Seattle 3/21/75

Dr. Giggles

I have not been able to turn this 3 hour plus show how off. Till now I thought '73 was there best year but Seatlle 75 is changing my mind. Unbelievable. What do you think. Personally, this is better than Earls Court imo. Damn, i cant believe how good is this.

I have not been able to turn this 3 hour plus show how off. Till now I thought '73 was there best year but Seatlle 75 is changing my mind. Unbelievable. What do you think. Personally, this is better than Earls Court imo. Damn, i cant believe how good is this.

It's a great show indeed. While I also prefer this show (and most March 75 shows) over Earl's Court shows, IMO Zep's live shows peaked in 71 and 72, not in 1975. March of 73 is pretty awesome also.

Edited for some typos.

Nice to hear from some one who listened to this. Every year had its moments. For me though I couldn't not turn this off. I dont know if it was the Lairds AppleJack talking but this really impressed me. Honestly, even Zep at their worst is better than everyone else at their best. So all I can say is rock on. :)

Terrific show and I agree with the comments concerning this gig and the Earls Court series of concerts.I have got to say that I'm not always a fan of some of the really long,meandering marathon pieces that the band played but the version of 'Dazed and Confused' from this gig is a stunner.

This show has widely been considered one of the best. Even though its good audience I would love for this show in soundboard,

While all the songs and this entire show is above average I cant think of any song that is definitely the best version. Hard to say though as some shorter songs did not vary much from night to night. And Ive heard so many versions of each song and often you always say while hearing it, its the best version, but thats just you in the moment.

There is also the SIBLY insert which is a treasure and seems like the one of the best versions, similar to TSRTS version (which i consider the best)

As far as the No Quarter, Jonsey or Bonzo set the tempo up very fast and starting with the latter part of Jonsey's piano solo everything is in 1.5-2x speed from other No Quarters. (You can tell they started to get faster two nights before in Vancouver as well). Somehow the song is still long even though it seems like they are playing it faster. Anyway these same pieces we've heard played in previous NQ's played faster makes this song immediately sort of more fun/upbeat. But I quickly learned I do not prefer it all at this fast tempo. I prefer it at normal speed, enjoying each part more meticulously.

And do all versions cut to a lesser quality recording right before the start of the Stairway Solo?

IMO the best show of 75, and featuring not only For What It's Worth in Dazed and Confused but I Shot The Sheriff as well.

Does a version exist that doesn't cut to a lesser quality a the start of the "Stairway" solo.

IMO the best show of 75, and featuring not only For What It's Worth in Dazed and Confused but I Shot The Sheriff as well.

Does a version exist that doesn't cut to a lesser quality a the start of the "Stairway" solo.

I dont think so.

Ive got the blow jobs version which has the 17th show as well. Stunning also.

Damn shame about the drop in quality from the stairway solo, many reckon its the best version

ever as well.

you never know, one day the soundboard might appear.

heres hoping!

While all the songs and this entire show is above average I cant think of any song that is definitely the best version. Hard to say though as some shorter songs did not vary much from night to night. And Ive heard so many versions of each song and often you always say while hearing it, its the best version, but thats just you in the moment.

Post 73 the entire showing being good/great is I'd say fairly unique, the opening few numbers espeically were almost always iffy in 75 but are great here.

Not sure about the best versions ever but NQ, DAC and TU are certainly up there with them and have alot of energy that the epics in latter years soemtimes lacked.

Great show, no doubt...and longest ever Dazed!

Wrong, the longest ever Dazed was 8 days later at the La Forum, but regardless this is my favorite ever dazed.

And to the first poster, if you think that 75 was their best year, don't hear anything from January you'll be horrendously dissapointed.....

And to the first poster, if you think that 75 was their best year, don't hear anything from January you'll be horrendously dissapointed.....

Agreed, Jan is terrible, which is too bad since they were playing When the Levee Breaks, Wanton Song, and revived How Many More Times (instead of Dazed since Jimmy had a hurt hand)...

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed, Jan is terrible, which is too bad since they were playing When the Levee Breaks, Wanton Song, and revived How Many More Times (instead of Dazed since Jimmy had a hurt hand)...

