RAISING SAND 2

Zepp-4-Life

I love compilations, they're a great way of discovering new artists. Lots of my favorite music magazines such as Mojo, Uncut, Paste, etc. all come with compilation discs. One that's on the stands right now that's well worth seeking out is Oxford American's annual Southern Music issue that comes with a sampler disc. By "Southern Music" they don't mean "Southern Rock" but Southern Music in general so you get a good cross section of styles from a wide variety of artists from both the past and present. There's more info here if you're interested.

I love them too - a great way to hear a bit of an artist before buying a cd. Mojo does have some excellent compilations as does Songlines for world music.

Buddy and Julie do not yodel. Julie would be a wonderful addition to any musical project.

Indeed she would be :yesnod:

Very cool to see some fans of Buddy and Julie Miller here, especially Julie. I know her voice can be a bit of an acquired taste but her Broken Things record has long been on my ever growing Most Wanted list.

Same here. I like her voice a lot and Buddy of course is an amazing musician. Can't wait until his new records comes out as well.

^It is fun stuff, in small amounts IMO, as was said earlier.

As for Raising Sand 2, it would be cool to hear a bit more AK being herself, musically speaking, than on the first disc. Their voices do mesh so well together the way T-Bone produced it.

As for Raising Sand 2, it would be cool to hear a bit more AK being herself, musically speaking, than on the first disc. Their voices do mesh so well together the way T-Bone produced it.

It'd be kind of neat to hear someone playing the spoons while Robert and Alison yodeled. It'd give a little click clack to smooth out the speed bumps of the yodelyodelyodelyodelyodelyodelyodelyoelyodelyodeling going on.

Here's one for your little ole lady too !!! Presenting PLANTenga, the yodeling Zepster !

65ri39.jpg

T Bone wanted to take both Robert and Alison out of their normal element musically. I think that's one of the aspects of the record that make it so unique.

So artists should only create exactly what their fans want?

No, but when they find a way to entertain the audience, it should be refined to exclude the cringe factor if possible. Audiences don't like to cringe, they prefer to be enthralled, fascinated, enraptured, intrigued and so on.

No, but when they find a way to entertain the audience, it should be refined to exclude the cringe factor if possible. Audiences don't like to cringe, they prefer to be enthralled, fascinated, enraptured, intrigued and so on.

Er - that's what artists do. They create music they think people will groove on. You can't please everyone and it's ridiculous to make the statement they must avoid making people cringe. If someone doesn't like what they do, don't listen to it.

You should listen to everything, good, bad and mediocre to expand your musical horizons and develop a sense of appreciation and perspective. Otherwise you get too limited.

Yes but what does that have to do with your original statement about artists should not make music that causes people to cringe.

I think there are differences between art and pure entertainment, and one of the differences is that art doesn't always have to be pleasant. It can even be ugly and disturbing, if that's what it takes to convey the artist's ideas.

I don't think many people go see rp and alison krauss to cringe. they might go see alice cooper or ozzfest to cringe. I know I always do and that's why i go.

Taking them out of their element but putting them into another new similar element together is what was done and done well. For alison it wasn't far from what she was doing and for robert it's the same stuff just slowed down to where I almost fall asleep. I'm a rocker so it's not exactly my cup of tea but I do appreciate the fact that there are many talented people working together on the project and it's got two of the greatest voices out there. I saw them live and her voice is phenomenal. Chilling almost in one song. Next time I'll bring my 76 year old mom. She'll love it!

I don't think many people go see rp and alison krauss to cringe. they might go see alice cooper or ozzfest to cringe. I know I always do and that's why i go.

Maybe, but one of my favorite RS songs is Nothin', and it is quite harrowing.

I think there are differences between art and pure entertainment, and one of the differences is that art doesn't always have to be pleasant. It can even be ugly and disturbing, if that's what it takes to convey the artist's ideas.

If the ideas have a compelling artistic value. Ugly and disturbing for the sake of ugly and disturbing you can get in most alleyways without paying the price of a ticket or CD.

Yes but what does that have to do with your original statement about artists should not make music that causes people to cringe.

Audiences don't like to cringe, they prefer to be enthralled, fascinated, enraptured, intrigued and so on. Exceptions would be songs like the End by the Doors. As cringeworthy as the song is, it has other elements.

If the ideas have a compelling artistic value. Ugly and disturbing for the sake of ugly and disturbing you can get in most alleyways without paying the price of a ticket or CD.

The trouble with this view is that people (especially those who are in power positions) often condemn art worthless if it doesn't serve their ideologies. The real value of art is sometimes only acknowledged in retrospect.

Archived