John Travolta's son dies

Spalove

Glad we could amuse you, but please don't get all choked up about it.

I love threads about kids dying. The hilarious posts, be they from people who are outraged, sad, or even indifferent, make my day as well. Now, I'm gonna head over to that heavy solemn thread asking what I ate last... as soon as I jog my memory by checking the front of my shirt, I'll post the juicy details.

Yep, way too much hilarity here.

From today's news, looks like there will be 2 pathologists for Travolta son's autopsy scheduled for Monday morning.

Additionally, another article noted that autism is not recognized by Scientology. You can read more on this link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...ck-to-life.html

Yes, the four paragraphs they dedicate to autism and Scientology's beliefs on mental illness are simply two paragraphs that are repeated twice. #lol#

I'm glad I'm not the editor of that article.

Anyway, no matter what the circumstances, I have to say that John and Kelly are crushed, I'm sure. I hope that friends and family are able to comfort them in this terrible time.

Pardon? :blink:

I hope that was sarcasm?

KB

uhh... yeah.

I was being a smartass in response to dzldoc's post (the one just above mine, from which you quoted).

:o yeah what was that about?

I wasn't referring to this particular thread, bad placement of comment on my part.

My apologies :slapface:

:o yeah what was that about?

I wasn't referring to this particular thread, bad placement of comment on my part.

My apologies :slapface:

I thought it was a comment on this particular thread... kind of an admonishment to all of us to lighten up or something... and I saw no reason to do that just yet on this particular topic... so I got sarcastic.

No harm, no foul... :kiss:

Savage's Comments Infuriate Autism Community

Autism Researchers, Groups Find Common Ground in Condemning Radio Jock

By DAN CHILDS

ABC News Medical Unit

July 21, 2008 byline_abcnews.gif

As autism organizations and medical professionals alike voice their outrage at inflammatory comments made by controversial talk radio host Michael Savage, about most autistic children simply being "brats," the head of the network that employs him appears to be taking measures to pull out of a public relations tailspin.

Savage, who in the past, has taken aim at the legitimacy of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and other behavioral disorders, called autism a "fraud" and a "racket" during his July 16 broadcast, adding that "n 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out."

In light of strong public reaction to his statements, Savage issued a statement, further explaining his comments.

"My comments about autism were meant to boldly awaken parents and children to the medical community's attempt to label too many children or adults as 'autistic'," the statement read.

"Just as some drug companies have overdiagnosed 'ADD' and 'ADHD' to peddle dangerous speed-like drugs to children as young as 4 years of age, this cartel of doctors and drug companies is now creating a national panic by overdiagnosing 'autism,' for which there is no definitive medical diagnosis!"

In a response to ABC News' request for comment, Mark Masters, the CEO of Talk Radio Network, sent the same statement that had been posted on Savage's Web site.

For someone who has autism in their immediate family, I can firmly say there is alot of resentment towards the community because of the press some feel they illegitimately receive. I can't speak for people outside of my own family, but I can say autism is real and is a very trying and tiring disease to handle.

My wife has a seizure condition, and usually feels uncomfortable when left alone - but even she sometimes wants to do things by herself, or laments not being able to. I would imagine a 16 year old boy would especially want some freedom and maybe even feel resentment about some nanny always looking over him?

Can I just say I'm sick and fucking tired of the autism community lambasting this man? Now is not the time for this.

If you meant Travolta, I agree, now is not the time. Let the parents grieve.

There will be plenty of time to argue the 'autism doesn't exist' stance of Scientology.

Savage's Comments Infuriate Autism Community

Autism Researchers, Groups Find Common Ground in Condemning Radio Jock

By DAN CHILDS

ABC News Medical Unit

July 21, 2008 byline_abcnews.gif

As autism organizations and medical professionals alike voice their outrage at inflammatory comments made by controversial talk radio host Michael Savage, about most autistic children simply being "brats," the head of the network that employs him appears to be taking measures to pull out of a public relations tailspin.

Savage, who in the past, has taken aim at the legitimacy of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and other behavioral disorders, called autism a "fraud" and a "racket" during his July 16 broadcast, adding that "in 99 percent of the cases, it's a brat who hasn't been told to cut the act out." In light of strong public reaction to his statements, Savage issued a statement, further explaining his comments.

