THE THREE DOG NIGHT THREAD

ZeppFanForever

I am so freaking tired of people misinterpreting my posts. If it continues, I will cease to participate on this chat room topic board place. I repeat, if you were a die-hard Zeppelin fan in 1971, you were NOT talking to your buddies about how cool TDN were. It just wasn't happening. I'm old enough to know. It's even acknowledged in the TDN Anthology booklet that TDN lacked the hipness factor.

I am so freaking tired of people misinterpreting my posts. If it continues, I will cease to participate on this chat room topic board place. I repeat, if you were a die-hard Zeppelin fan in 1971, you were NOT talking to your buddies about how cool TDN were. It just wasn't happening. I'm old enough to know. It's even acknowledged in the TDN Anthology booklet that TDN lacked the hipness factor.

How's it going "JethroTull?" As a kid growing up, I was not only telling my friends about how cool THREE DOG NIGHT was then, I was telling them how cool THE EDGAR WINTER GROUP was, THE BEACH BOYS were, THE DAVE CLARK FIVE were and believe it or not, THE OSMONDS were. "JethroTull," you can still be a die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatic and still be a loyal die hard hard core BEATLES, ROLLING STONES, KINKS, PINK FLOYD and WHO fan to name a few. I love Rock n' Roll and I love the bands that represent Rock n' Roll. Every single band in Rock n' Roll history contributed in making Rock n' Roll what it is today and that is what Rock n' Roll is all about. Every single Rock band including the ones that I mentioned all had influences and favorite Rock bands that inspired them to love music and want to be a Rock star. It is ok to love more than one Rock band. I am a loyal die hard hard core fan of all of these bands I mentioned and I am proud of it. Or maybe I should rephrase my statement by saying that I am a die hard had core Rock n' Roll fanatic to the bone and I love all of the bands that helped shaped and make Rock n' Roll what it is today. We are all ZEPPELIN fanatics that reunite and join together here on the Forum to discuss and talk about anything that we want including everyday headlines that happens in everday life or other bands. That's what the Forum is all about. In 1971, THREE DOG NIGHT was a very popular band and I feel blessed and proud because I felt their influence in Rock history then. Their accomplishments and achievements can never be denied even today. Every band contributed and made a difference in Rock history in their own special way and it wouldn't be right to just limit yourself to loving and being a die hard hard core fan to just one Rock band. You'll be cheating yourself out of all of the other great music that Rock n' Roll and its bands has to offer. This is just how I feel and my opinion "JethroTull," I cannot speak for everyone else but I would only hope that many of them, if not all of them, would feel the same way I do. You just mentioned to me in this last post that the TDN booklet stressed that the band lacked the hipness factor. Do you really believe that or do you believe it because the Anthology booklet says it? Please remember, a music critic said that because thats his job. That doesn't mean that you should not like THREE DOG NIGHT because they lacked the hip factor. The real point that I am trying to say here is that you should not hate a group because of what a music critic says, you should hate them because that is truly how you feel. If you truly hate THREE DOG NIGHT because you have heard but never liked their music, that is your choice. You are entitled to express your opinions like everyone else here does and you have the right to love and hate any band that you want. When I write about other bands here on the Forum, I love all of these bands from the 1970's and I like sharing my feelings and thoughts about them with everyone here on the Forum as a fellow ZEPPELIN fanatic. But I also will not strictly limit myself to just bands from the 70's, I will be writing threads on Rock bands from the 1980's, 1990's and the new millennium as well in the future. I hope that you understand what I am trying to say. Again, it is only my opinion. It would be a grave loss if you decided not to post or be here on this particular thread anymore. ROCK ON!

Funny that the TDN and Carpenters threads have more input than Genesis. Never would have believed it.

Must have something to do with the thread starters unbridled enthusiasm, which is both welcome and fantastic.

