Jimmy Page, Blackmore, Beck, & Clapton

dedled

A friend of mine and I have been arguing over who was the better of the four, some 35 years now. I just wanted to share the recent exchange. I thought it might be amusing. You would think two 50 year old men would have other things to talk about, but the subject came up once again for about the 10 millionth time. This time though he crossed a line we usually just agree to disagree, but I couldn't let it go. He said and I qoute " Jimmy Page is not even one of the top ten best guitarist of all time. So therefore he is in no way better than Blackmore, Beck, or Clapton." I began to defend Mr. Page (like he needs it). He kept going on and on about how the other three were more fundamentally sound in technique and how each note was played with such clarity and musicianship unlike any other guitarist before or since. I admitted to him that I was a big fan of all four men, and that each hold a speacial place in Rock history. I felt Jimmy deserved, and warranted the same respect from him. Then he asked me the question that for some reason after all these years allowed me to put it in a context he finally understood. The question was " If you were forming a band today and all four were available who would you take?" The answer was simple without hesitation. I answered "Jimmy Page hands down." I explained to him that while the others were more technicaly sound ( His opinion not mine). None could touch Jimmy in creativity, his willness to take chances, to push the envelope past the same old blues based rock. The way he poked, prodded and just plain pulled the emotion out of every lick. The man has created some of the most memorable riffs in rock. Not one riff, not two riffs but several. His body of work is timeless without age, as fresh today as it was 40 years ago. I told him kids today will listen to Zeppelin, and get just as turned on as I did. I can't say the same for the others. My friend actually had no choice but to agree. He had no come back for it whatsoever. His only comment was "yeah well he still aint no Ritchie Blackmore." My reponse to him was simply "Thank god and Amen to that." he hung up mad, but he'll get over it. Me I just smiled and cranked up some Led. Just a final thought. Led Zeppelin allowed Jimmy the freedoom to explore, to do it his way, his vision, without compromise. Led Zeppelin took their que from Jimmy Page they all upheld their common vision. They never wavered from the integrity of their music. They did it their way. They bent to no one. Not the media, not the corporations, not the music industry, and not even their fans. Along the way they became the greatest rock band of our generation. I don't think we will ever see the likes of these men again. You just have to respect that. They are still at it even today. Thats why Robert feels as he does about touring again. If he does it will be in his time, his way, without compromise. You know Jimmy and JPJ respect him for it. They would expect nothing less of themselves. Thank god for Jimmy, Robert, & JPJ. As far as Mr. Bonham is concerned, I guess God just had to bring his hammer home. Just a thought. Thanks to all for putting up with such a long winded post. Later All

Jimmy said himself he dealt not in technique, but in emotions. I'd rank them:

Page

Clapton

Beck

Blackmore

...but what does it really matter if the music don't move you?

Itotally agree with you guys [Dedled and SteveAjONES] ,Jimmy is more than a guitar player, he is a master artest!!!!! :)

:yourock:

Although I am a fan of Clapton, Beck and Hendrix, none of them have ever moved me the way Jimmy does. :goodpost:

I definately agree with Hendrix, however the argument, centered around the four mentioned. My friend is a big Blackmore fan Deep Purple, Rainbow, and now Blackmores Knight. I myself could listen to Clapton play all night, and have many times, but I can go months without listening to him at all. That said, I find I can not go one day without my fix of Page. The imagery, and emotion he is able to pull from me still to this day is by far the most intense feelings I have ever felt when listening to music. The only band who comes close to what Jimmy & the boys make me feel is Pink Floyd and even they are a very distant second.

I definately agree with Hendrix, however the argument, centered around the four mentioned. My friend is a big Blackmore fan Deep Purple, Rainbow, and now Blackmores Knight. I myself could listen to Clapton play all night, and have many times, but I can go months without listening to him at all. That said, I find I can not go one day without my fix of Page. The imagery, and emotion he is able to pull from me still to this day is by far the most intense feelings I have ever felt when listening to music. The only band who comes close to what Jimmy & the boys make me feel is Pink Floyd and even they are a very distant second.

Amen to that!! :goodpost:

I must add, U2 also moves me emotionly-but nothing like Zeppelin

Amen to that!! :goodpost:

I must add, U2 also moves me emotionly-but nothing like Zeppelin

A lot of different bands move me emotionaly, but it's usually tied to a specific memory and it's typicaly a song here or a song there. Freebird comes to mind right off. Zeppelin though moves me in my spirit through their music. It gets deep inside and dwells there. It's like an emotional roller coaster with all the highs and lows, the thrills and chills. A slow chug up a steep hill and once at the summit you throw your hands to the air and just go with the whims of the rails. And when it's over though drained and spent you can't wait to get back on that ride! I just can not get enough. When I talk to people like my friend I'm amazed by the fact they don't feel the way I do. I ask myself how could anyone in their right mind not see this was the greatest band of all time. How could anyone say without laughing that Jimmy Page is not the greatest guitarist of all time. I realize it is all subjective, but it still leaves me to wonder.

