THE THREE DOG NIGHT THREAD

ZeppFanForever

How's it going "L 7?" I see that you are very familiar with San Antonio. I grew up as a kid till I was 13 on Olmos Dr. off Fredericksburg Rd. I now live off I-10 West and ZeZavala. I saw a few concerts at the now torn down Hemisfair Arena as a kid. I never thought that the city would tear down the Hemisfair Arena. Its a real tragedy what happened to Selena. Have you ever heard of Erika Gonzaba from San Antonio? She's a very beautiful woman as well as a very talented singer and dancer. She is a very good friend of mine and of my family's. Believe it or not, I dated her a few times after I moved back to San Antonio but I am old enough to be her father. ROCK ON!

Cant say that I have heard of her, but I am very familair with your neighborhood. That area has really exploded. I used to pass that way on my journeys to Kerrville and Lake Medina.

You live near Fiesta Texas. Love The Scream.

You can see The Scream on 1604 for miles. I really like Tom`s Ribs on 1604 by that idiot Hagee`s church.

There was once I comedy club just off De Zavala Road. Dont know if its still there and I had good friends from California that lived in the Springfield sub division off of De Zavala Road.

Rock on `til your sox drop

Cant say that I have heard of her, but I am very familair with your neighborhood. That area has really exploded. I used to pass that way on my journeys to Kerrville and Lake Medina.

You can see The Scream on 1604 for miles. I really like Tom`s Ribs on 1604 by that idiot Hagee`s church.

There was once I comedy club just off De Zavala Road. Dont know if its still there and I had good friends from California that lived in the Springfield sub division off of De Zavala Road.

Without derailing too much - here's a site dedicated to Selena. I wasn't a huge fan of her music (bit too pop for me) but it was really awful what happened.

http://www.selenaforever.com/

Without derailing too much - here's a site dedicated to Selena. I wasn't a huge fan of her music (bit too pop for me) but it was really awful what happened.

Why thankie `thar nine lives. Hope you had an extra life added for that useful link. B)

I remember Selena`s boutique on Broadway in San Antonio and how they made fun of Yolanda on 99.5 KISS FM in San Antonio. The cops should have let her pull the trigger.

I have seen the statue in Corpus Christi and remember to this day how she was shot in the back in the Days Inn in Corpus. Bled to beat, poor thing.

On a side note, just inside Broadway off Loop 410 is where Woody Harrelson`s father killed Judge John Wood.

Mama Told Me (#1)

Joy To The World (#1)

Black And White (#1)

Shambala (#3)

Easy To Be Hard (#4)

An Old Fashioned Love Song (#4)

The Show Must Go On (#4)

One (#5)

Never Been To Spain (#5)

Liar (#7)

Eli's Coming (#10)

The Family Of Man (#12)

Celebrate (#15)

Out In The Country (#15)

Sure As I'm Sittin' Here (#16)

Let Me Serenade You (#17)

One Man Band (#19)

Pieces Of April (#19)

Try A little Tenderness (#29)

Til The World Ends (#32)

Play Something Sweet (Brickyard Blues) (#33)

They are a great band with great songs! My faves are "Mama Told Me", "One", "Shambala", "An Old Fashioned Love Song", "Joy to the World" and "Black and White".

One of the first 45's I ever had was given to me in the 5th grade(72) as a Christmas present was a used copy of Celebrate on the B side was their version of Dave Mason's Feelin' Alright.I still have the 45.I always liked this band and whenever I hear one of their tunes,I crank it up and sing(warble) along. :D I've always liked this band!!!!

I think that as popular and great as the hits were, there was so much more to this band.

Covers of Free's "Woman" and "Creepin'" that were better than the originals

A cover of Spooky Tooth's "I've Got Enough Heartache". Awesome vocals by Cory on that one.

Covers of Traffic's "Feelin' Alright" and "Heaven Is In Your Mind" that again beat the originals, especially live back in 1969.