I personally enjoyed the hardly rehearsed versions of the new Graffiti material played in Chicago in january. To me those were pretty cool moments. Good stuff imo. But than again I can listen to '77 Chicago also :lol:

I personally enjoyed the hardly rehearsed versions of the new Graffiti material played in Chicago in january. To me those were pretty cool moments. Good stuff imo. But than again I can listen to '77 Chicago also :lol:

What is it with Zeppelin and Chicago and shitty gigs? In 1973 they opened the second leg of the tour and Plant's voice was shit and the band was so-so. In 1975 Jimmy and Plant were awful when they opened the tour there, and in 1977 the Chicago stand was within the first week of the tour opening and the band was OK but Jimmy was not...

Chicago cursed the Zep!! :D

Oh, back to the thread.....

The crazy thing about Seattle is the one bad gig they did ('77) is the easiest to get!

Behind LA and NYC, Seattle must have been the next best place to see the mighty Zep!

Wasn't Chi-town also one of the first dates of the proposed '80 fall tour and the tickets had to be refunded? Hmmmm....maybe you ARE onto something here!! :lol:

Yeah they had 4 or 5 shows in Chicago scheduled as the centerpiece of the fall '80 Tour...

I agree, Seattle always seemed to bring out the best in the band...except for '77! I still love the video of Seattle '77, though...

Oh, back to the thread.....

The crazy thing about Seattle is the one bad gig they did ('77) is the easiest to get!

Behind LA and NYC, Seattle must have been the next best place to see the mighty Zep!

The Seattle performances are usually said to have been on par with the LA performances, and there's a reason why, year after year the marathons they gave in Seattle are with high regard amongst collectors and trader.

We sadly don't have much audio from their pre-72 shows in Seattle, they played there on their 69 Summer tour and a soundboard from that show certainly exists, and came close to being released about a decade ago.

They'd come back on their Spring 70' tour, it must also have been a brilliant performance, it was their second gig on the tour an one can assume the band was in high caliber that night. On their legendary Summer 1970 tour, they played a gig at the Seattle Center Coliseum, whilst going down the west coast in what would ultimately lead to their famed performance on September 4th in LA. No tape has surfaced of this show, which is a shame really because this concert could be on par with the LA shows.

Once again on their Summer 71' tour they came to Seattle, this time, the day before their LA shows and it must also have been an otherworldly performance, probably Plant had pushed his voice to the limit at this concert, as on the next concert he still was able to hit those high notes but a bit raspy on the edges.

But then on Summer 72, the first show from Seattle on which we have a recording from, it's really devastating. The first show only exists in a fragment but it's a great one, featuring great playing from the band to a mixed American-Canadian crowd, then next night, on arguably one of their greatest, most epic and best ever shows they gave it all, and played

7 encores, debuted 4 new songs. And the band is on top shape, it's not only on par with next week's show on LA, it's better.

Back to Seattle on their Great North American 73 tour, this time the band gave also a top notch performance, that was recorded on the classic bootleg album V 1/2, performance wise, it shows one of the very best performances of the tour, with loads of creativity, it can be safely assumed that the band was really conformable with the Seattle crowd.

Then again on 75, to great shows at the height of the tour, that are ought to be remembered as bona-fide performances on all fronts, this thread already discusses them so I'd jump over to 77.

77: Arguably the worst Seattle performance we have record from, and also the most widely circulated due to it's Pro-Shot video fame. It's really lackluster, Jimmy and Plant are the biggest culprits, Jimmy's playing is extremely spotty and mostly lackluster, and Plan is Sick, giving his voice a miserable state, that's as bad of even worse than many of the bad 75 gigs. Jonesy's is solid but nothing to especial, credit has to be given to Bonzo for keeping the show together and giving a rather spectacular performance.

But why does the band lack so much in Seattle in 1977?

Well, it was the first concert of their third leg, and effectively close to a month after their last gigs. I do think it was the rather rusty band, they could've done so much more in Seattle, it actually makes me think that had a Seattle gig been scheduled later in the month or earlier in June, or April, they would've given a performance for the ages.

506.jpg

• 1 year later...

Havn't listened to this show tbh, can't find any links. What are 'good version(s) to get? I have seen the Cobra version somewhere and the Source 1 master (without the encores)....

At first I got whatever I could find but I was so disappointed with the quality I kept searching for the best one. Eventually my ears better adjusted to Audience recordings. I have 3 different ones and I have found "Blow Jobs" from Turantura to be the best.

Again if you are thrown off by the quality keep listening, use (good) headphones, and drink! This will help you get into the show more and forget about the quality. Unfortunately there is a drop in quality right when the Stairway solo comes on, sounds like one of the best version too :/.

Archived