How's it going "JethroTull?" As a kid growing up, I was not only telling my friends about how cool THREE DOG NIGHT was then, I was telling them how cool THE EDGAR WINTER GROUP was, THE BEACH BOYS were, THE DAVE CLARK FIVE were and believe it or not, THE OSMONDS were. "JethroTull," you can still be a die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatic and still be a loyal die hard hard core BEATLES, ROLLING STONES, KINKS, PINK FLOYD and WHO fan to name a few. I love Rock n' Roll and I love the bands that represent Rock n' Roll. Every single band in Rock n' Roll history contributed in making Rock n' Roll what it is today and that is what Rock n' Roll is all about. Every single Rock band including the ones that I mentioned all had influences and favorite Rock bands that inspired them to love music and want to be a Rock star. It is ok to love more than one Rock band. I am a loyal die hard hard core fan of all of these bands I mentioned and I am proud of it. Or maybe I should rephrase my statement by saying that I am a die hard had core Rock n' Roll fanatic to the bone and I love all of the bands that helped shaped and make Rock n' Roll what it is today. We are all ZEPPELIN fanatics that reunite and join together here on the Forum to discuss and talk about anything that we want including everyday headlines that happens in everday life or other bands. That's what the Forum is all about. In 1971, THREE DOG NIGHT was a very popular band and I feel blessed and proud because I felt their influence in Rock history then. Their accomplishments and achievements can never be denied even today. Every band contributed and made a difference in Rock history in their own special way and it wouldn't be right to just limit yourself to loving and being a die hard hard core fan to just one Rock band. You'll be cheating yourself out of all of the other great music that Rock n' Roll and its bands has to offer. This is just how I feel and my opinion "JethroTull," I cannot speak for everyone else but I would only hope that many of them, if not all of them, would feel the same way I do. You just mentioned to me in this last post that the TDN booklet stressed that the band lacked the hipness factor. Do you really believe that or do you believe it because the Anthology booklet says it? Please remember, a music critic said that because thats his job. That doesn't mean that you should not like THREE DOG NIGHT because they lacked the hip factor. The real point that I am trying to say here is that you should not hate a group because of what a music critic says, you should hate them because that is truly how you feel. If you truly hate THREE DOG NIGHT because you have heard but never liked their music, that is your choice. You are entitled to express your opinions like everyone else here does and you have the right to love and hate any band that you want. When I write about other bands here on the Forum, I love all of these bands from the 1970's and I like sharing my feelings and thoughts about them with everyone here on the Forum as a fellow ZEPPELIN fanatic. But I also will not strictly limit myself to just bands from the 70's, I will be writing threads on Rock bands from the 1980's, 1990's and the new millennium as well in the future. I hope that you understand what I am trying to say. Again, it is only my opinion. It would be a grave loss if you decided not to post or be here on this particular thread anymore. ROCK ON!

Ugghhhh!!!!! I'm not saying I (or anybody else) hated the band. They were just not taken as seriously as bands like Tull or Zeppelin. For one, TDN did not write their music. Look, in 1972, my buddies and I would drive around the great state of New Jersey smoking weed and drinking shitty beer. We would listen to Fragile, Aqualung, Zoso, Machine Head and Paranoid. We weren't listening to TDN in the presence of the others.

Maybe that was your experience but it wasn't mine. "Coolness" (or a lack thereof) didn't even play in to it, I just liked what I heard. I listened to all the artists I did back then without bias whether it be ZZ Top, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Skynyrd, Janis, the Grateful Dead, the Beatles, Hendrix, Dylan, Steppenwolf or even Three Dog Night.

They may have done a few 'silly' songs like Jeremiah was a Bullfrog (Joy to the World) and Black & White ( I DIDN'T Like that one), but they were great live. They rocked out to the max !! Nobody, One, Celebrate, Woman, Chest Fever, Eli's Coming...man, you couldn't beat those numbers.

And NO, they weren't an embarrassment to be a fan of at all in my neighborhood amongst us mid-teens.

Embarrassing would've been someone like Bobby Sherman or, as mentioned in the 'reunion' thread, The Partridge Family. I wouldn't get caught dead admitting I like them, but then again The Cowsills were great and the Partridge's were based on them.

I never cared for Tony Orlando/Dawn or Helen Reddy either, I'm not embarrassed to say. :D

Ugghhhh!!!!! I'm not saying I (or anybody else) hated the band. They were just not taken as seriously as bands like Tull or Zeppelin. For one, TDN did not write their music. Look, in 1972, my buddies and I would drive around the great state of New Jersey smoking weed and drinking shitty beer. We would listen to Fragile, Aqualung, Zoso, Machine Head and Paranoid. We weren't listening to TDN in the presence of the others.

