what song started you on Zeppelin?

walrus15427

what song started you on Zeppelin?

mine is immigrant song and black dog

1971...I was 9 years old and just returned to the UK from 2 years living in Singapore. One night, our babysitter brought LZII along when mum and dad went out, and I heard 'Whole Lotta Love' for the first time. Thanks to a girl called Carol Ellicott, I discovered rock and roll!! This thread brought back good memories.

I was just thinking about this the other day, trying to remember when I first knew that Zeppelin existed. I don't remember any particular moment. I was born in 1967 and had an older brother who was always the first one to have the newest music. I wish I had an "ah ha" moment, but for me, Led Zeppelin has always existed, I've always listened to them, they've always been present in my life.

I have to say Living Loving Maid, it was in 1970 and I was 7 years old. However, I really started to listen and buy Zep albums after I saw the movie (TSRTS) when I was 14 and fell in love with Robert, prince charming... ;)

The first 2 that caught my attention were "Your Time Is Gonna Come" & "Custard Pie" when I was about 9 while listening to the radio as I was going to bed. Shortly after it was "The Rover", "How Many More Times", & the live version of "Stairway" that had gotten me hooked. This is in 1982.

I was always "aware" of Led Zeppelin and their songs, namely Stairway to Heaven, Rock and Roll, Black Dog, Whole Lotta Love, Kashmir, Battle of Evermore, etc., but the one song that got me to totally delve into listening to all of Led Zeppelin was The Rainsong.

I was on my way back from a long business trip and driving back home. I was about 30-miles out of town till I was finally able to get a decent FM stereo signal. Tired from my 9-hour drive, hungry and feeling a bit "mellow", if you will, suddenly this song came over the radio that just blew me away. It was The Rainsong.

I had taken about a 25-year break from playing guitar and had just picked it up again as a way to release stress (and pick up some trying to figure out songs to play!). So once I heard The Rainsong, I told myself I was going to learn that song if it were the last thing I did! After hours and hours of practicing it, I finally mastered it. To this day, its my favorite Led Zeppelin song to play on guitar.

So while listening to The Rainsong, I decided to learn a few other tunes from Led Zeppelin. Next came That's The Way, What Is And What Should Never Be, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, Gallows Pole, Over The Hills And Far Away, and Thank You.

I ended up buying the entire Led Zeppelin collection within a year.

DT

I too was always aware of Zeppelin when I was growing up but it was seeing the DVD one night that blew me away. I haven't been the same since. I played the guitar briefly in my teens, now I also am learning songs. It's great to get tabs on the internet and have access to this forum and other sources of information we never dreamed of in the 79s.

This is actually a kinda funny story...

A few years ago, I washed my IPod in the clothes washer :slapface: , so me and my dad kinda like the same music, so i stole his IPod. I saw "Led Zeppelin". I had heard of them, but not listened to them. So I listened to Over The Hills and Far Away and totally loved them! :D :D

• 4 weeks later...

My father used to play Whole Lotta Love to me when I was a baby (or so I have been told), still have the mono 45 from back then. So I guess that's what started me.

A funny side note is that I played Whole Lotta Love for my 5 year old and he loved it. He now refers to it as the "sneeze song" because of Robert's "ahhhh, ahhhh, ahhhhhhhhhhh". It is very comical to hear him do it! :lol:

I had Kashmir downloaded and I couldn't get enough of that,

then I heard Black Dog on the radio and I wondered who the hell these guys were,

then I got Led Zeppelin IV, got sucked into it with Rock and Roll and Stairway to Heaven, didn't really like any of the other songs in it.

I remember I couldn't stand Dazed and Confused or Whole Lotta Love for the longest time, until I heard live versions, then they became my 2 favorites!

Then I bought everything they ever made, and slowly started to love nearly every song, When The Levee Breaks and Misty Mountain Hop being 2 of my favorite, which I never thought would be the case :)

Archived