downhill quick.

You know where to find me.

Hence Steve J and Steve Z you can see the reason I have stopped wasting my time on this forum. It went downhill quick.

Forum Guidelines must be upheld if the board is to remain a worthwhile place to visit. As

a reminder, a link to them can be found at the top of the page.

I agree - uncalled for and unkind comments. We're all here because we love Zeppelin and in my (admittedly limited) experience on this forum, most people are genuinely kind and decent. It's a shame when some people don't enter into the spirit of things.

And yes, Steve Z - thanks for posting a great story. It must have been an amazing experience for you all - good on yer! :thumbsup:

Archived