Newsweek's Top 10 Songs of 2008

BUCK'EYE' DOC

Hello Everyone!

I was just reading the December 22, 2008 issue of Time Magazine. The List Issue.

The top 10 songs for 2008, according to their editors:

1. "Love Lockdown" Kanye West

2. "So What" Pink

3. "Oh My God" Ida Maria

4. "A Milli" Lil Wayne

5. "White Winter Hymnal" Fleet Foxes

6. "Burnin' Up" Jonas Brothers

7. "Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)" Beyonce

8. "Time To Pretend" MGMT

9. "Rockferry" Duffy

10. "Going On" Gnarls Barkley

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2008/top...1863440,00.html

Here is a link for the top 10 Albums of 2008.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/2008/top...1864324,00.html

I must say that I must be totally out of touch with current music.

The only album that I have listened to is Death Magnetic by Metallica. Can't say that I have even heard any of the top 10 songs.

The only artists that I have ever even heard of is Metallica, Pink, Kanye West, Beyonce, Lil Wayne, and Portishead.

At this time last year, I was confident that in 2008, we would have had something from Led Zeppelin:

a DVD of the O2 Concert, a tour with or without Robert, and a new album. How disappointing that the last year was filled with this sub-par mediocracy that Time Magazine says are the top songs and albums of 2008 (with the exception of the Metallica album).

My sincere apologies for the thread title. I meant Time Magazine, not Newsweek. Please forgive me.

Edited by BUCK'EYE' DOC

Have to say that I wished Pink would have recieved the top spot. Was never really a fan of hers but I caught one of her concerts on MHD and that girl was awsome! :o

As far as that asshat kanye, if he was on my front lawn on fire I wouldn't go out there and piss on him <_<

I must say that I must be totally out of touch with current music.

Can't say that I have even heard any of the top 10 songs.

Please forgive me.

Me neither, but I doubt we're missing anything. No one will be playing any of this years from now, or even remember it existed. Groups like Zep will still be the real tops.

Me neither, but I doubt we're missing anything. No one will be playing any of this years from now, or even remember it existed. Groups like Zep will still be the real tops.

You really aren't missing a thing. Do yourself a favor and avoid any of that music. I can't believe garbage like that is what's considered good. I like being a 14 year old who listens to quality music so that I don't have to be mocked by other generations for crappy music taste. Thank god I heard Zeppelin in time is all I have to say.

You really aren't missing a thing. Do yourself a favor and avoid any of that music. I can't believe garbage like that is what's considered good. I like being a 14 year old who listens to quality music so that I don't have to be mocked by other generations for crappy music taste. Thank god I heard Zeppelin in time is all I have to say.

Why? Some of it I would agree isn't my thing either but Fleet Foxes, Duffy and Gnarls Barkley's albums are really good - especially Fleet Foxes. Though I find Kanye West's persona a bit annoying, I actually like some of his music.

IMO, good music doesn't necessarily have to be something people will remember 30 years from now the way Zep or the Stones etc. are still very much listened to, discussed etc. There's lots of bands from many different eras that had one album, disappeared but I still enjoy. Just my two pence.

I would really like to know; how many of the top ten "artists" have actually written the particular song? Thats the scary part.

Avril Lavigne - here's a guitar, piano, write your own damn album. We'd never hear from her again....maybe thats an idea?

I thought Avril wrote most of her own songs? Hey maybe we can pass that message along to Britney too, lol! I actually like some of these songs though, especially Pink's. I think she is cool!

I thought Avril wrote most of her own songs? Hey maybe we can pass that message along to Britney too, lol! I actually like some of these songs though, especially Pink's. I think she is cool!

I think Avril does write her own music. Britney supposedly writes the lyrics but most definitely not the music.

She does write lyrics, and some melody.

Musicians send her stuff and they change stuff around to suit and to gain song credit.

Didn't Avril write a song that became a hit for Kelly Clarkson also: "Breakaway" - it's actually very good, though I abhor 99.9% of all current pop music.

That top 10 list from Time is just sad - it's utter crap. And people used to think the 70's were the nadir of culture! Oh my, how far we've fallen. Where did all the creativity and talent go.

Edited by FireOpal

I think Avril does write her own music. Britney supposedly writes the lyrics but most definitely not the music.

That's what I thought. Avril also co-wrote"Breakaway" which was a huge hit for Kelly Clarkson. Back to the list, I also like Beyonce's "Single Ladies, Put a Ring On It". I find it really catchy.

Edited by Melanie_72

In context of the songs listed in this thread,

it is a very sad state indeed.

The music sucks.

10 songs out of thousands that were released this year hardly means music sucked in 2008. They're most likely basing it on sales/popularity which means nothing. Besides, it's all subjective - many people might think the list is great.

10 songs out of thousands that were released this year hardly means music sucked in 2008. They're most likely basing it on sales/popularity which means nothing. Besides, it's all subjective - many people might think the list is great.

Good analysis :) wonder what our folks thought about Zeppelin :whistling:

I specifically cited the songs on the list in context and that's what I was referring to. I think the music on that list sucks. Anything someone says about what they like or not is purely subjective anyway (as you noted), how could it be any different ? My subjective opinion is that it SUCKS. Should I repeat that for clarity?

:rolleyes:

Edited by gadgetguru