Trouble tuning up/False song starts

JethroTull

I've never witnessed a band/artist having trouble tuning their instruments. I have read articles about Roy Harper and show(s) of his that have been hampered by problems getting his guitar in tune.

I did witness an interesting false start. I attended the 2:00 PM matinee concert performance by John Lennon at the One-on-One concert held in Madison Square Garden in August 1972. Geraldo Rivera was the MC. Opening was Sha Na Na and Stevie Wonder. Lennon was on stage with Yoko and his back-up band Elephants Memory. I think the song was Come Together, but I could be totally wrong. After about 45 seconds, Lennon stopped and they restarted the tune from the beginning. Apparently the matinee was primarily used in the DVD of the concert and I wonder if they include the false start. I never bought it.

I've seen it plenty at earlier concerts when bands didn't have someone tuning guitars for them.

Sometimes it would be agonizing. CSN&Y..oh my....they would practically jam for a bit, tune, jam, tune, start, tune, AAGGHH!!! Stills was the worst.

But, when they finally did start it was magick. :)

I've seen it plenty at earlier concerts when bands didn't have someone tuning guitars for them.

Sometimes it would be agonizing. CSN&Y..oh my....they would practically jam for a bit, tune, jam, tune, start, tune, AAGGHH!!! Stills was the worst.

But, when they finally did start it was magick. :)

Yeah :D I remember seeing them in 74 and it took forever for them to get the acoustic set going.

As you say though, it was pure magick once they did.

Jimmy was bad for that in the early day's too but as we know, he was just giving us all a chance to catch our breath :D

Yeah :D I remember seeing them in 74 and it took forever for them to get the acoustic set going.

As you say though, it was pure magick once they did.

Jimmy was bad for that in the early day's too but as we know, he was just giving us all a chance to catch our breath :D

:D Indeed, I never did mind when Jimmy took his time. And when he broke a string, well, you KNOW it's because he was going crazy on that guitar, so it was ...appropriate somehow.

Archived