RAISING SAND 2

Zepp-4-Life

If someone wants to knock Raising Sand that's fine but at least take the time to actually listen to the record before commenting on it. Don't just dismiss it out of hand simply because you have the misguided notion that Robert Plant is somehow holding up your Led Zeppelin reunion or my favorite, that Alison Krauss is "Yoko". Quite frankly, those people have shit for brains. If that offends anybody, so be it. That's not my intent, it just shows your ignorance when you comment on something you haven't even heard. Perhaps even worse are those that refer to Raising Sand as a "bluegrass" or "country" album simply because they only know Alison Krauss from her career as a bluegrass instrumentalist. Those that have actually heard the album know it isn't a bluegrass or country record. If anything, it sounds closer to Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball, an album that defies catergorization. If you're going to knock something, at least come to the conversation with an informed opinion. I don't see where that's too much to ask. That's without even getting into the multitude of threads here on exactly the same fucking topic.

Great post, Jahfin, but remember that this is an international forum and we can't all be experts on American music here.

Great post, Jahfin, but remember that this is an international forum and we can't all be experts on American music here.

I honestly don't think one has to be an expert on American music to offer an informed opinion of Raising Sand. Afterall, bluegrass grew out of Irish music so in a sense it does have an international flavor. Put on a record by Ralph Stanley, Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, etc. That is bluegrass. Raising Sand is not. It's really not all that hard to figure out.

I own a couple of Rounder Records CD samplers and let me tell you, there is some good stuff on both of them. They were freebies. In the good ol' days, Tower Records used to always have free CDs/Compilations/Samplers at the checkout line. My eagle eyes were all over that checkout counter. The result - I have a boatload of freebies and have scored some pretty good music in the process.

Everything said in my report was directly quoted.

I don't know anything about Billboard's ads or affiliation.

I stand by what I was told. :D

Great, I just can't see how Billboard would not mention them if they are performing. Perhaps they are a bit behind, LOL!! All I know is I can't wait to watch the Grammys, should be a great show.:D

If someone wants to knock Raising Sand that's fine but at least take the time to actually listen to the record before commenting on it. Don't just dismiss it out of hand simply because you have the misguided notion that Robert Plant is somehow holding up your Led Zeppelin reunion or my favorite, that Alison Krauss is "Yoko". Quite frankly, those people have shit for brains. If that offends anybody, so be it. That's not my intent, it just shows your ignorance when you comment on something you haven't even heard. Perhaps even worse are those that refer to Raising Sand as a "bluegrass" or "country" album simply because they only know Alison Krauss from her career as a bluegrass instrumentalist. Those that have actually heard the album know it isn't a bluegrass or country record. If anything, it sounds closer to Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball, an album that defies catergorization. If you're going to knock something, at least come to the conversation with an informed opinion. I don't see where that's too much to ask. That's without even getting into the multitude of threads here on exactly the same fucking topic.

:yesnod::thanku:

I love compilations, they're a great way of discovering new artists. Lots of my favorite music magazines such as Mojo, Uncut, Paste, etc. all come with compilation discs. One that's on the stands right now that's well worth seeking out is Oxford American's annual Southern Music issue that comes with a sampler disc. By "Southern Music" they don't mean "Southern Rock" but Southern Music in general so you get a good cross section of styles from a wide variety of artists from both the past and present. There's more info here if you're interested.

I honestly don't think one has to be an expert on American music to offer an informed opinion of Raising Sand. Afterall, bluegrass grew out of Irish music so in a sense it does have an international flavor. Put on a record by Ralph Stanley, Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs, etc. That is bluegrass. Raising Sand is not. It's really not all that hard to figure out.

Right... :rolleyes: I didn't think it was 100% Native American music :D . Where I live, country is not a popular type of music and unfortunately bluegrass and alternative country are not well known at all. I developed some interest in them after O Brother, Where Art Thou? soundtrack was lauded in our media, but things like that happen rarely and most locals don't have the faintest idea about who Alison Krauss is. And stores around here certainly don't have Stanley, Monroe, Flatt or Shruggs albums available. Hardly even Krauss. Thanks for the tip anyway. :peace:

When dealing with certain members (especially those that feel Led Zeppelin is the best band to ever exist), I find it hard to keep that attitude in check.

