Albums you should't enjoy, but do

Cletus

Does anyone have any albums like this. I can think if one at the moment.

Rush - Hold Your Fire (1987)

Most of it sounds like rather generic 80's pop. It pales in comparison to their earlier output. But for some reason, I find myself really enjoying many of the songs on this one. I think my favorites would have to be "Second Nature, Mission and Turn the page.

Not that i feel any embarrassment, because i don't...but i'm sure many here would not care for my list.

I love: the first two Counting Crows albums, August and Everything After and Recovering the Satellites...Billy Squier's Tale of the Tape, Don't Say No, Emotions In Motion, and Happy Blue...Creed (arms protecting my head), My Own Prison and Human Clay...Sinead O'Connor, I Do Not Want What I Haven't Got and Universal Mother (excellent)...anything by Skinny Puppy.

arovers_best2.jpg

Could have been the whiskey, might of been the gin

Could have been the 3 or 4 six packs, I don't know but look at the shape I'm in

My head is like a football...I think I'm gonna die

Well meo meo my, wasn't that a party :D

Could have been the whiskey, might of been the gin

Could have been the 3 or 4 six packs, I don't know but look at the shape I'm in

My head is like a football...I think I'm gonna die

Well meo meo my, wasn't that a party :D

That "Bottle of Wine" made me see "Unicorns" :D

Some current/former favorites from my collection that don't jive with the LZ vibe :hippy:

Mariah Carey-"The Emancipation of Mimi"; Howard Jones-"Dream Into Action"; Dixie Chicks-"Wide Open Spaces"; Toby Keith-"How Do You Like Me Now"; Maroon 5-"Songs About Jane"; Journey-"Escape"; Daughtry-"Daughtry"; Sara Bareilles-"Little Voice"; REO Speedwagon, "You Can Tune a Piano but you Can't Tuna Fish"; The Black Eyed Peas-"Elephunk"

There's not a damn thing the matter with liking Counting Crows, August and Everything After is one of the best debuts I've ever heard. Now, their remake of Joni's Big Yellow Taxi, that's something to be embarrassed about.

As for my own collection, there's nothing in there I'm the least bit ashamed of except for maybe a 45 of the Bee Gee's Jive Talkin'. I'm pretty sure it was Clapton's Willie and the Hand Jive I went looking for and just got the two confused. :)

guilty pleasures? meaning artists that many who love zeppelin might not appreciate?

first of all-there are better things to worry about when choosing music.

second of all- here's my list:

i love everything by digital underground

hardcore prince fan

big public enemy fan

huge loretta lynn fan

i have trouble finding better albums than r.e.m's first 6...

if you say "elvis costello", i will say "elvis is STILL king"

i never turn a tommy james and the shondells song off..

i own several earth, wind, and fire albums

i have a large nat king cole collection on vinyl

i love bootsy collins and everything he has done, from james brown through p-funk, and even "groove is in the heart" by dee-lite

i love the song "some enchanted evening" from the show 'south pacific'

karen carpenter singing 'desperado' is haunting...and kick ass.

i own the vinyl "dot" e.p. of pat boone sings with 'aint that a shame' and 3 other selections from 1955

for some reason, ministry doing 'psalm 69' kickstarts my heart

i hope that's enough to get me kicked outa here...

edit to add: damn! albums?

guilty pleasures? meaning artists that many who love zeppelin might not appreciate?

hardcore prince fan

big public enemy fan

huge loretta lynn fan

i love bootsy collins and everything he has done, from james brown through p-funk, and even "groove is in the heart" by dee-lite

i own the vinyl "dot" e.p. of pat boone sings with 'aint that a shame' and 3 other selections from 1955

I can't see apologizing for Prince or REM personally :D I love both. Some of your others I like as well.

Some current/former favorites from my collection that don't jive with the LZ vibe :hippy:

Mariah Carey-"The Emancipation of Mimi"; Howard Jones-"Dream Into Action"; Dixie Chicks-"Wide Open Spaces"; Toby Keith-"How Do You Like Me Now"; Maroon 5-"Songs About Jane"; Journey-"Escape"; Daughtry-"Daughtry"; Sara Bareilles-"Little Voice"; REO Speedwagon, "You Can Tune a Piano but you Can't Tuna Fish"; The Black Eyed Peas-"Elephunk"

I agree, most of those are cringe worthy and an embarrassment.

I don't have anything I would hesitate to play for a rocker. I have stuff that would embarrass my sisters though. All that drug, sex in the rock and roll ya know.

I love rock. But first and foremost I am a music fan, if it's good, it's good, no matter what style. Can't come to think of anything I would be ashamed of admitting to listening to. Though, some stuff would come off as surprising maybe..

What's wrong with REO Speedwagon, "You Can Tune a Piano but you Can't Tuna Fish"? That is a great album!

I agree, most of those are cringe worthy and an embarrassment.

I don't have anything I would hesitate to play for a rocker. I have stuff that would embarrass my sisters though. All that drug, sex in the rock and roll ya know.

Maybe :blush: But they are fun to sing/dance along to :D I actually think Sara B. is pretty good and I really do like Maroon 5 (I know, I know; 'yall can't stand them...).

