Is Blu-ray the answer?

zephead

Don't hold your breath.

Just yesterday I was reading a article on "Is blue-ray dead already?" - I forget where or I'd post a link.

In a nutshell, the public haven't taken to blue-ray in anything like enough numbers yet to even guarentee that it's going to replace DVD as a video format. Any plans for using it as an audio format seem very hopeful at present. Market forces are what dictate the formats that survive & prosper, not the technical specs.

DVD-audio hasn't set the world on fire, & to be honest I doubt that Blue-ray-audio will either.

I'm looking for expert opinions on Blu-ray for audio. Can it replicate the sonic quality of an LP? I know Neil young was planning to offer his catalog on Blue-ray cause he hates CD format.

Jeez, I read something just the other day....memory please come to me! I think it was a tech zine and the author was saying Blu-ray was one of the years worst tech advances....for reasons...I can't remember of course :rolleyes: Sorry, can't be of more help

Jeez, I read something just the other day....memory please come to me! I think it was a tech zine and the author was saying Blu-ray was one of the years worst tech advances....for reasons...I can't remember of course :rolleyes: Sorry, can't be of more help

Really? We bought 2 HDTVs in October and one Blu-ray player for the better (and bigger) of the TVs. I LOVE the quality of the picture on the Blu-ray discs. The sound seems to be better than than the other HDTV's upconvert DVD player. (That may be because the bigger and better TV also has the stereo set up...)

If you want a real opinion on why Blu-Ray isn't dead, check out this link: And scroll down to the 10/30/08 article.

From that article:

"Blu-ray isn't going to replace DVD, the single most successful format in the history of consumer electronics, and anyone who thinks otherwise is out to lunch."

I don't have an axe to grind either way on this one, but to repeat my ealier point: whether blue-ray survives or not depends on market forces - if the public take to it or not. And that does not equate to how good it may or may not be. Betamax (remember that?) was technically a superior system to VHS but it died because not enough people bought it to keep it alive.

But still, the fact that The Dark Knight sold as much as it did is continuing to do on Blu-Ray, along with films like Iron Man doing as well as it has done, shows that it's just starting. For goodness sake, this is only its first year after HD-DVD was put down. People are too "gotta have it now!" nowadays. Heck, even blu-ray.com says that blu-ray and dvds will co-exist for quite some time.

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#bluray_replace_dvd

The audio/video quality of Blue-ray is undeniably outstanding. My worry about this format is the amount of info each disc holds, it could work out pretty expensive if you damage one of these discs that say has 10 albums on it for instance. One will have to be ultra careful with them........ and as for loaners....well that's a no no.

Archived