THE CARPENTERS THREAD

ZeppFanForever

I honestly don't hear anything "unique" in Sheryl Crow's voice, to my ears everything she's done is the very definition of generic. While I'm a big fan of Lucinda's I can't say she's earned the "legendary" mantle either but Car Wheels On A Gravel Road definitely puts her in that territory.

How's it going "Jahfin?" If you don't mind, please let me pick at your mind for a minute to get a feel as to how you think musically. I do realize that you are very intelligent musically. Do you think that Stevie Nick's voice is unique and original not that I am comparing Sheryl Crow's and Stevie Nicks' voices in any way because there is no comparison? Believe it or not, I know many people who do not agree with me that Stevie Nick's voice is legendary. Do you agree with my statement that Stevie Nick's voice is rare, unique and legendary? ROCK ON!

How's it going "Jahfin?" If you don't mind, please let me pick at your mind for a minute to get a feel as to how you think musically. I do realize that you are very intelligent musically. Do you think that Stevie Nick's voice is unique and original not that I am comparing Sheryl Crow's and Stevie Nicks' voices in any way because there is no comparison? Believe it or not, I know many people who do not agree with me that Stevie Nick's voice is legendary. Do you agree with my statement that Stevie Nick's voice is rare, unique and legendary? ROCK ON!

I like Stevie's voice well enough and do find it unique, I also think it can be a bit limited and very one dimensional at times. Years ago I saw a special on the making of Tusk that showed Stevie working in the studio. The clip in question featured her isolated vocals and quite honestly her voice sounded like shit. I also have to say the same thing about her version of Silent Night that was on one of those Very Special Christmas albums. To me, her voice on that sounded like a goat on helium.

I like Stevie's voice well enough and do find it unique, I also think it can be a bit limited and very one dimensional at times. Years ago I saw a special on the making of Tusk that showed Stevie working in the studio. The clip in question featured her isolated vocals and quite honestly her voice sounded like shit. I also have to say the same thing about her version of Silent Night that was on one of those Very Special Christmas albums. To me, her voice on that sounded like a goat on helium.

How's it going "Jahfin?" Ha Ha Ha Ha! A goat on helium, thats a good one. I see where you are coming from. Please corrrect me if I'm wrong but it is your opinion that Sheryl Crow and Stevie Nicks do not have the complete package for female vocalists? I see that you like multi dimensional singers, otherwise female performers that have no limitations in their voical ranges. Would you consider Ann Wilson or even the late great Janis Joplin in being multi-dimensional singers? ROCK ON!

How's it going "Jahfin?" Ha Ha Ha Ha! A goat on helium, thats a good one. I see where you are coming from. Please corrrect me if I'm wrong but it is your opinion that Sheryl Crow and Stevie Nicks do not have the complete package for female vocalists?

At this point I have to wonder if you've even been reading what I think of Sheryl Crow but most definitely not. As for Stevie, yes, I think she has a very limited range but that doesn't mean I don't think she's a good singer. What she does, she does very well but it can grow tiresome after a while.

I see that you like multi dimensional singers, otherwise female performers that have no limitations in their voical ranges. Would you consider Ann Wilson or even the late great Janis Joplin in being multi-dimensional singers? ROCK ON!

I think Ann certainly has the whisper to a scream ability down but a multi-dimensional singer that does not make. Otherwise I do believe she can do everything from heartfelt ballads to out and out rockers. Janis could also do slower stuff like Me and Bobby McGee or rock out. I think her true strength was the blues belters like Cry Baby or Piece of My Heart.

At this point I have to wonder if you've even been reading what I think of Sheryl Crow but most definitely not. As for Stevie, yes, I think she has a very limited range but that doesn't mean I don't think she's a good singer. What she does, she does very well but it can grow tiresome after a while.

I think Ann certainly has the whisper to a scream ability down but a multi-dimensional singer that does not make. Otherwise I do believe she can do everything from heartfelt ballads to out and out rockers. Janis could also do slower stuff like Me and Bobby McGee or rock out. I think her true strength was the blues belters like Cry Baby or Piece of My Heart.