A Michael Allsup original "Into My Life"- a masterpiece.

And even a tasty cover of Elton John's "Your Song".

The list could go on and on forever really...

Too funny. I can just hear it now " Martha... call the cops. Those hippies are at it again " :lol:

How's it going "ally?" I can hear those neighbors also saying: "CALL THE COPS, THOSE HIPPIES ARE SMOKING THOSE FUNNY CIGARETTES AGAIN, THE SAME ONES THAT WE HAVE! ROCK ON!

The anthology booklet tells you who sang the lead (and background) vocals on each song. As time progressed, Chuck sang the lion's share of the leads, especially on the hits. Next was Cory and finally Danny. If I remember correctly, Danny was instrumental in putting the group together, but seemed to give a lot of the lead vocals over to Cory and Chuck. Cory provides the incredible lead on "Mama Told Me Not to Come".

For what it's worth, Wikipedia has a pretty weak write-up on the band.

How's it going "L 7?" I love travelling up to "Funky Cold Medina. I do not live far from Fiesta Texas. You just had to mention that idiot Hagee, I can't stand that son-of-a-bitch but I do love those ribs at Tom's Ribs. I lived in Sacramento and Los Angeles, California for a combination of 29 years. ROCK ON!

How's it going "ninelives?" Like yourself, I must confess, I was not heavily into SELENA until after she died which was a terrible tragedy. Her death shocked the world. I became a SELENA fan after I saw the movie about her life which starred a very young Jennifer Lopez. ROCK ON!

Why thankie `thar nine lives. Hope you had an extra life added for that useful link. B)

I remember Selena`s boutique on Broadway in San Antonio and how they made fun of Yolanda on 99.5 KISS FM in San Antonio. The cops should have let her pull the trigger.

I have seen the statue in Corpus Christi and remember to this day how she was shot in the back in the Days Inn in Corpus. Bled to beat, poor thing.

On a side note, just inside Broadway off Loop 410 is where Woody Harrelson`s father killed Judge John Wood.

Hi again "L 7?" I have been to the site on Broadway off Loop 410 where Judge John Wood was shot by Woody Harrelson's father. That's a total trip. ROCK ON!

They are a great band with great songs! My faves are "Mama Told Me", "One", "Shambala", "An Old Fashioned Love Song", "Joy to the World" and "Black and White".

Why hello "Melanie_72?" I am happy that you like THREE DOG NIGHT. I never truly realized how much that many ZEPPELIN fanatics such as yourself really liked this band. THREE DOG NIGHT truly captured a moment in Rock n' Roll history with their music and left their mark in history because of it. ROCK ON!

One of the first 45's I ever had was given to me in the 5th grade(72) as a Christmas present was a used copy of Celebrate on the B side was their version of Dave Mason's Feelin' Alright.I still have the 45.I always liked this band and whenever I hear one of their tunes,I crank it up and sing(warble) along. :D I've always liked this band!!!!

How's it going "Rorer714?" I see what you mean. You can tell THREE DOG NIGHT'S music when you hear them right off the bat. Their music sounds very special. I just sent a personal e-mail to Danny Hutton telling him about the overwhelming response of THREE DOG NIGHT here on the LED ZEPPELIN Forum. Who knows, he just might read this thread and respond soon. I'll let all of you know when I hear from Danny. ROCK ON!

How's it going "L 7?" I love travelling up to "Funky Cold Medina. I do not live far from Fiesta Texas. You just had to mention that idiot Hagee, I can't stand that son-of-a-bitch but I do love those ribs at Tom's Ribs. I lived in Sacramento and Los Angeles, California for a combination of 29 years. ROCK ON!

Yea and I cat stand Hagee either. He can suckle a baby rhino from his man-boobs for all I care.

Seems he forgot Jesus wore sandals.

I think that as popular and great as the hits were, there was so much more to this band.

Covers of Free's "Woman" and "Creepin'" that were better than the originals

A cover of Spooky Tooth's "I've Got Enough Heartache". Awesome vocals by Cory on that one.

