Grateful Dead To Tour

ninelives

In Pigpen's latter years with the band, some of his keyboard parts were overdubbed by the recently passed Merl Saunders.

Someone gave me an old bootleg album with Saunders featured on it, but it's too warped to play. I'll bet it was some good shit, too?

Someone gave me an old bootleg album with Saunders featured on it, but it's too warped to play. I'll bet it was some good shit, too?

Merl Saunders was an extremely friendly, accessible man. He once played a 'rainforest band' gig in my little nook of a neighborhood and freely mingled with the small crowd. I thanked him for taking time to play in the hood. No autograph needed or wanted. :D

merl.jpg

I only saw them live once, and was somewhat suprised / put off by the amount of drum solos they did.

There was more than one? To the best of my knowledge "Drums/Space" only took up one part of their concerts and was a huge part of what the Grateful Dead did. They may not have always done it but it did become a big part of their shows over the years.

I guess coincidences aren't always that. More like fate.

As we talk about Pigpen here, I'm listening to an old doo-wop/oldies compilation and what comes on ?

The original "Big Boss Man" by Jimmy Reed that Pigpen used to sing and play harmonica on in concert with The Grateful Dead. :D Wow !!

There was more than one? To the best of my knowledge "Drums/Space" only took up one part of their concerts and was a huge part of what the Grateful Dead did. They may not have always done it but it did become a big part of their shows over the years.

A good part of it was Terrapin Station, and I seem to recall very lengthy parts that centered around drumming. Other than seeing Santana's multi-percussion section years ago, I'm just not into it. I can't even listen to Moby Dick, so it's nothing against any particular drummer...

A good part of it was Terrapin Station, and I seem to recall very lengthy parts that centered around drumming. Other than seeing Santana's multi-percussion section years ago, I'm just not into it. I can't even listen to Moby Dick, so it's nothing against any particular drummer...

It's safe to assume I won't see you in the park at the weekend 'drum circles' then huh? :lol:

Don't be caught dead twirling at one of those lest you be mistaken for some kind of nut.

I guess coincidences aren't always that. More like fate.

As we talk about Pigpen here, I'm listening to an old doo-wop/oldies compilation and what comes on ?

The original "Big Boss Man" by Jimmy Reed that Pigpen used to sing and play harmonica on in concert with The Grateful Dead. :D Wow !!

Jahfin had a thread here about an album comprised of many of the Dead's cover songs, which even still did not have some of my favorites. They are the best at doing this, that I can think of. Not to take away from their original stuff, in any way...

Jahfin had a thread here about an album comprised of many of the Dead's cover songs, which even still did not have some of my favorites. They are the best at doing this, that I can think of. Not to take away from their original stuff, in any way...

I've seen some 'mocking' in the 3 Dog Night thread about them not writing their own material. The Grateful Dead is one of the BIGGEST cover bands when it comes down to it. And I agree, many of their renditions surpass the originals. I love their take on "That Would Be Something" by Paul McCartney. And I was fortunate enough to be at one of their shows when Jerry was alive and they did that. Jerry was outstanding and so delicate in his singing and picking on that number. Very emotional indeed.

Truth be told I'm not a huge fan of drums solos (or drum circles) myself but I do like some of what the Grateful Dead did with that. Plus, you never knew what song might emerge from Drums/Space (one of my favorites is Fire On the Mountain from Dead Set).

Although the Grateful Dead did their fair share of covers I can't say I've ever thought of them as a "cover" band. That said, it sent chills down my spine when they broke into Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds at their Dean Dome show in Chapel Hill in '93. When I saw "The Dead" on their Wave That Flag tour a few years ago they did quite a few covers but very few of them connected with me. They just seemed largely uninspired. One of the few redeeming factors of the show I saw was that Branford Marsalis sat in with them but even that grew tiresome after a while as even he is no replacement for Jerry. I still really, really enjoyed his playing on Eyes of the World though.

