ledzep45

Vinyl or CD  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Vinyl or CD

• Vinyl
    • CD

• 4 weeks later...

Vinyl. No contest.

Like Jahfin, I haven't downloaded anything yet and I will not do it as long as I am not forced to do it. Ooops, I lied. I did download Fleet Foxes debut album, BUT, that is because when I bought their VINYL I also got the whole album as downloads too.

Not everyone issues new records on vinyl but quite a few do such as Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Plant/Krauss, Van Morrison, Dylan, the Drive-By Truckers, Ryan Adams and several others. You can also find reissues on vinyl from the likes of the Beatles, Zeppelin and the Beach Boys. I'm just glad to see there's still a market for it. It goes to show they never should have removed vinyl from record store shelves to start with.

I'm with Swede and Jahfin on the downloading thing. I DID pay .99 cents for a quirky novelty type song that I wanted. That's IT. Starbucks has promotions where they give away free ITUNES downloads. I've got about 50-60 of those. Couple of weeks ago I listened to ALL of them and I'll tell you what!! There is some pretty good stuff in those freebies. Including this one that I really like, before it became a BIG HIT.

Sara Bareilles - Love Song

ITUNES also give away weekly FREE tunes, but most of them are throwaways.

I don't get peoples' hang-ups with downloading. I download all the time, mostly from iTunes. I can preview tracks to determine if it's something I want to buy, and iTunes has this section called "Essentials", where they group songs by year or genre, sometimes even by theme. They have one theme called "Nighttime Driving" or "Late Night Driving" and it's lots of chill ambient/electronica music. I would never have even heard of a lot of this music if not for it.

I don't see anything wrong with evolving to new media formats. Vinyl became cassettes became CDs became mp3s and then who knows what's next. It doesn't mean any of those previous formats are no longer worthy, just that we've moved on sonically.

Vinyl. No contest.

Like Jahfin, I haven't downloaded anything yet and I will not do it as long as I am not forced to do it. Ooops, I lied. I did download Fleet Foxes debut album, BUT, that is because when I bought their VINYL I also got the whole album as downloads too.

I LOVE Fleet Foxes! I've been playing them like crazy lately. Great new band.

Not everyone issues new records on vinyl but quite a few do such as Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Plant/Krauss, Van Morrison, Dylan, the Drive-By Truckers, Ryan Adams and several others. You can also find reissues on vinyl from the likes of the Beatles, Zeppelin and the Beach Boys. I'm just glad to see there's still a market for it. It goes to show they never should have removed vinyl from record store shelves to start with.

I love the fact they still put their music out on vinyl. I wish they never took it off the shelves too.

I don't get peoples' hang-ups with downloading. I download all the time, mostly from iTunes. I can preview tracks to determine if it's something I want to buy, and iTunes has this section called "Essentials", where they group songs by year or genre, sometimes even by theme. They have one theme called "Nighttime Driving" or "Late Night Driving" and it's lots of chill ambient/electronica music. I would never have even heard of a lot of this music if not for it.

I don't see anything wrong with evolving to new media formats. Vinyl became cassettes became CDs became mp3s and then who knows what's next. It doesn't mean any of those previous formats are no longer worthy, just that we've moved on sonically.

I don't have a problem with downloading (legally). I choose not to do it because I like the whole collector aspect of music as well as the listening aspect. I enjoy reading the liner notes and having the actual product. That's just me.

I collect certain artists' music so for them, I will buy a physical copy. But sometimes I don't want a whole album, I only want one song. Or two songs. To me, it's a waste of money to spend $20 on a CD when it costs substantially less to make it or buy it on iTunes.

I've got close to 500 CDs myself, so it's not like I've eschewed the product. However I find the convenience of downloading to be a great selling point. And when you buy albums on iTunes, you get the liner notes and all that jazz. It's just on your computer, rather than in your hand.

I collect certain artists' music so for them, I will buy a physical copy. But sometimes I don't want a whole album, I only want one song. Or two songs. To me, it's a waste of money to spend $20 on a CD when it costs substantially less to make it or buy it on iTunes.

I've got close to 500 CDs myself, so it's not like I've eschewed the product. However I find the convenience of downloading to be a great selling point. And when you buy albums on iTunes, you get the liner notes and all that jazz. It's just on your computer, rather than in your hand.

