Final no from Robert Plant - no problem...

hecube

And what have I torn that is not already torn? And why is it a put down? Because I recognize it for what it is?

I realize of course that he performs as I have seen him numerous times.

What do you recognize is what it is? I really don't get what your point is.

I hardly see the point of ignoring the realities of country music in Nashville any more than I would ignore the realities of Hollywood, New York, London or any other place.

What specifically are those realities that you keep referring to? I have neighbors that work in the industry, so I am really curious what you are referring to here....

robert plant did not rip him off as a style or a song,but in concert with strange, he comented that his fellow peers forgot what made them famous (ie the rebel yell) he refered to the big band stuff rod was doining and not rock,its on utube look it up, excuse me if i dont like country the old stuff yea, not the sounthren style rock thay call country that would be like willie dixon and lz are both blues bands

robert plant did not rip him off as a style or a song,but in concert with strange, he comented that his fellow peers forgot what made them famous (ie the rebel yell) he refered to the big band stuff rod was doining and not rock,its on utube look it up, excuse me if i dont like country the old stuff yea, not the sounthren style rock thay call country that would be like willie dixon and lz are both blues bands

Good for Robert is all I can say!

He's really enjoying the Alison Krauss thing and it was a sublime album they made together, hopefully the next one will be originals.

And dont forget he has another great band - Strange Sensation. In fact when Mighty Rearranger came out I thought if Robert, Jimmy and JPJ ever recorded together again it would sound like that.

There's far too much negativity surrounding Plant at the moment, all I will say is that seeing him perform for the first time three years ago was such a great moment for me. He'll carry on making great music whoever he's with. He's voice has also evolved over the years, its easier for guitarists/bassists/drummers to make songs sound almost exactly the same as they were years ago but the human voice evolves, and Rober's voice is fanatastic with SS and Krauss.

Yes, it is a shame that the Zeppelin wont rise again but there's two great projects at the moment - the three Js and Plant and Krauss. Also - Robert with Alsion will be performing the acoustic Zeppelin songs, something I dont think the others will do - the best of both worlds perhaps?

You can't be serious right? Strange sensation put out a nice little "light" sound. Their rythym section isn't in the same league as what Jimmy, JPJ, and Jason could muster up. They have the ability to go either way, Strange doesn't do heavy all that well.

Also, the word GREAT is used all to often in our society. Led Zeppelin were great, Strange Sensation well........ B)

You can't be serious right? Strange sensation put out a nice little "light" sound. Their rythym section isn't in the same league as what Jimmy, JPJ, and Jason could muster up. They have the ability to go either way, Strange doesn't do heavy all that well.

Also, the word GREAT is used all to often in our society. Led Zeppelin were great, Strange Sensation well........ B)

Strange Sensation weren't trying to be heavy or sound like Zep.

Well if that new Mick Wall book is to be believed, then we're actually probably better off that Robert doesn't want to get back with Led Zep, because according to the book Robert laid down so many ground rules for the O2 concert that it reflected what he wanted, not what Jimmy and Jonesy wanted. And the thing about Led Zep was that it was always the 4 of them working together, not one member dictating everything, so I think I would rather see what Jimmy and Jonesy do together instead of being under Robert's thumb.

Robert may dislike Led Zep now, which is fair enough, he can do what he likes, but I'd rather see what the two remaining members who still love Led Zep will do.

Well if that new Mick Wall book is to be believed, then we're actually probably better off that Robert doesn't want to get back with Led Zep, because according to the book Robert laid down so many ground rules for the O2 concert that it reflected what he wanted, not what Jimmy and Jonesy wanted. And the thing about Led Zep was that it was always the 4 of them working together, not one member dictating everything, so I think I would rather see what Jimmy and Jonesy do together instead of being under Robert's thumb.

Robert may dislike Led Zep now, which is fair enough, he can do what he likes, but I'd rather see what the two remaining members who still love Led Zep will do.

lol there's nothing new about that; they are accustomed to his demands by now.

lol there's nothing new about that; they are accustomed to his demands by now.

Actually, and I don't know how true the book is, but it did have quotes in there from JPJ that surprised me in their level of bitchiness towards Robert. I knew JPJ was miffed about the whole No Quarter thing, but I didn't realise how resentful he is about Robert always trying to have his way

Actually, and I don't know how true the book is, but it did have quotes in there from JPJ that surprised me in their level of bitchiness towards Robert. I knew JPJ was miffed about the whole No Quarter thing, but I didn't realise how resentful he is about Robert always trying to have his way

I don't know if he was resentful. John Paul Jones may have been more resigned to it than anything and merely venting to relieve the pressure. You can imagine what it was like. Robert Plant can't help being himself and sooner or later, well just look what happens on this board lol. And to be fair, he probably doesn't always try to have his way.