As for artists not known for doing many (if any) originals, folks like Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash had a real gift for making other people's songs their own, I feel the same way about the Grateful Dead. Some people like to knock artists for not writing their own material. In some cases I feel it's justfiied, like when the artist in question has a stable of songwriters geared toward penning "hit" songs for them but not when it's someone like Cash who had a true knack for reinterpreting material in such a manner that he made it his own.

Although the Grateful Dead did their fair share of covers I can't say I've ever thought of them as a "cover" band.

As for artists not known for doing many (if any) originals, folks like Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash had a real gift for making other people's songs their own, I feel the same way about the Grateful Dead. Some people like to knock artists for not writing their own material.....but not when it's someone like Cash who had a true knack for reinterpreting material in such a manner that he made it his own.

I don't consider them a cover band in definition so to speak, but at some shows 1/3 to 1/2 of their music was interpretations. And that was an excellent characteristic IMO.

About the re-interpretations, you're spot on. It's just nice when an artist will acknowledge that to an audience. Most artists do and are humble about it.

I've seen some 'mocking' in the 3 Dog Night thread about them not writing their own material. The Grateful Dead is one of the BIGGEST cover bands when it comes down to it. And I agree, many of their renditions surpass the originals. I love their take on "That Would Be Something" by Paul McCartney. And I was fortunate enough to be at one of their shows when Jerry was alive and they did that. Jerry was outstanding and so delicate in his singing and picking on that number. Very emotional indeed.

First of all I wasn't 'mocking' TDN for not writing their own material. I was merely stating a fact, plus I quoted the Anthology booklet when stating that the band lacked the "hipness" factor. I loved the band as did some other folks here. The vast majority of hard rock fans in the early 70's were not as open minded. TDN was essentially a cover band, a very very great one. They covered a wide variety of artists - Laura Nyro, Harry Nilsson, Hoyt Axton, Randy Newman, Elton John, plus some harder rock. I would say 95% plus of their songs were covers. The Grateful Dead wrote the vast majority of their studio material. That is a pretty cool McCartney song for the Dead to cover.

First of all I wasn't 'mocking' TDN for not writing their own material. I was merely stating a fact, plus I quoted the Anthology booklet when stating that the band lacked the "hipness" factor. I loved the band as did some other folks here. The vast majority of hard rock fans in the early 70's were not as open minded. TDN was essentially a cover band, a very very great one. They covered a wide variety of artists - Laura Nyro, Harry Nilsson, Hoyt Axton, Randy Newman, Elton John, plus some harder rock. I would say 95% plus of their songs were covers. The Grateful Dead wrote the vast majority of their studio material. That is a pretty cool McCartney song for the Dead to cover.

They also did a great version of "Hey Jude" and another fave (not Beatles) was "Dear Mr. Fantasy"

Excuse me please for saying you were 'mocking' 3 Dog Night for not writting their own music. Bad terminology by me. I should have just said you 'pointed out', considering their non-writting. I have a recording of that show the GD did that McCartney song. It was truly phenomenal.

I'm hoping they play the UK, not sure though. Its true that its not the 'proper' Grateful Dead, but I'm sure itll be very good nontheless.

Having seen "The Dead" on their last tour I wouldn't get my hopes up too much. Even though they had Branford Marsalis sitting in, it was mainly lackluster at best. Out of all the post Jerry lineups the first incarnation of The Others Ones was the one I enjoyed the most. Still, none of them will ever even come close to holding a candle to the Grateful Dead. Jerry simply left far too large of a void to fill for that. I've found their true legacy to be songs passed around the campfire at MerleFest. After all, they started as a folky jugband before the whole "jam" thing started so it's only natural that Jerry would find his songs enjoyed best while sitting around a campfire. That's the true nature of "folk" music to me and that was the Grateful Dead's real forte, at least to my way of thinking.

