Zep w/o Robert?

Page/Jones/Bonham...interesting idea...

a few singers come to mind. Chris Cornell, Chris Robinson, Jack White, hell even Dave Grohl. Put together a cd's worth of new material and go out on the road...Robert's gonna do what Robert's gonna do, and he's earned the right.

Jimmy Page knows better than tarnish the legacy of the greatest rock band of all time by calling whatever project he may embark on "Led Zeppelin".

Nobody could replace Robert, but I have to agree with you about Chris Cornell. I would go see Chris sing with Page/Jones/Bonham, oh my, that would be great!!!

Chris Cornell is only second to Robert in his vocal ability, IMO. I saw Chris several times last year in concert, and he did a cover of Whole Lotta Love that left me shaking in my socks. Earth shatteringly good. He did a version of Thank You that made me cry. He also did some snippets of IMTOD too, oh my Jesus! And to hear Page/Jones/Bonham do Soundgarden songs? Yes, THAT would be worth seeing!

Still don't think you could call that Zep, but you could call it great!

No, I wouldn't go.....provided I could afford to go in the first place. With Jason on the drums, it feels like the real thing because that's Bonzo's son. It's still a Bonham back there, and he's continuing his father's legacy. But if Robert Plant isn't singing, what's the point?

The point is that depending on who would be in Plants spot, it might sound as good if not even better.

Yeah of course. Just like it might sound even better with another guitarist! Or Bassist! Why didn't they think of this years ago?!

:rolleyes:

The point is that depending on who would be in Plants spot, it might sound as good if not even better.

I think this is a matter of: do you want to see Led Zeppelin, or are you more interested in being able to say you saw a band called Led Zeppelin...

Nobody could replace Robert, but I have to agree with you about Chris Cornell. I would go see Chris sing with Page/Jones/Bonham, oh my, that would be great!!!

Chris Cornell is only second to Robert in his vocal ability, IMO. I saw Chris several times last year in concert, and he did a cover of Whole Lotta Love that left me shaking in my socks. Earth shatteringly good. He did a version of Thank You that made me cry. He also did some snippets of IMTOD too, oh my Jesus! And to hear Page/Jones/Bonham do Soundgarden songs? Yes, THAT would be worth seeing!

Still don't think you could call that Zep, but you could call it great!

I've always thought Page should consider working with Chris Cornell when he was talking for years and years about his upcoming solo album (that never came). Of course, they shouldn't call it Zeppelin, without Robert Plant and John Bonham, that wouldn't work. But under a new name, with some newly written music, I think Page, Cornell, Jones and Jason B. could make a great band! Today, I prefer Cornell anyway over Plant as a singer of hard rock songs. Plant still sounds fine on the subtle, mellower tunes, perhaps even better than in Zeppelin's early days. But the sheer power and range for the heavier stuff is long gone. And yes, I have several O2 bootlegs and I think Plant was quite good, but only a shadow of the Plant from 71 on heavier tracks like WLL or Black Dog.

If Jimmy wants to try something like Led Zeppelin, he should stick with Jason Bonham & John Paul Jones, and invite a singer fit to "replace" Robert Plant, someone like Ian Gillan (Deep Purple, Black Sabbath...), but don't think they should use the name "Led Zeppelin", it's one thing 3 out of 4. Now if there's 2 out of 4 they should use another name.

I've always thought Page should consider working with Chris Cornell when he was talking for years and years about his upcoming solo album (that never came). Of course, they shouldn't call it Zeppelin, without Robert Plant and John Bonham, that wouldn't work. But under a new name, with some newly written music, I think Page, Cornell, Jones and Jason B. could make a great band! Today, I prefer Cornell anyway over Plant as a singer of hard rock songs. Plant still sounds fine on the subtle, mellower tunes, perhaps even better than in Zeppelin's early days. But the sheer power and range for the heavier stuff is long gone. And yes, I have several O2 bootlegs and I think Plant was quite good, but only a shadow of the Plant from 71 on heavier tracks like WLL or Black Dog.

Only problem with this scenario is that Cornell has said recently that he does not want to perform in a band like Zep or Soundgarden anymore. He is totally and completely into his solo thing, hiring people to perform with him. I have to say the result is darned good, having seen his solo tour and being quite impressed, but I agree with you that Page and Cornell along with JPJ and Bonham could be quite the supergroup! I don't see it happening though. I think that Plant getting on with the Zep tour is more likely to happen than Page/Jones/Bonham with another singer.