"My comments about autism were meant to boldly awaken parents and children to the medical community's attempt to label too many children or adults as 'autistic'," the statement read.

"Just as some drug companies have overdiagnosed 'ADD' and 'ADHD' to peddle dangerous speed-like drugs to children as young as 4 years of age, this cartel of doctors and drug companies is now creating a national panic by overdiagnosing 'autism,' for which there is no definitive medical diagnosis!"

In a response to ABC News' request for comment, Mark Masters, the CEO of Talk Radio Network, sent the same statement that had been posted on Savage's Web site.

On the other hand, this guy is a jerk and now is a fine time to say so.

I tend to agree that ADD and ADHD diagnoses may be made a bit too often and/or quickly. A lot of the push for those diagnoses and for medication to treat it comes not from MDs and drug companies, but from the education system. Don't get me wrong, I don't absolve the drug companies, MDs, or even parents for their roles in all that. Our society tends to have a 'take a pill, quick-fix' mentality about a lot of diseases, disorders, etc. Sometimes that kind of thing IS the answer, but other times it definitely isn't.

Savage's comments about autism show an incredible lack of understanding and empathy. Perhaps autism is now overdiagnosed, perhaps not. Because of current medical technology and knowledge, doctors and mental health folks are able to learn a lot more about what is going on with people and there are a lot of disorders that used to be considered nonsense until fairly recently. When I was in school, autism was believed by many to be caused by overanxious mothers.

Perhaps Savage should consider the possibility that kids who for years were labelled undisciplined brats and treated as such actually had chemical and/or neurological bases for their problems. There may also be social, cultural, and environmental factors that play a role.

Hey, they finally figured out that Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder exists, and that the Gulf-War Syndrome wasn't just folks' overactive imaginations at work.

So yeah, the 'autism community' should perhaps hold off on lambasting Travolta for awhile... let him grieve. If you meant you were tired of them lambasting Savage, I disagree. Instead, I think Savage needs to pull his head out of his ass.

edited to fix some italic oopses

I meant the lambasting of Travolta. Savage was brought up solely for the purpose of substantiating an activist, arguably militant "autism community" does exist. The views

of Savage are entirely his own. While I do not entirely agree with them, I believe he is an effective (if not entertaining) commentator on issues pertinent to society at large. Views may vary...in an open and free society indeed they should.

Ok, good... that's who I initially thought you meant... and I do agree, now is not the time.

As for Savage, of course views vary, and as they should... no argument from me on that at all. However, just as he is allowed to say what he does, and in the way that he does, so then those who disagree with him can respond in kind. Over-the-top or extreme comments are likely to get a similar type of response. *shrugs*

FWIW, an activist 'autism community' isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's not like tons of autistic people march in the streets or testify before well-attended congressional committees about the problems they and their caregivers must deal with, or to request increased funding for research. *shrugs again*

The kid had medical problems their "religion" forbade them to treat. I am sorry they lost a child, no parent should have to go through that EVER, but this could have been prevented.

I think you may be confusing Scientology with Christian Science.

Christian Scientists prefer not to use doctors, medicine, or immunizations. Christian Science Practitioners are used to help people through the false reality of illness.

Proper prayer and training are employed to battle the "non-reality" of illness.

FWIW, an activist 'autism community' isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's not like tons of autistic people march in the streets or testify before well-attended congressional committees about the problems they and their caregivers must deal with, or to request increased funding for research. *shrugs again*

Oh, but they do!

<...snipped....>

Actually, you provided examples of the 'activist autism community' I mentioned in the first sentence (but not included in your quoting that part of my post). I said it's not like tons of autistic people march... testify before congressional committees...

Most of the autistic people I know, which is admittedly a pretty small number, aren't able to carry on that kind of social interaction. I said what I said in the way I said it for a reason... but my point was missed, or overlooked, or whatever. I stand by what I posted.

As for whether the 'activist autistic community' is doing a good thing, or doing some good things but overstepping or overreaching sometimes, etc... well, that's a different topic.

Archived