First boot you heard?

ledzep45

The first unauthorized live recordings I ever heard were by Led Zeppelin. I think the first one was Europe '75 or something like that. All I remember is that Kashmir figured prominently on it. The other was Live On Blueberry Hill. The first "authorized" unofficial live recording I ever heard was a Grateful Dead show from Merriweather Post Pavillion from the early to mid-80s that was taped on a boombox. Sounded crystal clear to me.

Haven't listened to one, don't really care to.

Care to elaborate?

Speaking just for myself, back when I didn't know any better I purchased a few bootlegs (on vinyl and CD). Since the advent of the internet that's no longer necessary, many sites offer them for free. One site in particular even offered up "liberated" shows. Concert recordings that were previously only available via illegal bootlegs that fans uploaded for free so everyone could hear them without having to fork over a single penny. For me, live recordings are a way of delving deeper into a band or artist. Sometimes the recordings are studio outtakes that were never meant to be heard by the general public, sometimes they're live recordings. While some still like to support bootleggers, I think it's very cool that these recordings have been made available for free these days. In some cases (like that of the Grateful Dead), they were never sold for profit, the whole idea (endorsed by no less an authority than the band themselves) was to share them for free.

It'd be 'Going to California'. When I was at school, back in the 70's there was one cool kid who had a copy of this - bootlegs were virtually unobtainable in those days. We all borrowed and taped it and played it over and over.

It seem weird now when virtually every Zep bootleg is now available at the click of a mouse! i can't believe anyone would 'not care to' listen to Zeppelin bootlegs. Despite the brilliance of the studio albums, Zeppelin were primarily a live band and are sadly under represented in official live releases. Luckily, many superb concerts were preserved for posterity by bootleggers and have contributed enormously to enhancing Zeppelin's reputation as the greatest rock band of all time.

Jethro Tull - Ticketron Live 1972 on vinyl. I still enjoy listening about once a year.

I also own a two LP set of Springsteen called The Jersey Devil. I would put the year as about 1975. Multi-colored vinyl.

All my other bootlegs are cassettes or CD. I own several Tull and Dictator bootlegs. It gets a bit dull after a while. And we all know, Tull rhymes with dull.

Archived