Actually, and I don't know how true the book is, but it did have quotes in there from JPJ that surprised me in their level of bitchiness towards Robert.

Can you take several as examples? I haven't got the book yet and am really curious.

Strange Sensation weren't trying to be heavy or sound like Zep.

I wasn't implying that they were. Just disagreed with the poster that Zeppelin would be going in a SS direction had they continued on. SS are a good band that does what they do well, but to imply that they are great or that Jimmy and the boys would gravitate torward that sound is incorrect IMO.

Well I accept your opinion, just thought that as SS sound rather Page/Plant Unledded era that it may be similar to what Zeppelin may have come out with. Especially if that's the kind of music Robert seems to be enjoying playing nowadays.

Re the Mick Wall comments, they're believable but I'm not too sure, Wall seems to write with a certain amount of bitchiness.

If they are true I can understand why JPJ would be more than slightly annoyed about the Page/Plant thing, especially seeing in the '98 tour they were playing the Zeppelin numbers very close to the originals. And especially calling the original project "No Quarter."

Also, Im intrigued about what Robert's terms were about the O2 show according to Mick Wall.

Can you take several as examples? I haven't got the book yet and am really curious.

Okay, here's one section of the book from page 424, talking about the Live Aid concert in 1985:

John Paul Jones was also left with mixed feelings but for entirely different reasons. "I had to barge my way into Live Aid", he later told Classic Rock writer Dave Ling. Only finding out about Page and Plant's intention of playing together the week before the show, by the time he had 'barged' his way into the reckoning, Paul Martinez, from Plant's solo band, had been confirmed as bassist, forcing Jones to take the only option left open to him and play the keyboards. It was an ignominous way to make one's return to the big time and naturally Jonesy took it badly. "It was Plant again, you see". he told Ling. "Basically, I had to say to them 'if it's Led Zeppelin and you're going to be doing Zeppelin songs, hi I'm still here and I wouldn't mind being a part of it' Plant went [adopts Black Country accent] 'Oh bloody hell!' But I elbowed my way in.' He added: "It's all about Robert and what he wants".

And then Jonesy talking about Robert ditching Zep reunion plans in the past:

"I suppose it came down to Robert wanting to persue his solo career at the expense of anything else"

Okay, here's one section of the book from page 424, talking about the Live Aid concert in 1985:

John Paul Jones was also left with mixed feelings but for entirely different reasons. "I had to barge my way into Live Aid", he later told Classic Rock writer Dave Ling. Only finding out about Page and Plant's intention of playing together the week before the show, by the time he had 'barged' his way into the reckoning, Paul Martinez, from Plant's solo band, had been confirmed as bassist, forcing Jones to take the only option left open to him and play the keyboards. It was an ignominous way to make one's return to the big time and naturally Jonesy took it badly. "It was Plant again, you see". he told Ling. "Basically, I had to say to them 'if it's Led Zeppelin and you're going to be doing Zeppelin songs, hi I'm still here and I wouldn't mind being a part of it' Plant went [adopts Black Country accent] 'Oh bloody hell!' But I elbowed my way in.' He added: "It's all about Robert and what he wants".

"I suppose it came down to Robert wanting to persue his solo career at the expense of anything else"

Thank you for the excerpt. It looks like Wall quotes from a lot of publicly available published interviews. What was his perspective on preparations for the O2 show? Did he interview the band or did he use second-hand quotes? Just curious.

Thanks! Very interesting.

Thanks, it seems as though JPJ has had a rough time over the years. I thought the Page/Plant was out of order, especially as in interviews everybody was treating it like Zeppelin.

How do you feel about the other rock stars that have visited Nashville to record and perform with country musicians? This list would include Paul McCartney, Jack White, Ben Folds, Bob Dylan, and most recently, Keith Richards? Also, the new alt rock bands that have either recorded in Nashville or settled in Nashville, including Marah, Kings of Leon, and Paramore? (and my list is far from complete). Some of the kids from Paramore are my neighbors, and I think their parents would be interested if you indeed think they are "whoring themselves out".

The great Frank Black B)

Well if that new Mick Wall book is to be believed, then we're actually probably better off that Robert doesn't want to get back with Led Zep, because according to the book Robert laid down so many ground rules for the O2 concert that it reflected what he wanted, not what Jimmy and Jonesy wanted.

I know about Robert nixing Achilles but did he really want to do Stairway?

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Archived