Personally, I would love to see the other three go on tour without Plant if that is the direction that is needed to get Jimmy Page out in front of an audience again. But I wouldn't feel comfortable calling it Led Zeppelin. I mean, when Plant and Page did their thing, they didn't call it Led Zeppelin, right? But I would love to see them get another singer. Absolutely no problem. And I wouldn't have a problem with them playing all Led Zeppelin. Page ain't like Clapton of Jeff Beck. He really did not have a career that defined him beyond Led Zeppelin (yes, I know, Page had material beyond Zeppelin, but come on what's seriously more memorable?). Besides, outside of seeing the remaining members together, nothing would be more righteous than seeing Jimmy Page rockin' out the riff to Black Dog. Throw some new material in there, whatever. Just get Jimmy Page out in front of an audience. He's too good to just sit around the house waiting for Robert to call.

Of course, the ultimate thing is that Robert just decides to do a tour, then all is well, and this topic is moot.

Of course, the ultimate thing is that Robert just decides to do a tour, then all is well, and this topic is moot.

The problem there is that LZ is so far down Plants priority list. We all know that he is not going to do it for the fans or Page or anyone else, just for himself. Many might think that is fine, I think that it is selfish.

who gives a toss if it's not on the top of his list? you don't ever get sick of doing the same old thing? people have been begging this man to play with Led Zeppelin for 27 years, he finally does it and the first thing they do is beg and whine that it's not enough, he owes us more! no wonder he puts Led Zep on the back burner.

who gives a toss if it's not on the top of his list? you don't ever get sick of doing the same old thing? people have been begging this man to play with Led Zeppelin for 27 years, he finally does it and the first thing they do is beg and whine that it's not enough, he owes us more! no wonder he puts Led Zep on the back burner.

Great post!

Plant claims he DID play some guitar on some Zeppelin stuff. I dug the quote out for this last year on the old site - if anyone can remember it please chime in. Otherwise I'll try to find it again - in my memory and in the paperwork.............

I think it was Boogie With Stu.

And I've seen a pic from '75 where he seems to be holding a guitar, but it was a live shot. Wonder what that was all about?

The problem there is that LZ is so far down Plants priority list. We all know that he is not going to do it for the fans or Page or anyone else, just for himself. Many might think that is fine, I think that it is selfish.

No what's selfish is YOU expecting him to do what YOU want him to do. It's his life, his career, why shouldn't he do what he chooses and makes HIM happy.

:rolleyes:

Zeppelin without Plant? Seriously? :huh:

How about the Stones with...

The Who with...

U2 with...

Who came up with this idea?? :blink:

Robert Plant? ;)

Sorry, hit enter before I was done. Robert HAS earned the right to do what he wants; also, there's no point in him doing it if his heart's not there, for whatever reason. The fact that three great musicians would apparently be glad to work with him is neither here nor there, in the end.

I just hope, if he doesn't want to go "backwards", he stops playing Zep tunes with people who aren't Zeppelin.

And I hope Jimmy moves forward without him, if that's the way it has to be.

This is true, and that is exactly what "he" will do. With Plant it seems to be, Me, Me, Me.

Oh, I get it now, I've seen the light. Despite the fact that as far as Robert is concerned, the band split in 1980, because you personally want to have the chance to say you've seen Zeppelin live, Robert is selfish by protecting their legacy the way he does. It's all so clear now! :blink:

Great post!

I second that!

Oh, I get it now, I've seen the light. Despite the fact that as far as Robert is concerned, the band split in 1980, because you personally want to have the chance to say you've seen Zeppelin live, Robert is selfish by protecting their legacy the way he does. It's all so clear now! :blink:

I don't want a chance to SAY I saw Zeppelin live, I want to SEE Zeppelin live. I love watching the DVDs and all, but every freakin' time I'm getting into one or the other of them, the camera switches to someone else, or goes all psychedelic, or Arthurian legend, or shows the crowd, or what have you. If I could groove along with Jimmy or Jonesy in the flesh through one entire song without an "edit," yeah, I could die even happ(ier).

The O2 show proves the others hardly need Plant protecting them from themselves - most importantly, Bonzo's son is ok with it! So yeah, I hope it's something Robert wants to do, too.

Lets see now, in 27 years he has played in the public 3 times with Page and JPJ. Sorry to hear that it has taken such a toll on him.

Archived