Zep w/o Robert?

I think it's rather sad because it is obvious JP wants to do something, and he has a gift, it's a shame it's being wasted and it kind of pisses me off that Robert is being the wall yet again. Although, Robert did say he would never tour with Page again, but they did after the Unledded thing in the late 90's, so I am not going to believe the Zeppelin will not fly again until the fat lady sings.

IMO, there is no Zep without Robert. There can be another band with JP, JPJ and JB, but it wouldn't be Zep.

JP has found other singers to front a band in the past, Coverdale for instance, but nothing and nobody can compare to the magic that JP and RP had/have. They are almost one on stage. It's a rare and beautiful thing.

as in with page and plant

people would still see and be highly interested in anything involving page and jones together no matter what it's called. those two are living breathing corner stones of rock music. only greatness would result in their working together on any level.

undeniably robert's in a great situation with his solo bands. he gets to do what he

loves in a decent spotlight, without the hecticness of a tour that has a billion people trying to buy tickets at once! he also doesn't have to be robert plant from '73, he can be just robert plant.

if worse comes to worse maybe jimmy's management could call his touring band and ask them how well they'd play with broken instraments lol.

without robert i would listen to jimmy jpj and jason's music (and have before). but i wouldn't consider it to be led zeppelin.

without jimmy jpj and jason , i would listen to robert. (and have before). but i

wouldn't consider it to be led zeppelin.

when they all come together and play ledzep material people are going to demand it be called a led zeppelin reunion anyways. it's more a reformation technically.

it just works out better to cut to the chase instead of going out as "a night of led zeppelin with page plant jones bonham"

What about Paul Rodgers? Page was thinking about him for a singer for his band that would become the great Led Zeppelin.

You'll have to clarify your comment. Rodgers was never considered for Led Zeppelin. His

collaboration with Jimmy for a series of benefit concerts in 1983 ultimately led to an

album/tour treadmill which lasted from 1984-1986.

Jason and his sister are owners of Led Zeppelin along with Robert, JPJ and Page man, he does have a say, a legal one and an equal vote, accept that.

Jimmy Page retains sole "legal ownership" of Led Zeppelin. If he called Coverdale, two studio hacks and booked a tour nobody could stop him from doing so. Not that he will.

The others have a say in regards to new releases as they retain an interest in royalties

and publishing. Someone with far better understanding of this than I can come along

and explain it better.

Axl Rose, for another example, has similar "legal ownership" of Guns n Roses which

is why he is able to do as he does. However, anytime there is a Greatest Hits release

etc. the former members retain a legal interest.

Hell, Chris Dreja of The Yardbirds still jumps up and down to this day insisting he never sold Jimmy the rights to the name "Yardbirds" and that a cease and desist order is what led to Page changing the name to Led Zeppelin. It becomes cloak and dagger getting involved in these issues. I'd rather stay out of it.

(edit: Robert Plant and John Bonham were originally SALARIED members of Led Zeppelin).

Jimmy Page retains sole "legal ownership" of Led Zeppelin. If he called Coverdale, two studio hacks and booked a tour nobody could stop him from doing so. Not that he will.

The others have a say in regards to new releases as they retain an interest in royalties

and publishing. Someone with far better understanding of this than I can come along

and explain it better.

Axl Rose, for another example, has similar "legal ownership" of Guns n Roses which

is why he is able to do as he does. However, anytime there is a Greatest Hits release

etc. the former members retain a legal interest.

Hell, Chris Dreja of The Yardbirds still jumps up and down to this day insisting he never sold Jimmy the rights to the name "Yardbirds" and that a cease and desist order is what led to Page changing the name to Led Zeppelin. It becomes cloak and dagger getting involved in these issues. I'd rather stay out of it.

(edit: Robert Plant and John Bonham were originally SALARIED members of Led Zeppelin).

Bullshit man, you have not an idea of what you are talking about, go look up the Led Zeppelin Lawsuit against Atlantic Records and you will see who "owns" Led Zeppelin.

when they all come together and play ledzep material people are going to demand it be called a led zeppelin reunion anyways. it's more a reformation technically.

it just works out better to cut to the chase instead of going out as "a night of led zeppelin with page plant jones bonham"

I agree. In today's soundbyte world, they'd never be referred to by "a night of led zeppelin with page plant jones bonham" anyway.

Bullshit man, you have not an idea of what you are talking about, go look up the Led Zeppelin Lawsuit against Atlantic Records and you will see who "owns" Led Zeppelin.

