THE STEELY DAN THREAD

ZeppFanForever

i think aja iS Esaily one ofX the TOp ten albums ever. when im not listening to zepp, theres a good chance im listening to pink floyd, jimi, eric clapton, or steelY dan.

hey does anyone know where they got that ridiculus name?book.gifhysterical.gif

Ok, ok, they got their name from a sex toy they read about in some book.

Aja was one of the first albums I ever bought (Rumours being the first). I about wore that album out back in '77-78; didn't care as much for their more recent stuff though. About 6 months ago I started listening to them again after a long absence.

• 1 year later...

Steely Dan is going to be touring again. I am trying to save some bucks to get tickets for the Greek in LA. One of the hubbys favorites.

ledzepfvr, That is the best music news I've heard in a long time! :)

I love everything they've done and can only hope they might consider Florida on the tour.

Imagine seeing this and their other gorgeous songs played live. Yippee.

Edited by missytootsweet

I was a lot like "imPLANTed" when I was younger, hated SD, with a passion. In high school I was the lunch time DJ during my junior year, I would get the requests for them but it just wasn't happening. Not while I was in control! About 20 years later one of their tunes was on the radio, one that I had not heard in a very long time, and I liked it! It was a song I would refuse to listen too/play in high school, but for some reason I was enjoying it that day. I have since added them to my iPod. Not full albums, just a dozen or so. Not sure what changed.

I listened to LZ in high school but Bob Seger and AC/DC spent the most time on the turn table. After really getting into LZ and listening to ALL of their work I also feel different about my old faves, not the same as they used to be for me. Still liking them tho, just no where near the play time as they used to get. The Boys get top billing now.

Edited by MINI_Zoso

I like them a lot. Never had a chance to see them live before, but if they are touring this year I will see if they are coming nearby. (Supertramp is my "nails on a chalkboard" band) :)

Durham, NC is the closest and that's still pretty far. :(

Edited by Virginia

Ok, ok, they got their name from a sex toy they read about in some book.

It was the name of a dildo in the book-Naked Lunch written by William S. Burroughs.

I love Steely Dan- shame they didn't tour until years later-starting in 1993 after the early ones they did in 1974. I have two live cd's from that 1974 tour- awesome

here is a great link- a FAQ on Steely Dan

My link

Edited by DavidZoso

• 1 month later...

I got an email from the Greek Theatre. I-net presales are on for April 28 10 am to 10 pm. Password: Nineteen.

Gonna give it a try and see if I can afford them. Would love to take the Hubby to see a band he likes.

I'm one of those people who likes some Steely Dan, but not all. Black Cow, Deacon Blues, Hey Nineteen, Reelin' In The Years, and Show Biz Kids are the only songs of theirs I really like.

I'm supprized you only enjoy those tracks, I could understand someone enjoying one phase of the bands career and not another but that selection is pretty wide.

I'm less of a fan of Gaucho and The Royal Scam but besides them what really stuck out for me was the consistancey of Steely Dans output, each album was for me at least 50% material of the highest quality.

what really stuck out for me was the consistancey of Steely Dans output, each album was for me at least 50% material of the highest quality.

I don't know how the hell I missed this thread...around our house the Dan gets played almost as much as Zeppelin! Particularly Gaucho, Katy Lied and my personal favourite, The Nightfly (Fagen's first solo album which is a must own for any Danfan!) Aja I can still appreciate when I'm in the mood for it, but some of those tunes got so damn overplayed, it's like Zeppelin's fourth album for me now. Seeing the "Classic Albums" making of Aja documentary was an eye opener, though.

The part of the quote I bolded is absolutely true. I reckon out of all the bands I listen to on a regular basis, Zeppelin, The Beatles and Steely Dan are the only ones where every album is good and there are only a handful of weak tracks among them. The other groups who make up my top five, as it were -The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd- have certainly released their fair share of stinkers. IMO Donald Fagen and Walter Becker are the American Lennon/McCartney. Absolute genius songwriters, and funny as hell to boot (if you have the right sense of humour, of course, and it happens that I do). Total maniac control freaks when it comes to recording and production, but hey, they're a couple of jazz crazed audiophiles. What do you expect?

I was very sad to learn a couple of weeks back that Roger Nichols, the Dan's sound guy since 1971, lost his battle with pancreatic cancer. I have to wonder how Nichols' passing will have an affect on the 'band'...sad as it may seem, I can't see Becker and Fagen making another album now without Roger working the desk. But who knows...

I would give my left nut (hell, even the right one; sorry, honey!) to see these guys live. Too bad they hardly ever play in Canada. Hopefully their upcoming tour isn't just a rehash of the '09 "Rent Party" shows...though the July 24/09 Boston gig where they busted out both Aja and The Royal Scam in their entirety is simply one of the greatest fucking concerts I have ever heard by anyone (oh, to have been there!)

Its not something I'v really thought about much but looking at it I do think Steely Dan have a real case to be considered the greatest US band ever, for me it would be between them and Talking Heads. Certain tracks have become radio stables but theres a good deal more that is just as good....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsXg9pQ-1k0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx-Oq9GdN1E

• 4 months later...

I don't think I've seen any sample clips on this thread from Aja.

I'm on my 3rd listen to this track, still sounds contemporary 34 years later, the beauty of Steely Dan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pJ2iw9xieo

On April 6th, 2011 the album (Aja) was deemed by The Library of Congress to be "culturally, historically, or aesthetically important" and added to The United States National Recording Registry for the year 2010.*

*source:wiki

• 1 month later...

I can't believe they finally had the cajones to bust out "The Second Arrangement" at a couple of the 'Rarities' shows...I'd be brazen to say -based on the handful of recordings I've heard- that the Shuffle Diplomacy tour this year was actually better than the 2009 Rent Party shows. The "Dawn Of The Dan" shows -where they mainly focus on the first three albums- are killer.

Bear in mind Steely Dan is not only on the N.A.B. (Not Allowed Bands list) regarding torrents but they also have a rider in their contract that if people are caught filming or taping their concerts, the venue is subject to a $50,000 fine. Hence why recordings of the 2011 tour have been few and far between.

• 1 year later...