I've downloaded single songs on Itunes here and there if it's just the song I want. I guess I'm old fashioned and that even having the artwork and such on the computer, I still need the actual copy. But everyone's different and as I said, I've no issue with the idea of downloading, as long as it's legal.

I don't really have a problem with downloading either. I also don't mind people using leaks to decide if they want to buy an album or not. Just so long as they do buy it if they like it. As mentioned in another recent thread about downloading, a study done within the last couple of years showed that those that download the most music also purchase the most music. That makes complete sense to me as those are your hardcore music fans.

The aspects of downloading that I'm not so fond of are mp3's and how they've become the norm. Once CDs stop being manufactured and downloading becomes the primary source of obtaining new music I certainly hope mp3s aren't going to be the only option. Even though I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between a mp3 and an uncompressed file, the fact remains, they are still compressed and therefore inferior in sound quality to uncompressed files. Everyone from Lou Reed to T Bone Burnett have pleaded with the industry to not allow mpg3's to become the norm. The sad part is, casual music fans who don't know the difference (or simply don't care) are the ones driving sales. As long as money is being made the industry at large could give a shit about something as minor to them as hardcore music fans that insist upon the best sound quality available. They just want to see money in the bank.

If I want to use iTunes on my computer I can either start buying stuff via the Apple store or start using iTunes to save my entire collection to my computer. I know I will have to do that at some time since downloading is fast becoming the only option for obtaining music but I honestly don't have the patience for it. Especially considering my collection now stands at something like well over 1,000 CDs.

In regards to the artwork, sure it's nice to have PDFs saved to your computer that you also have the option of printing out but nothing will ever replace the joy of unwrapping a vinyl record for the very first time and sitting down to listen to it while reading the liner notes and taking in the album artwork.

Some have also made a lot of how downloads brings music back to a time of listening to music one song at a time. I've never been all that bothered by that either since singles have pretty much always been big. That said, I think there's also a lot to be said for listening to an entire album. There's a certain beauty to how some albums are sequenced and enjoying listening to them in that way. There's also the fun of resequencing an album for your own enjoyment. Singles are great but they will never replace the joy of taking an album in as whole, as they were originally intended to be heard by the artists themselves. I also used to enjoy making mixtapes which are another true artform but there's also a lot to be said to the album itself as an artform.

• 1 year later...

I prefer CDs and itunes downloads by a mile to Vinyl, not because of the sound quality or packaging but because of the finances! Trust me, if any of you vinyl collectors were living in New Zealand, you'll find that buying vinyls pretty much amounts to burning massive holes in your pockets as the prices are as high as NZ $ 40! Who the fuck can afford that? :slapface: I would rather settle for an itunes download or a CD which is within NZ $ 20! B)

Vinyl no contest. haven't bought a cd in years. Reasons?

vinyl gives you a much better listening experience. no jumping from song to song, you "have" to listen to the whole lp. the sound is warmer and the artwork is usually a lot better than those flimsy little cd sleeve thingies.

For on the road, portable music players are obviously a lot more practical, so i have got all my vinyl in best possible sound quality as well.

But there is nothing better than getting a new LP and sticking it on the turntable. Plant's BOJ is a prime example. the artwork on the cover is stunning and a lot more visual than on the CD, and as the music only covers 3 sides they stuck a lovely etched graphic on side 4....beautiful....but don't try scratching the back of your cd :D

In regards to the artwork, sure it's nice to have PDFs saved to your computer that you also have the option of printing out but nothing will ever replace the joy of unwrapping a vinyl record for the very first time and sitting down to listen to it while reading the liner notes and taking in the album artwork.

Yes exactly. That's why for me personally the vinyl LP will never die. A good remastered CD is great but nothing beats a pristine LP. They're being made better than ever today too.

cD of course!!!!!!! Now honestly.....how can anyone go bACk to the cave when they've seen THE LIGHT!!!???!!!???....AND i GREW up in the age of LPS and EPS:)

I don't consider vinyl to be "the cave" and obviously I'm not the only one or we wouldn't be seeing the resurgence of vinyl that we have in recent years. It's not all about sound quality though, a great deal of it is about aesthetics and all that has been lost. The smaller the medium, the less space there is for artwork. That's why mp3s will never take hold as a permanent replacement for the real thing. There's too many of us out there that demand it so vinyl will never go away for good.

Archived