How's it going "JethroTull?' I thought about that after I wrote my post to you and I figured later that you would take it that way. That was my wrong and I apologize for that. What I really should have said to put it simply, was be true to yourself and follow how your heart feels after you have done your own personal research and not believe everything that you read or hear not that I'm saying that you're doing that. Believe it or not, I have spoken to numerous people that HATE THE BEATLES, THE ROLLING STONES, LED ZEPPELIN, THE BEACH BOYS, THE WHO, BLACK SABBATH, DEEP PURPLE, CREAM, THE KINKS and YES to name a few. I could never understand that but people are entitled to their opinions and views and I respect them for that. You cannot make people love the bands that you love, either they love them or they don't simple as that. Yes, you are right, TDN did not write their own music but they did stamp their sound and trademark on the song with their own special blend and that's what makes gives the song new life. Its like when everyone thought that JOE COCKER'S version of THE BEATLES' immortal classic song "With A Little Help From My Friends" was showing disrespect to THE BEATLES' original. In my opinion, I love JOE COCKER'S version better than the original and I LOVE THE BEATLES. Please don't get me wrong, I am not going to try to sway or preach to you about what or how you should feel. I will always respect your views and opinions whether they are positive or negative. I would rather you be true to yourself and be honest then to just agree which I am not saying that you are. For me personally, I love to write about my favorite bands because I like to tell a little about them to the readers. But then again, that's just me. I better stop writing now before this comment turns into a book. I'm so used to writing because I write everyday. Anyway, I hope that you do understand my point and I will respect however you feel just like I hope that you would do the same for me. ROCK ON!

They may have done a few 'silly' songs like Jeremiah was a Bullfrog (Joy to the World) and Black & White ( I DIDN'T Like that one), but they were great live. They rocked out to the max !! Nobody, One, Celebrate, Woman, Chest Fever, Eli's Coming...man, you couldn't beat those numbers.

And NO, they weren't an embarrassment to be a fan of at all in my neighborhood amongst us mid-teens.

Embarrassing would've been someone like Bobby Sherman or, as mentioned in the 'reunion' thread, The Partridge Family. I wouldn't get caught dead admitting I like them, but then again The Cowsills were great and the Partridge's were based on them.

I never cared for Tony Orlando/Dawn or Helen Reddy either, I'm not embarrassed to say. :D

How's it going "gadgetguru?" You do know your Rock n' Roll not that I'm saying that no one else does because everyone on this Forum knows their Rock n' Roll if they love the LED ZEPPELIN Forum. I've also heard that BOBBY SHERMAN, ANDY GIBB, LEIF GARRETT, THE OSMONDS (Including DONNY OSMOND), THE COWSILLS, THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY, THE MONKEES, TONY ORLANDO & DAWN and HELEN REDDY were not on everyone's favorite bands or artists list. Everyone's entitled to that and I respect them for their honesty including yours. In my opinion and I speak only for myself, every one of these bands and artists were extremely popular back in the day since they all contributed something great in Rock n' Roll history. I admit, I was not the biggest TONY ORLANDO & DAWN fan back in the early 1970's but theirs songs "Knock Three Times" and "Tie A Yellow Ribbon Around The Old Oak Tree" were played on the radio constantly that it stayed in my head as years went by. Now, when I hear TONY ORLANDO & DAWN, I love those songs because they are part of something that I love which is Rock n' Roll. The same goes for all of the bands that I have listed above on this response. I also admit that I never dreamed that I would have gotten the overwhelming responses that I received when I wrote THE OSMONDS' THREAD. Believe it or not, there are still millions of fans out there that still love THE OSMONDS. BOBBY SHERMAN was really popular in the late 1960's and early 1970's but his popularity didn't even come close to that of DONNY OSMOND. the last I read about BOBBY SHERMAN was that he became a Paramedic for the L.A. Fire Department after he hung up his singing career. I hope that all of the readers understand where I am coming from. I LOVE the fact that there are so many young readers here on the Forum that love the same bands that I grew up listening to as a kid such as THE BEATLES, LED ZEPPELIN, THE ROLLING STONES, JANIS JOPLIN, FLEETWOOD MAC, BLACK SABBATH and DEEP PURPLE to name a few. These bands will never die as long as music still exists. It must be true that there is a new Rock n' Roll fan born every minute. ROCK ON!

