Winter Solstice

BUCK'EYE' DOC

Hello everyone!

In a few hours it will be the Winter Solstice in the Northern Hemisphere. This marks the shortest day and the longest night of the year. The sun apperars at its lowest point in the sky and the elevation of the sun at noon appears to be the same for several days before and after the solstice date.

The word solstice comes from the Latin word solstitium, sol which means sun, and stitium which means stoppage. Following the solstice the nights become shorter and the days become longer.

Also on this day, the earth is tilted at a 23.5 degree angle to the sun and thus the northern hemisphere receives less sun (winter) and the southern hemisphere receives more sun (summer).

The ancient Celts and Druids celebrated the solstices and equinoxes. In Ireland, an ancient passage tomb at Newgrange was built in alignment with the winter solstice rising sun. At sunrise, a shaft of light enters through an opening in a roof box over the entrance to the tomb and follows the passageway to the central tomb and lights up the interior in its entirety. This dramatic illumination lasts for 17 minutes at dawn on the winter solstice and a few days before and after. There is a lottery each year to choose those who can enter the tomb on these days as there are about 30,000 applications each year. Fifty names are drawn and two places are reserved for each name.

I had the opportunity to visit Newgrange in January, 2007. They had a simulation of the light entering the roof box and following the passageway into the tomb. It was an amazing experience to witness this, even though it was a simulation. The view looking over the valley in front of the tomb was amazing also. It is hard to beleive that this tomb was built about 3200BC and is perfectly oriented and engineered for this one day of the year.

newgrangeinterior1.jpg

DSC00077.jpg

DSC00078.jpg

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

Beautiful country, would like to visit sometime. I'm probably more German than Irish but

most Americans are just mutts anyway :lol:

I guess that would mean your a Celt and are fuent in Galic,so,,,,weeeers myyy fooookin' baerrrr :D

Here is a link to a live streaming video of the 2008 solstice at Newgrange. Don't know if I will be awake to see it live. There is a 5 hour time difference between Ireland and US EST so it will happen at 3:30 to 4:30 AM. Don't know if I can stay awake that long. :D

http://www.newgrange.com/webcast_08.htm

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

It's a shame that many people forget, or aren't even aware of the fact, that ancient peoples celebrated this time of the year long before Christians hijacked it for their festive season and took it over.

Im having a pagan winter solstice festive celebration this year. No mention of Jesus, but just a lot of drinking, eating, merrymaking and celebrating the longer days just around the corner. :)

Might even take a wander up to the bronze age tumulis on the hilltops here in reflection.

It's a shame that many people forget, or aren't even aware of the fact, that ancient peoples celebrated this time of the year long before Christians hijacked it for their festive season and took it over.

Im having a pagan winter solstice festive celebration this year. No mention of Jesus, but just a lot of drinking, eating, merrymaking and celebrating the longer days just around the corner. :)

Might even take a wander up to the bronze age tumulis on the hilltops here in reflection.

:beer: indeed, the ancient pagans of northern Europe celebrated their god Mithras on December 25th.

they celebrated their winter solstice festivals by decorating their trees with food, magic runes and other items symbolic of their beliefs. And they cemented their friendships by giving each other gifts.

some time later, the Christian Church came along and persecuted such ways of life. Thus, the pagans were forced to take their trees, and other rituals indoors - traditions which of course most of us continue and enjoy to this day.

And don't forget Spinal Tap! They did their part, too.

Stonehenge, where the demons dwell

Where the banshees live and they do live well

Stonehenge

Where a man is a man and the children dance to

the pipes of pan

Stonehenge

Tis a magic place where the moon doth rise

With a dragon's face

Stonehenge

Where the virgins lie

And the prayer of devils fill the midnight sky

And you my love, won't you take my hand

We'll go back in time to that mystic land

Where the dew drops cry and the cats meow

I will take you there

I will show you how

:beer: indeed, the ancient pagans of northern Europe celebrated their god Mithras on December 25th.

they celebrated their winter solstice festivals by decorating their trees with food, magic runes and other items symbolic of their beliefs. And they cemented their friendships by giving each other gifts.

some time later, the Christian Church came along and persecuted such ways of life. Thus, the pagans were forced to take their trees, and other rituals indoors - traditions which of course most of us continue and enjoy to this day.

:thumbsup: Poo on the "christian church" :angel:

It just seems more natural to celebrate Seasons, than a made-up phoney "christian holiday."

:peace:

I have already had enough of winter weather. I don't enjoy the cold. When i get my tax return money, i am going to plan a vacation to Florida (hopefully in March) so i can get a bit of springtime early.

Maybe you should look towards the land of cotton :whistling: Oh I wish I were in Dixie! :D

It seems that it was too cloudy this morning at Newgrange and it prevented the sun from lighting the inner passageway and tomb. How disappointing for the people who won the lottery to attend the solstice viewing. I am glad that I didn't stay up to view the live video. :lol:

I am tired already of this cold weather. We are having heavy winds and temps in the teens today so the wind chill is below zero. Brrrrrr. :freezing:

Can't go to Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl because it is on January 5th, not New Year's Day. The boys start classes for winter quarter on the 5th. What happened to having the bowl games on New Year's Day? How do they expect the students to attend when they hold the game during classes? :soapbox:

Nice thread! To all the winter haters...here's the good part. Tomorrow the days begin to grow longer and it won't be long until it is the springtime of the season again.

yulebox.jpg

Blessed Be....

Hey Medhb, how are you? Wanna take that trip to FLA or maybe "dixie" with me? lol...winter is for kids!

Where in dixie do you guys suggest anyway?

Hey Medhb, how are you? Wanna take that trip to FLA or maybe "dixie" with me? lol...winter is for kids!

Where in dixie do you guys suggest anyway?

Hey Tang! How are ya?! If we hop a plane we're leaving for a tropical island...pack light - your sarong, swimsuit, and flip flops are all that's required!

Hey Tang! How are ya?! If we hop a plane we're leaving for a tropical island...pack light - your sarong, swimsuit, and flip flops are all that's required!

The Caribbean sounds good, too! That makes me re-think bringing the toddler along!!! I'm doing fine and hope you are, too!

It seems that it was too cloudy this morning at Newgrange and it prevented the sun from lighting the inner passageway and tomb. How disappointing for the people who won the lottery to attend the solstice viewing. I am glad that I didn't stay up to view the live video. :lol:

I am tired already of this cold weather. We are having heavy winds and temps in the teens today so the wind chill is below zero. Brrrrrr. :freezing:

Can't go to Arizona for the Fiesta Bowl because it is on January 5th, not New Year's Day. The boys start classes for winter quarter on the 5th. What happened to having the bowl games on New Year's Day? How do they expect the students to attend when they hold the game during classes? :soapbox:

auntitled-1.jpg