A lot of different bands move me emotionaly, but it's usually tied to a specific memory and it's typicaly a song here or a song there. Freebird comes to mind right off. Zeppelin though moves me in my spirit through their music. It gets deep inside and dwells there. It's like an emotional roller coaster with all the highs and lows, the thrills and chills. A slow chug up a steep hill and once at the summit you throw your hands to the air and just go with the whims of the rails. And when it's over though drained and spent you can't wait to get back on that ride! I just can not get enough. When I talk to people like my friend I'm amazed by the fact they don't feel the way I do. I ask myself how could anyone in their right mind not see this was the greatest band of all time. How could anyone say without laughing that Jimmy Page is not the greatest guitarist of all time. I realize it is all subjective, but it still leaves me to wonder.

I think the unusual aspect of Led Zeppelin was that they were at their best when they played live. I heard their songs on the radio growing up and I liked them, but when I saw actual concert footage I was completely bowled over by the sheer joy and emotion of the music. Page was at his best as a live performer. I can't watch the DVD and TSRTS too many times. No one compares to him.

I have this poster on my wall, it's Jimi's shadow on a stack of ripped up Marshalls, I'm sure you all know the picture. Well, I have a guitar player friend who, of course, has his own opinions, and after hearing him go on and on about whoever, I finally just pointed to the silhouette in the poster and said "You see this? THIS is where ALL OTHER guitar players live, right there".

He looked puzzled for a second, then burst out laughing when he got it. "Touche" he replied.

A friend of mine and I have been arguing over who was the better of the four, some 35 years now. I just wanted to share the recent exchange. I thought it might be amusing. You would think two 50 year old men would have other things to talk about, but the subject came up once again for about the 10 millionth time. This time though he crossed a line we usually just agree to disagree, but I couldn't let it go. He said and I qoute " Jimmy Page is not even one of the top ten best guitarist of all time. So therefore he is in no way better than Blackmore, Beck, or Clapton." I began to defend Mr. Page (like he needs it). He kept going on and on about how the other three were more fundamentally sound in technique and how each note was played with such clarity and musicianship unlike any other guitarist before or since. I admitted to him that I was a big fan of all four men, and that each hold a speacial place in Rock history. I felt Jimmy deserved, and warranted the same respect from him. Then he asked me the question that for some reason after all these years allowed me to put it in a context he finally understood. The question was " If you were forming a band today and all four were available who would you take?" The answer was simple without hesitation. I answered "Jimmy Page hands down." I explained to him that while the others were more technicaly sound ( His opinion not mine). None could touch Jimmy in creativity, his willness to take chances, to push the envelope past the same old blues based rock. The way he poked, prodded and just plain pulled the emotion out of every lick. The man has created some of the most memorable riffs in rock. Not one riff, not two riffs but several. His body of work is timeless without age, as fresh today as it was 40 years ago. I told him kids today will listen to Zeppelin, and get just as turned on as I did. I can't say the same for the others. My friend actually had no choice but to agree. He had no come back for it whatsoever. His only comment was "yeah well he still aint no Ritchie Blackmore." My reponse to him was simply "Thank god and Amen to that." he hung up mad, but he'll get over it. Me I just smiled and cranked up some Led. Just a final thought. Led Zeppelin allowed Jimmy the freedoom to explore, to do it his way, his vision, without compromise. Led Zeppelin took their que from Jimmy Page they all upheld their common vision. They never wavered from the integrity of their music. They did it their way. They bent to no one. Not the media, not the corporations, not the music industry, and not even their fans. Along the way they became the greatest rock band of our generation. I don't think we will ever see the likes of these men again. You just have to respect that. They are still at it even today. Thats why Robert feels as he does about touring again. If he does it will be in his time, his way, without compromise. You know Jimmy and JPJ respect him for it. They would expect nothing less of themselves. Thank god for Jimmy, Robert, & JPJ. As far as Mr. Bonham is concerned, I guess God just had to bring his hammer home. Just a thought. Thanks to all for putting up with such a long winded post. Later All

When they say about tecnique or lack of it with Page, I dissagree ! I mean ok he might play the odd bum note on his solo's but for the rest f the stuff on electric and acoustic is unique and good. Blackmore Beck and page are all great in different ways and bring something to the table...as for Clapton not really original in my books.

same.. my friend listens to garbage metal such as slipknot and doesnt ever give zeppelin their due.. it pisses me off but u cant get everybody

Not to be rude, but why would Blackmore be included among the ranks of Page, Beck 'n Clapton? I've enjoyed Mr. Blackmore's work, but he's not on the same level as those other musicians, IMO.