How's it going "Jahfin?" I have read your posts on this thread but I am just trying to understand your musical tastes. Forgive me if I don't answer your posts correctly but eventually I will get on the same wavelength as you are. If you don't mind, what female vocalists or performers do you consider to be multi-dimensional? That will give me a better idea. I should have asked you that question earlier, it would have made it easier on me. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Jahfin?" I have read your posts on this thread but I am just trying to understand your musical tastes. Forgive me if I don't answer your posts correctly but eventually I will get on the same wavelength as you are. If you don't mind, what female vocalists or performers do you consider to be multi-dimensional? That will give me a better idea. I should have asked you that question earlier, it would have made it easier on me. ROCK ON!

Not sure I can answer that question but I can list some of my favorite female vocalists and/or bands fronted by female vocalists:

Tift Merritt

Joni Mitchell

Kasey Chambers

Caitlin Cary

Throwing Muses

Tracey Chapman

Alison Moorer

Iris Dement

Kimberly Morgan

Belly

Mother's Finest

Neko Case

10,000 Maniacs

Donna the Buffalo

Bonnie Raitt

Melissa Etheridge

Janis Joplin

Kathleen Edwards

PJ Harvey

Emmylou Harris

Aretha Franklin

Nanci Griffith

Tres Chicas

Not sure I can answer that question but I can list some of my favorite female vocalists and/or bands fronted by female vocalists:

Tift Merritt

Joni Mitchell

Kasey Chambers

Caitlin Cary

Throwing Muses

Tracey Chapman

Alison Moorer

Iris Dement

Kimberly Morgan

Belly

Mother's Finest

Neko Case

10,000 Maniacs

Donna the Buffalo

Bonnie Raitt

Melissa Etheridge

Janis Joplin

Kathleen Edwards

PJ Harvey

Emmylou Harris

Aretha Franklin

Nanci Griffith

Tres Chicas

How's it going "Jahfin?" You have one hell of a list here. I like all of the female vocalists you listed but the ones that I really like are:

Joni Mitchell

Tracey Chapman

Bonnie Raitt

Melissa Etheridge

Janis Joplin

Emmy Lou Harris

Aretha Franklin

Alison Moorer

10,000 Maniacs

Many of these female performers have vocal ranges that are very soft, smooth and soothing yet very romantic and beautiful. They can also be rough and belt out the high vocal ranges with such raw emotion and power and yet have a beautiful high smooth and soothing falsetto which is unbelievable. Great choice "Jahfin." Now I understand where you are coming from in terms of Sheryl Crow. Please do not get me wrong readers, neither of us are putting Sheryl Crow or Stevie Nicks down in any way. ROCK ON!

Please do not get me wrong readers, neither of us are putting Sheryl Crow or Stevie Nicks down in any way.

Actually, I am. I personally don't care for the majority of music I've heard by Sheryl Crow. I find it to be incredibly generic and without any real character. That's what makes we wonder why she's popular and seemed to be the "go to" female vocalist for so many tribute records several years ago when there's so many better singers out there.

Actually, I am. I personally don't care for the majority of music I've heard by Sheryl Crow. I find it to be incredibly generic and without any real character. That's what makes we wonder why she's popular and seemed to be the "go to" female vocalist for so many tribute records several years ago when there's so many better singers out there.

How's it going "Jahfin?" I will always respect your opinions as well as everyone elses here on the Forum. I do like Sheryl Crow a lot but after seeing a recent picture of her on the internet working out without makeup, words could not describe it. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Jahfin?" I will always respect your opinions as well as everyone elses here on the Forum. I do like Sheryl Crow a lot but after seeing a recent picture of her on the internet working out without makeup, words could not describe it. ROCK ON!

Looks don't really matter to me, I've just always been baffled by her success. I guess that shouldn't be so surprising in the pop music world though.

Looks don't really matter to me, I've just always been baffled by her success. I guess that shouldn't be so surprising in the pop music world though.

How's it going "Jahfin?" You would definitely be one of the few people that feels that way, I commend you for that. ROCK ON!

Archived