Jahfin, I understand and agree with a lot of what you said, but feeling peeved because the people on a Zeppelin board are arguing that Zeppelin is great is not the most logical attitude. It's like going over to the Megadeth board, finding they're all big fans of Megadeth, and getting mad because they're not ABBA fans. You have to consider the purpose of the forum.

And like I said, I agree with a lot of your other points. I'm just making sure I get that in, in case you flame me. :D

Right... :rolleyes: I didn't think it was 100% native American music :D . Where I live, country is not a popular type of music and unfortunately bluegrass and alternative country are not well known at all. I developed some interest in them after O' Brother Where Art Thou? soundtrack was lauded in our media, but things like that happen rarely and most locals don't have the faintest idea about who Alison Krauss is. And stores around here certainly don't have Stanley, Monroe, Flatt or Shruggs albums available. Hardly even Krauss. Thanks for the tip anyway. :peace:

That's all well and good but I still don't think it excuses anyone from falling back on describing the album as "bluegrass" or "country" when that isn't what Raising Sand is all. That just strikes me as laziness on their part. In the most recent case here the person that used those terms actually knew better so it was a case of laziness.

On the other hand it is very good to know that the soundtrack to O Brother, Where Art Thou? had such a great impact worldwide as it had absolutely no effect on Nashville here. In fact, around that same time Loretta Lynn was nominated for a Grammy for her album Van Lear Rose yet it had never received a bit of support from country radio or the Nashville establishment. Ironically the same thing happened with Johnny Cash's first album on Def American Recordings. It won a Grammy despite being ignored by Nashville. Right now, next to Rick Rubin, T Bone Burnett has to be one of the most in demand producers out there. I'd like to think that has a lot to do with his past track record but it probably has more to do with the overwhelming success of O Brother, Where Art Thou? than anything. Add the success of Raising Sand to that and you'll see why so many artists want to work with him.

Jahfin, I understand and agree with a lot of what you said, but feeling peeved because the people on a Zeppelin board are arguing that Zeppelin is great is not the most logical attitude. It's like going over to the Megadeth board, finding they're all big fans of Megadeth, and getting mad because they're not ABBA fans. You have to consider the purpose of the forum.

It's not saying that Zeppelin is great that bothers me. It's those that believe Zeppelin are the best band ever and that they can be no better band ever that gets on my nerves. Sure, it's ok to have that opinion but it's not one I can get on board with especially when it's said with the intent of pissing others off. That sort of arrogance just to provoke a response is uncalled for. When posters take that approach I see nothing whatsoever the matter with calling them on it. We all have favorites. As I've said, mine is the Beatles but that doesn't mean I believe they're the best group to ever walk the earth and that no other artist could possibly ever surpass them.

And like I said, I agree with a lot of your other points. I'm just making sure I get that in, in case you flame me. :D

Believe me, there's no danger in that happening.

Just got home from a nice dinner with the owner of Rounder records.

For those that don't know , that's the Plant / Krauss label.

So, the scoop is they are beginning recording sessions on January 12/13.

The first sessions feature most of the same musicians from Raising Sand.

T-Bone once again is the driving force and has apparently chosen most of the tracks.

The songs being considered were sent to Rob and Allison only weeks ago.

Rob and Allison will choose a song or two each for the production.

Nashville is the meeting ground for the first studio sessions.

Not sure which studio , but it was cool to hear how it all goes down.

Rounder records basically pays for all costs on whatever they produce.

My " friend " just sent the cheque last week for all expenses.

Following the new CD , a small tour is planned.

A 15 to 20 city tour is all they are expected to do.

Summer dates are being negotiated.

In addition , it is confirmed that Rob and Allison will perform at this year's Grammy's.

That's all I can say for now.

It's valid and real.

CheerZ

Hi Zepp-4-life:

This is the first time I've read this thread...it's all good news ...I hope things go well...hopefully Robert, Allison, T-Bone and company will be in London Canada this time...here's hoping..

Cheers to you fellow Zep fan :cheer:

I love compilations, they're a great way of discovering new artists. Lots of my favorite music magazines such as Mojo, Uncut, Paste, etc. all come with compilation discs. One that's on the stands right now that's well worth seeking out is Oxford American's annual Southern Music issue that comes with a sampler disc. By "Southern Music" they don't mean "Southern Rock" but Southern Music in general so you get a good cross section of styles from a wide variety of artists from both the past and present. There's more info here if you're interested.