Covers of Traffic's "Feelin' Alright" and "Heaven Is In Your Mind" that again beat the originals, especially live back in 1969.

A Michael Allsup original "Into My Life"- a masterpiece.

And even a tasty cover of Elton John's "Your Song".

The list could go on and on forever really...

What's up "Rock Action?" You've mentioned some songs here that only the hard core THREE DOG NIGHT fans are familiar with other than the more popular THREE DOG NIGHT hit songs that would become the band's trademark songs. You really have to listen to all of the songs on their albums that were not as popular but pretty much sounded better than the more popular and familiar songs that THREE DOG NIGHT was known for. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Rorer714?" I see what you mean. You can tell THREE DOG NIGHT'S music when you hear them right off the bat. Their music sounds very special. I just sent a personal e-mail to Danny Hutton telling him about the overwhelming response of THREE DOG NIGHT here on the LED ZEPPELIN Forum. Who knows, he just might read this thread and respond soon. I'll let all of you know when I hear from Danny. ROCK ON!

Yeah? That's pretty cool ZeppFanForever!

I mean,how can you not start singing when you hear," Jeremiah was a bullfrog,(dun nan dahh) was a good friend of mine,(dun nan dahh)" when it's blasting out of the speakers! :lol:

I don't own any Three Dog Night on tape, vinyl or CD but like many of the bands I was first turned onto as a kid, I heard them on 8-track. In this case, a friend's Craig Powerplay 8-track player.

0e87_1.JPG

Speaking of Out In the Country, a few short years ago R.E.M. recorded a cover of that tune with bassist Mike Mills handling the lead vocal duties. For those interested, it can be found as a B-side to one of the singles released for Bad Day:

wb-9362426702.jpg

How's it going "Jahfin?" THREE DOG NIGHT did sound great on 8-Track huh? ROCK ON!

Sure As I'm Sittin' Here~(John Hiatt)

The Show Must Go On! ~ (Leo Sayer)

Eli's Coming~ (Laura Nyro)

They did a lot of covers and did them well enough to make them their own!

No complaints here!

How's it going again "Rorer714?" In my opinion, THREE DOG NIGHT was/is the GREATEST cover band of all-time. The band mixed in their own special blend of sound and style which would result in making all of the cover songs that they recorded, their very own. ROCK ON!

The anthology booklet tells you who sang the lead (and background) vocals on each song. As time progressed, Chuck sang the lion's share of the leads, especially on the hits. Next was Cory and finally Danny. If I remember correctly, Danny was instrumental in putting the group together, but seemed to give a lot of the lead vocals over to Cory and Chuck. Cory provides the incredible lead on "Mama Told Me Not to Come".

For what it's worth, Wikipedia has a pretty weak write-up on the band.

How's it going "JethroTull?" You're not the only one that has mentioned to me about Wikipedia writing up a bad biography on THREE DOG NIGHT. I figure that you have to check out their website to get the full info. That's what I usually do. ROCK ON!

What's up "Rock Action?" You've mentioned some songs here that only the hard core THREE DOG NIGHT fans are familiar with other than the more popular THREE DOG NIGHT hit songs that would become the band's trademark songs. You really have to listen to all of the songs on their albums that were not as popular but pretty much sounded better than the more popular and familiar songs that THREE DOG NIGHT was known for. ROCK ON!

You can't possibly understand just how good this band was until you've bought the albums and played ALL the songs!

The "hits" pale in comparison to most of the remaining songs on the albums. How about "Try A Little Tenderness" from "Captured Live At The Forum"? YOWZA!! B)

You can't possibly understand just how good this band was until you've bought the albums and played ALL the songs!

The "hits" pale in comparison to most of the remaining songs on the albums. How about "Try A Little Tenderness" from "Captured Live At The Forum"? YOWZA!! B)

What album would you recommend checking out first?

Archived