Fort Bragg soldier killed after Jimmy Buffet song fight

Jahfin

From WRAL.com

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, COLO. — A Fort Bragg soldier was killed after a bar fight triggered by an argument over a Jimmy Buffet song playing on a jukebox.

Steamboat Springs police said Richard Lopez, 37, and two of his friends played the song at the Tap House bar and two other people started arguing with them over it. Lopez's family told The Denver Post the song was "Margaritaville."

The Steamboat Pilot and Today reported that one of the bar's co-owners said the groups were kicked out and that no punches were thrown inside the bar at about 12:15 a.m. Friday.

But police said Lopez was unconscious when they arrived. He was airlifted to Denver Health Medical Center and was pronounced dead Monday morning.

Capt. Joel Rae said police have interviewed two people involved in the fight but no one has been arrested.

"This is a very sad and serious case," he said.

Rae said the suspects in the case have fled the area and hired attorneys.

Lopez was stationed with the Army at Fort Bragg. Rae said that one of Lopez's friends was also in the Army, while the other was in the Navy. Police said they were also injured in the fight.

All three were on military leave, Rae said.

I might've kicked the jukebox to get that sucky song to quit playing, but it's not worth fighting a person over.

I'd say they were overly passionate music lovers who hated Jimmy Buffet and took it out on some poor dude. Maybe he put in lots of quarters to play it over and over. In that case, I understand someone letting off some steam toward him.

One person's sweet melody is another's noise pollution.

Lopez should've just put on "Livin' La Vida Loca" or something like that.

I'm actually a huge Buffett fan and have never thought Margaritaville was all that bad. In fact, I know of some friends that do a rearranged version of it that slows down the music and puts all of the emphasis on the words. In that context it's a totally different way of enjoying the song. Either way, someone's jukebox selection (whatever it may be) definitely isn't worth taking someone's life over. That's just fucking stupid.

Archived