What's wrong with REO Speedwagon, "You Can Tune a Piano but you Can't Tuna Fish"? That is a great album!

Thanks DD; I did like REO back in the day; I had all their albums through Hi Infidelity. What did they used to say...REO Journeywagon? :D

Counting Crows - August and everything after.

Man I loved that album when I was a teen. I was so addicted to the song Mr. Jones. Haven't listened to it in ages, and never bought any other CC albums.

I remember around the same period I was into this Canadian band called Crash Test Dummies. Here's a video to one of their most famous songs.

MMM MMM MMM MMM

Ah Memories.

I really like Josh Groban and have been to one of his concerts.

I have all of his albums: Josh Groban, Closer, Awake, and Noel.

My wife is nuts over this guy. He does have a great voice, and some of the songs are powerful. I haven't joined her at his shows yet, but probably wouldn't mind in the future.

Counting Crows - August and everything after.

Man I loved that album when I was a teen. I was so addicted to the song Mr. Jones. Haven't listened to it in ages, and never bought any other CC albums.

I remember around the same period I was into this Canadian band called Crash Test Dummies. Here's a video to one of their most famous songs.

MMM MMM MMM MMM

Ah Memories.

I used to love Crash Test Dummies! Wow I hadn't thought about them in years :)

I'm not sure what there is to be embarrassed about in liking Counting Crows, especially their August and Everything After record.

It's a great album, and their second one rocked too. I just don't think most Led Zeppelin fans agree.

trivia: Singer Adam Durwitz dated Jennifer Aniston

I'll add to my list: everything by the Cocteau Twins, Blue Bell Knoll, Treasure, Victorialand, to name a few... a hardcore Industrial/hard rock fan turned me on to them back in 1995. Singer Liz Frasier has one of the prettiest voices.

I also like the latest Coldplay album Viva LaVida (sorry Satch fans).

Whoever mentioned the BeeGees, i love the songs that would be considered their "greatest hits" but haven't listened to them lately :)

It's a great album, and their second one rocked too. I just don't think most Led Zeppelin fans agree.

trivia: Singer Adam Durwitz dated Jennifer Aniston

I'll add to my list: everything by the Cocteau Twins, Blue Bell Knoll, Treasure, Victorialand, to name a few... a hardcore Industrial/hard rock fan turned me on to them back in 1995. Singer Liz Frasier has one of the prettiest voices.

I also like the latest Coldplay album Viva LaVida (sorry Satch fans).

Whoever mentioned the BeeGees, i love the songs that would be considered their "greatest hits" but haven't listened to them lately :)

Such a cultured lady, you know everybody :o

I can think of one classic.

Such a cultured lady, you know everybody :o

I can think of one classic.

Yeah, Run To Me is one of the greats! I wouldn't say i know everybody, but i have loved music all my life. My father loves classical and opera, so while i'm very very picky in opera (and only like a very few) i do love and can easily listen to Beethoven, Mozart and some other really great pieces. I am first and foremost a rock n roll lover...but i like some soft rock and some R & B (considering an Alicia Keys album)...and lots of "oldies"...jazz, alternative...etc...

if you think i'm cultured download one Skinny Puppy song, lol...Dig It would be considered their "commercial" song... :)

I think all one needs to do is look at the music that influenced Led Zeppelin and look back on the interviews with them about what albums populate their record collections. I think there's a wide and very diverse range of music there that is also encompassed by their fans. Well, the majority of them anyway. Some folks knock rap music yet Page was musically adventurous enough to work with Puff Daddy. Others put Plant down for working with Alison Krauss yet the music they created for Raising Sand is at the very heart at what made Led Zeppelin tick. Plant also used R.E.M.'s Life's Rich Pagent as the house music when I saw him on the Now and Zen tour. Zeppelin painted from a very rich and deep musical palette, it's only natural that their fans tastes reflect that. There's not a damn thing embarrassing about that.

hardcore prince fan

big public enemy fan

huge loretta lynn fan

Well, if they kick you out, they'll have to kick me out too...because there ain't a damn

thing on your list that you need to be ashamed of and I, too, have everything on your list.

Well, except for the Pat Boone vinyl EP...but I do have Pat on cd.

Awwwwww, Tangerine, it's too bad you didn't get introduced to the Cocteau Twins until

1995, as you missed out on hearing them live. As great as Elizabeth Frasier was on

record, it was seeing her do her thing in concert that really blew your mind.

Awwwwww, Tangerine, it's too bad you didn't get introduced to the Cocteau Twins until

1995, as you missed out on hearing them live. As great as Elizabeth Frasier was on

record, it was seeing her do her thing in concert that really blew your mind.

The first time i heard Cocteau Twins, my friend was listening to them on his walkman and gave me the headphones. He had Treasure on. I listened for a few minutes and said "what are they French?" He wouldn't tell me more (although he knew)well i didn't like them at first...but when he played them on the stereo while i was trying to sleep, i started to really enjoy them. Soon after, i went out and bought all the CD's i could find (Tower Records had the best selection). I do have a double live CD, and Liz sounds fantastic, but i am sorry i never saw them live. In the beginning i thought there were two female singers, because her range is so drastic. A wonderful singer...I have to check on line for DVD's.

Archived