I don't need too. I'm already aware of that and it pertained to licensing, not the

ownership or name of the band.

(Edit: Led Zeppelin lost this case, btw)

I don't think Jimmy, the eldest of them, would take kindly to Robert, the youngest,

dubbing him Son of anything, particularly a band he would not be a part of. It's all

over but the shouting for Led Zeppelin? :D

:)

Ahh, I don't think Jimmy would be insulted. Though their careers take different turns, I think their too close at heart to have a pissing contest over age. :unsure:

I mean, I'm not saying Jimmy has to accept the name Robert came up with, but

just that as the post below points out, it would be fitting for an outside member to have come up with the new band name during a jam session... B) Cheers. :)

I kind of like "Sons of Thunder", especially because Robert came up with the line. It's kind of like a tribute to how Led Zeppelin got it's name, from Keith Moon I recall.

Someone outside of the band naming them.

I think it would be fitting.

Yeah, ^that's what I'm talking about. :)

Robert is quoted as using the expression 'son' in the plural, so I took it to mean not only Jason, but as the three piece band he sings in front of... :unsure:

As I posed elsewhere on the forum,

I am now looking to see Plant/Kraus tour with Page/Jones/Bonham as their band... :ph34r:

My new obsession. :)

As I posted elsewhere on the forum,

I am now looking to see Plant/Kraus tour with Page/Jones/Bonham as their band... :ph34r:

My new obsession. :)

You may as well because that anticipation compliments all the other Led Zeppelin revisionism you'll find on this board. By the way, Jimmy Page named the band Lead

Zeppelin, which was DERIVED from something either John Entwistle or Keith Moon

said. Peter Grant dropped the "a" from the name before it became official to prevent

mispronounciation within the American market. Jimmy concurred the change.

I can't wait for the next chaper of Led Zeppelin: Revised.

I don't need too. I'm already aware of that and it pertained to licensing, not the

ownership or name of the band.

(Edit: Led Zeppelin lost this case, btw)

Like I said, you have no idea what you are talking about Steve, prove what you say, show us that Led Zeppelin "lost the lawsuit" man.

You couldn't call it Led Zeppelin. The real LZ died with John. I think this guise of LZ is as close as you could get to the REAL thing as you are likely to get with Jason stepping in.

Put it this way, the LZ at the 02 is the closest thing genetically to the old LZ without introducing cloning...

Any other LZ just isn't close, and in my opinion would cheapen the band and it's legacy.

Weve seen it with loads of other bands that came and went with new lead vocalists or main guitar players. It just ain't the same.

Certainly, I for one wouldn't be chuffed if they did it without Robert.

As it is, if you know the history of the band, you can understand why the would do it with Jason and no-one else, and not only that, probably about 99.999% of fans don't see a problem with Jase filling in for his old man. I think if anyone else were introduced, it would be a problem. They certainly wouldn't get oversubscribed ballots like they had for this gig. Of that I have no doubt...

It's becoming clear that Robert wants a true "One Night Stand" with Zep and then he will move on...to whatever project he chooses.

IF Jimmy decides to continue Zep, minus Robert, and move on with another singer - who would see the New Zep?

I, for one, would. No Doubt about it.

I for one would certaintly go see the new band. i think it would be great to see JP and JPJ working together again. Page has said he has been working on new material for the last four years, I am sure he will want to release it at some point.

Jimmy can call up Terry Reid and say "listen, man, that singer you recommended just didn't work out in the end...the gig is still open to you"

LOL That's a brilliant idea. I was going to recommend (who else?) Paul Rodgers -- he would do a very solid job, but Terry Reid is an inspired choice.

Exactly, that is why Roger Daltry refers to Robert as the Great Robert Plant and others in the business call him incomparable.

You don't just replace Elvis folks, there are impersonators, but it is never as good.

There are plenty of great Zeppelin clone bands touring now days, go see them, some of them are really good, but they are not the real thing either.

It's becoming clear that Robert wants a true "One Night Stand" with Zep and then he will move on...to whatever project he chooses.

IF Jimmy decides to continue Zep, minus Robert, and move on with another singer - who would see the New Zep?

I, for one, would. No Doubt about it.

Maybe they could merge with the New Who and the New Queen and form the New Zequwho?

There are singers who can hit the high notes Robert can't hit any more, but that is not going to be Led Zeppelin.

Can you people imagine Page going out at 65 with a 20 year old kid playing Robert ?

That would be a major disgrace to the fans and to the memory of the band.

Was Puff Daddy the new Plant, was David Coverdale, was Kingdom Come ?

Archived