[/quo

With my friend it's always about Blackmore. It's always Blackmore this and Blackmore that. Of course I'm always Jimmy this and Jimmy that. So Blackmore is included here because that is who the conversation was about. As always with my friend and I the four mentioned and others just come up. This was a specific conversation about these four therefore Blackmore's inclusion. On a side note I believe Blackmore belongs on any list of some of the greatest ever. Where he belongs is of course subjective. He is just not the best on the list, that spot belongs to Mr. Page and no one will ever tell me any different.

I've looked at this thread a few times and I really don't know how to respond. Only in the beginning of being a music fan was I able to put on blinders and limit myself to one opinion and pick a favorite. To try a pick one of the upper eschelon of rock guitarists is like trying to decide which direction to turn my mouth and gulp a breath of fresh air after I was deprived of it. I simply just do it without thinking. Comparing those guys really isn't necessary, and they are just the tip of the iceberg. I could think of several others that should be mentioned in the same breath. It's all subjective and usually without any real substance since all excel at different things.

I've looked at this thread a few times and I really don't know how to respond. Only in the beginning of being a music fan was I able to put on blinders and limit myself to one opinion and pick a favorite. To try a pick one of the upper eschelon of rock guitarists is like trying to decide which direction to turn my mouth and gulp a breath of fresh air after I was deprived of it. I simply just do it without thinking. Comparing those guys really isn't necessary, and they are just the tip of the iceberg. I could think of several others that should be mentioned in the same breath. It's all subjective and usually without any real substance since all excel at different things.

I agree with this statement whole heartedly. It really is a subjective thing and each guitarist bring their own degree of talent to the table. Their place in Rock history is deserved, and I respect, and appreciate each and everyone of them. Also you are so right these four are just the tip of the iceberg, and comparing one to another isn't really neccessary just fun. I was really just sharing the conversation my friend and I had. If he is going to pick one as the best of all time (Blackmore in his case), then I have to take exception to that because I just don't believe he is the best of all time. Since I am a hard core Zeppelin fan I will talk to anyone who will listen about Jimmy Page, and offer my opinion as to why I truly do believe Jimmy Page is by far number one. He has contributed more to the way Blues/Rock guitar is approached and played than any one before him or since. Innovative, Creative, and just a plain geniuos in my opinion, and thats just what it is my opinion. No more, no less it's not the end of the world if someone differs with me, or if they think this whole ranking thing is pointless, because it is pointless which is the definition of fun.

Ok cool. With the idea of having fun what exactly did Page do that was innovative. I can honestly say I don't think anything he did with regard to guitar playing was innovative. He was a late bloomer that had the advantage of an up close seat to what was happening before he made his mark and anything he did can be directly traced back to others of his own generation, close to it anyway.

The most important thing is having your own style and Page certainly has that. You innovate your own sound and tone. Ahmet Ertegun was asked about Jimmy, Beck and Clapton years ago. He felt Jimmy had the most unique and individual sound.

It takes incredible discipline and self-editing to attain your own sound and musical approach.

Ok cool. With the idea of having fun what exactly did Page do that was innovative. I can honestly say I don't think anything he did with regard to guitar playing was innovative. He was a late bloomer that had the advantage of an up close seat to what was happening before he made his mark and anything he did can be directly traced back to others of his own generation, close to it anyway.

I understand where you are coming from as far as innovation is concerned. I should have explained what I meant and thats my fault for applying that word to his style of play. I was actually refering to his approach to producing the sound of Led Zeppelin. The way he miked Bonhams drums. The overlaying of the various guitar parts, and more. I know these are two different issues and I shouldn't have lumped it all together my bad. His style of play of course is built upon, and influenced by those who came before him, and those he was surrounded by as he came up from studio musician, Yardbirds and finaly Led Zeppelin. I had read somewhere that the Yardbirds didn't fully embrace Jimmy's vision, and therefore kind of limited his contribution. Led Zeppelin provided Page the control he needed to explore all the great ideas, and avenues he wanted to take the band down, and to put those ideas on vinyl. He broke away from the traditional rock sound of the time, and it payed off big time. Just to be clear I really didn't post this to spark debate over who is the best guitarist, or to rank them in any certain order. Like you I believe that there is no way to rank these men, or those who came before or those who have come after. It's just way to subjective to the listener. Of course I knew it was inevitable that there would be debate, but that wasn't the intent. I guess I told the story to get across the point, that no one moves me through their style of play the way Jimmy does, and therefore I consider him the best of them all. Once again though thats just my opinion.

BTW I wasn't trying to be contrary just trying to inject more umph into a thread I feel could have a lot more response considering the massive amount of views. Understanding and discussing all music makes for deeper appreciation. This thread should have been a whopper. Thanks for the insight and discussion dedled I hope to hear more about your appreciation of the greats.

Archived