Thanks. I've also picked up some good samplers (Dylan covers, Ska - The Specials, Punk) from Mojo and Uncut. I'll check out Paste.

I can deal with yodeling but only in small doses.

On the subject of comps, I just picked up the January issue of Uncut (Page cover) that comes with one.

Yodeling is a bit hard core/dated/ultratraditional even by Bluegrass standards. I am one those hillbillies that are subject to constant derision from the contingent of LZ fans upset by the Raising Sand project. I grew up attending Bluegrass concerts and still attend about five or so concerts a year to see my relatives perform. I also attend IBMA every year to watch my relatives win awards. I have not seen live yodeling since I was twelve years old (1974), and that was in Renfro Valley at a traditional Saturday night "barn" show.

I do not think there will be any yodeling on the Raising Sand 2 project.

Yodeling is a bit hard core/dated/ultratraditional even by Bluegrass standards. I am one those hillbillies that are subject to constant derision from the contingent of LZ fans upset by the Raising Sand project. I grew up attending Bluegrass concerts and still attend about five or so concerts a year to see my relatives perform. I also attend IBMA every year to watch my relatives win awards. I have not seen live yodeling since I was twelve years old (1974), and that was in Renfro Valley at a traditional Saturday night "barn" show.

I do not think there will be any yodeling on the Raising Sand 2 project.

Unless Robert and Alison are taking an entirely new direction on this next venture.

Maybe no yodeling, but they'll have plenty of local yokels on their album with them. :D

Buddy's a local Yokel. I wonder if he'll bring along his wife Julie ?

Buddy and Julie do not yodel. Julie would be a wonderful addition to any musical project.

It's been years since I've attended MerleFest but I enjoyed it a great deal every time I went. People tend to think of it as a "bluegrass" festival but I believe it's billed as the "world's premiere acoustic festival" since the music isn't all bluegrass. You also get blues, gospel, zydeco, folk, country, rock, etc. Even Hootie and the Blowfish were there one year but that's because they attended as fans of MerleFest more than anything else. It's also no coincidence that Darius Rucker now has a country album out.

On the subject of Merlefest and similar festivals, it's a wonder that John Paul Jones hasn't fallen under nearly the same amount of scrutiny here as Plant and Krauss, especially given his appearances at Merlefest and Bonnaroo where he's appeared with Gillian Welch, the Duhks and Uncle Earl (who's record he also produced). That music is much more "bluegrass" than anything you'll hear on Raising Sand.

On the subject of yodeling, one group I discovered through the Oxford American compilations is the DeZurik Sisters. You can check out their song The Arizona Yodeler which appeared on the 2005 Southern Music Sampler http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNYDyXn6qso.

E-mailed to me from the good people at Rounder.

PlantKraussPlatinum.jpg

That's AWESOME! Many tons of thanks!

T-Bone back there, I see Bill Curbishley. Um, Harvey G. right there, too.

Great record, great tour, great organization, great band. C'mon folks, do it AGAIN!!!

"On the subject of Merlefest and similar festivals, it's a wonder that John Paul Jones hasn't fallen under nearly the same amount of scrutiny here as Plant and Krauss, especially given his appearances at Merlefest and Bonnaroo where he's appeared with Gillian Welch, the Duhks and Uncle Earl (who's record he also produced). That music is much more "bluegrass" than anything you'll hear on Raising Sand.

On the subject of yodeling, one group I discovered through the Oxford American compilations is the DeZurik Sisters. You can check out their song The Arizona Yodeler which appeared on the 2005 Southern Music Sampler here."

WELL SAID!!! A tip of that from me 2 you for the fine comments, well placed and well said. Merlefest is an amazing event, I recommend it to ANYONE (especially those with a more narrow view of the musical world than is healthy for them. It should cure that ailment if y'all would go).

And I thought I would be the only person here that knew who the DeZurk Sisters were! Ha!

Cheers.

I didn't say they were yodeler's, but yokel's !! :D

Local Yokel's.

I'm quite aware of Julie's work and even moreso with Buddy's.

I understand you very well. Just clarifying and trying to save certain members of the forum wasted time on YouTube trying to find video of Buddy Miller yodeling.

Archived