winter/ snow tires

Uncle Bill

My public service announcement: if you have interest in winter driving saftey please peruse the following link Tirerack faq

The key quote; "Only winter tires are designed to excel in the colder temperatures, slush, snow and ice that many parts of the country experience for three or more months a year."

As an early adopter of this technology I can attest to the amazing difference.

cheers and happy new year UB

My public service announcement: if you have interest in winter driving saftey please peruse the following link Tirerack faq

The key quote; "Only winter tires are designed to excel in the colder temperatures, slush, snow and ice that many parts of the country experience for three or more months a year."

As an early adopter of this technology I can attest to the amazing difference.

cheers and happy new year UB

Thanks for the info Uncle Bill, I'm going to pass it along to my husband. He removed snow chains yesterday only to discover a nail embedded in one tire. We don't normally get extended periods of snow, etc, here in Seattle but the way it's going it looks like we may this year.

front wheel drive is good enough around here.

this makes me think of my dads car when i was a kid. he had snow tires for his 69 nova,w/standard shift and pozi traction. that was when it used to snow alot, jeez.

Front wheel drive, traction control etc have no effect on traction on ice, only better tires will help. The current crop of snow/ ice tires are amazing, you feel hooked up like you do in summer.The biggest problem is dodging the people on inferior tires. This has happened twice already to me this year.

It was weird in the old days when they only put "snows"on the back, were they not conserned with turning and stopping? My dad figured that one out and used "snows" at all 4 corners

These are the tires I personal experience with:

My first choice bridgstone blizzaks

Blizzak%20WS-60.jpg

also a good choice

dunlop graspic DS2

du_graspic_ds2_ci2_l.jpg

They are a little cheaper as well. I ran a set of these on my car after an ice storm followed by blowing drifting snow last Sat. They are on a par w/ Blizzaks IMO although I still switched back.

If you like supporting the little guy against the giant tire makers look at Nokian Hakkapeliittas, these are on the wifes car, a little pricier but her tires are smaller

66big.jpg

front wheel drive is good enough around here.

I don't know where you live but if ice is a possibility check this part of the faq:

What If My Car Has Front-Wheel Drive?

Front wheel drive is certainly an advantage...but its advantage can be multiplied by using winter tires designed for the road conditions you'll encounter. Part of a front wheel drive car's acceleration advantage is because it has 60% of its weight over the drive wheels. And while this helps you get started, it does nothing to help you stop. And a front wheel drive car's weight distribution is not the best for handling and cornering. Many of the reasons that encouraged you to select a front wheel drive car are the same reasons that dedicated winter tires will make your winter driving more enjoyable and enhance your car's braking, handling and cornering traits.

everyone is entitled to do as they wish, I'm just trying to get the word out that there is a much better solution than so called "all season radials" the difference is amazing.

I just bought 4 winter tires for my back traction car and FINALLY I can drive during the snow time!

I had a front traction car and I didn't really use them, only chains when there was too much snow, but now with a back traction I had to buy them: it's a different life, for sure.

I just bought 4 winter tires for my back traction car and FINALLY I can drive during the snow time!

I had a front traction car and I didn't really use them, only chains when there was too much snow, but now with a back traction I had to buy them: it's a different life, for sure.

What brand did you buy?

I hope I'm not being obnoxious with my pushing these tires but I've made it my mission to inform as many people as I can. :D I had a friend from Hawaii who moved to Chicago and was running summer tires on her rear wheel drive Dodge Charger in 3 spots and the spare on the front left and she wanted to know why it was so hard to get around.

Archived