From dead.net

$475 | Purchase this Package (per person)

Golden Road

• Seats located in Section B on the floor. Exact seat location will be shared 5 days before show.

• VIP Room access at the venue featuring finger foods, private cash bar, lavish accommodations, and more

• VIP Parking passes and directions to our lot will be sent out 3 weeks before the shows. (1 Pass for every order of tickets)

• VIP Entrance: A convenient and hassle free entrance into the venue.

• 1 Limited Edition official Dead 09 T-Shirt and 1 Limited Edition official Dead 09 Show Poster otherwise unavailable

$350 | Purchase this Package (per person)

High Time

• Seats located in Sections A, B, or C on the floor or Sections 10, 11, 25, 26, or 27 in the lower bowl. Exact seat location will be shared 5 days before show.

• VIP Room access at the venue featuring finger foods, private cash bar, lavish accommodations, and more

• VIP Parking passes and directions to our lot will be sent out 3 weeks before the shows. (1 Pass for every order of tickets)

• VIP Entrance: A convenient and hassle free entrance into the venue.

• 1 Limited Edition official Dead 09 T-Shirt and 1 Limited Edition official Dead 09 Show Poster otherwise unavailable

• Section choice (Floor or Lower Bowl) made at checkout.

I never cared much for any of the other keyboard players after Pigpen - too much ragtime, and not spacy enough. And the 2 drummer thing never made any sense - Bill K. was more than adequate.

But Phil Lesh is a fun bassist and Bob Weir does a good job on covering old time type songs. I wouldn't mind checking out their show, if they're doing stuff like "Me and My Uncle" and "Brown Eyed Women"...

PigPen had a great voice and could wail on harp.."Easy Wind" is still one my all time fav Dead songs..

once he died in 73 and the "Donna Years" approached, their live sets suffered. On record, they were still money and produced some dope stuff, but their live sound suffered tremendously. She frequently sang out of tune with Jerry and it didn't help this was also the darkest years with the band's excesses. However, they eventually rebounded and their live shows in the late 1980s were some of the best they'd ever done.

As for the outlandish ticket prices for the new tour...Jerry rolls over again. <_<

Tickets for The Dead go on sale next Friday. Last night I hear Box of Rain on XM. Am I just going to be disappointed if I go to this? Maybe this is a good scalping opportunity.

Only if you put that in your mind ahead of time. Go to see some great musicians play. It won't be the Grateful Dead but if you don't expect it to be, you'll probably see a great show.

Guess I wasn't so motivated to buy tickets today. Out of curiosity, I ended up checking ticketmaster around 3:00 pm and found tickets BEHIND the stage and up the the NOSE BLEEDS at TOP dollar.

I'll tell you ticketmaster is really confusing. I searched for tickets for some other show (also out of curiosity) and got diverted to some ticket reseller. What a mess.

• 2 months later...

MUSIC

Bring Out Your Dead

09dead.600.ms.jpg

Nicholas Roberts for The New York Times

From left, Phil Lesh, Bob Weir, Bill Kreutzmann and Warren Haynes of the Dead at the Gramercy Theater in Manhattan last month.

By BEN RATLIFF

Published: April 10, 2009

I WENT to a Phil Lesh concert in New York last fall, on the third night of a 14-night run. I sat next to a man who looked informed: he listened with familiarity and good humor and a touch of impatience, as if he wanted to fast-forward through certain parts.

“Seen any of the other shows?” I asked.

“I’ve been to every show since 1972,” he said. “In the New York area.”

His name was Jimmy . By his definition, “every show” meant every concert by the Grateful Dead, the San Francisco rock band, until the death of Jerry Garcia, its guitarist and singer in 1995, and then every subsequent show by Phil Lesh, the band’s bassist, who has led various touring bands with a sound much in the spirit of the Dead. We got to talking. I asked when he thought the Dead reached its peak, game to try out a half-formed argument for 1975, or thereabouts.

You can read the rest of the article here.

Archived