How's it going "JethroTull?' I thought about that after I wrote my post to you and I figured later that you would take it that way. That was my wrong and I apologize for that. What I really should have said to put it simply, was be true to yourself and follow how your heart feels after you have done your own personal research and not believe everything that you read or hear not that I'm saying that you're doing that. Believe it or not, I have spoken to numerous people that HATE THE BEATLES, THE ROLLING STONES, LED ZEPPELIN, THE BEACH BOYS, THE WHO, BLACK SABBATH, DEEP PURPLE, CREAM, THE KINKS and YES to name a few. I could never understand that but people are entitled to their opinions and views and I respect them for that. You cannot make people love the bands that you love, either they love them or they don't simple as that. Yes, you are right, TDN did not write their own music but they did stamp their sound and trademark on the song with their own special blend and that's what makes gives the song new life. Its like when everyone thought that JOE COCKER'S version of THE BEATLES' immortal classic song "With A Little Help From My Friends" was showing disrespect to THE BEATLES' original. In my opinion, I love JOE COCKER'S version better than the original and I LOVE THE BEATLES. Please don't get me wrong, I am not going to try to sway or preach to you about what or how you should feel. I will always respect your views and opinions whether they are positive or negative. I would rather you be true to yourself and be honest then to just agree which I am not saying that you are. For me personally, I love to write about my favorite bands because I like to tell a little about them to the readers. But then again, that's just me. I better stop writing now before this comment turns into a book. I'm so used to writing because I write everyday. Anyway, I hope that you do understand my point and I will respect however you feel just like I hope that you would do the same for me. ROCK ON!

No problemo. Now If you would be so kind as to answer two questions.

1. When are you going to start a Loggins and Messina thread?

2. ZeppFanForever = Joel? True or False.

No problemo. Now If you would be so kind as to answer two questions.

1. When are you going to start a Loggins and Messina thread?

2. ZeppFanForever = Joel? True or False.

Hello "JethroTull," I love all of these questions.

1. LOGGINS & MESSINA, do I sense a LOGGINS & MESSINA fan here? Now you're really giving me good ideas.

2. ZeppFanForever = Joel? TRUE because both my name which is ZeppFanForever A.K.A. John and Joel both have a "J" in front of their names.

ROCK ON!

Hell yeah, Loggins and Messina would be a good one ! Loggins may have seemed the front man, but I believe Messina was really the driving force, musically.

He's been great in Buffalo Springfield and Poco too.

You can't beat that guitar solo in Angry Eyes !!!! :D

Hell yeah, Loggins and Messina would be a good one ! Loggins may have seemed the front man, but I believe Messina was really the driving force, musically.

He's been great in Buffalo Springfield and Poco too.

You can't beat that guitar solo in Angry Eyes !!!! :D

How's it going "gadgetguru?" Both you and "JethroTull" have just convinced me of writing a LOGGINS & MESSINA THREAD in the near future. ROCK ON!

Cory Wells sang the original lead on that one. It's a bit weird, I've been looking at current day stuff on youtube and it's hard to tell what kind of shape Chuck's voice is in. In any case his website Chuck Negron seems to say it all.

How's it going "JethroTull?" Good to hear from you. I read one of your posts that indicated that you are an authority on 1970's music, I am looking forward to conversing with you more on this subject in the near future. In the mean time, ROCK ON!

• 3 years later...

Three Dog Night is touring and will be coming to Riverside next month. Seriously thinking on going down to the box office and getting tickets. I really enjoyed their music back in the day. I am wondering how they sound now. Anybody seen them recently?

BtW.....the search function sucks. Couldn't find this thread by using a search but knew there had to be a thread...rummaged through 55 pages of other artists to find this.

BtW.....the search function sucks. Couldn't find this thread by using a search but knew there had to be a thread...rummaged through 55 pages of other artists to find this.

I've found that the trick is not using the obvious keywords or you're going to get far too many results, you have to think of something that would be unique to the thread you're looking for. For instance, if you want to find threads about the Who if you just use "The Who" that is going to get you nowhere, it's best to narrow it down to a band member, a producer or album title; like someone besides Daltrey or Townshend such as Entwistle. In the case of the Beatles I recommend using "Epstein" (as in Brian Epstein). Otherwise you're going to get far too many results if you just use "The Beatles" or one of the band members' names. In the case of Three Dog Night I would probably use something like "Negron" (as in Three Dog Night member Chuck Negron). In fact, I tried it just now and I got only one result, this thread. By the way, please don't take this as me trying to talk down to you or as me being a smartass, I'm honestly just trying to help you by offering advice that has worked for me in the past.

Archived