jeff beck and eric clapton

beatbo

from rolling stone.com:

Two former Yardbirds are set to share the stage: Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck have announced they’ll play two shows together at Saitama, Japan’s Super Arena, on February 21st and 22nd. The duo have performed together at album sessions, benefits and festivals in years past, but these concerts mark the first time the pair have ever shared the bill for major arena shows. How mighty are these two axmen? Clapton ranked Number Four on our list of the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time, and Beck came in Number 14. If by some chance you’ll find yourself in Japan for this epic exhibition of guitar gods (or you just happen to live in Japan), take note that tickets for these concerts go on sale January 17th.

Both guitarists have roots in the Yardbirds, that blues-tinged British band that also lists Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page among its famous alumni. After the Yardbirds’ hit “For Your Love,” Clapton exited the band in 1965 out of protest of the group’s move from the blues to a new pop sound. Clapton’s replacement, ironically enough, was Jeff Beck, who was fired from the band in 1968 before they ultimately disbanded. Jimmy Page formed a band in late 1968 called the new Yardbirds, but you more than likely know them by the name Led Zeppelin.

Of course, Clapton and Beck went on to have pretty huge post-Yardbirds careers as well: Clapton as a member of Cream, Blind Faith, Derek & The Dominoes and a successful solo career, while Beck fronted the Jeff Beck Group and also enjoyed a noteworthy solo run. And now, more than 40 years after the original Yardbirds disbanded, the two will finally be together on a stage in Japan.

sorry if previously posted...

Good news for Japan and bad news for me. I had a very, very faint hope that one of those two guy's would show up at the Yardbirds show in Vancouver on Feb 22. Oh well, I'll have to settle for Pagey I guess :lol:

It's a shame Jimmy Page is never involved when these package tours are put together. Considering Jeff Beck is supposedly Page 's running buddy from their youth. It's always Beck with Stevie Ray Vaughan or Santana, McLaughlin or Clapton. I remember a few years back in an interview Beck said he'd like to do a tour with Eric and Jimmy, but Page wouldn 't be allowed to play any Zeppelin material. Doesn't sound too enticing there Jeff!

I love them all as individual players and performers but the fear of Page upstaging them must cross their minds. If Jimmy were involved in such a scenario he would be the biggest draw...aka ARMS.

It's a shame Jimmy Page is never involved when these package tours are put together. Considering Jeff Beck is supposedly Page 's running buddy from their youth. It's always Beck with Stevie Ray Vaughan or Santana, McLaughlin or Clapton. I remember a few years back in an interview Beck said he'd like to do a tour with Eric and Jimmy, but Page wouldn 't be allowed to play any Zeppelin material. Doesn't sound too enticing there Jeff!

I love them all as individual players and performers but the fear of Page upstaging them must cross their minds. If Jimmy were involved in such a scenario he would be the biggest draw...aka ARMS.

What do you mean with Jimmy "wouldn't be allowed to play any Zeppelin material"? :huh:

I love this quote in reference to The Jeff Beck Group reforming:

"Reformation of bands is never my idea of a good idea. Leave well enough alone, especially 35 years after it happened. It usually indicates there isn’t anything else happening in someone else’s career, otherwise you wouldn’t entertain it — let’s face it."

Jeff Beck Opens Up About Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Gigs With Clapton, Jeff Beck Group Reunion

I love this quote in reference to The Jeff Beck Group reforming:

"Reformation of bands is never my idea of a good idea. Leave well enough alone, especially 35 years after it happened. It usually indicates there isn’t anything else happening in someone else’s career, otherwise you wouldn’t entertain it — let’s face it."

Jeff Beck Opens Up About Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Gigs With Clapton, Jeff Beck Group Reunion

pretty astute. el becko never wanted more than he needed. anybody that can see him live-should....

The last time Beck came through town I had tix, not just any tix but front row pit. Somehow in the hustle and bustle of daily life I forgot about the show, didn't remember until several months later when I found my unused tix in my filing cabinet :slapface::angry:. I swear I have to buy a ticket for a friend just so I can remember to go, usually my motivation is to have a sober ride to the show but it does help to have the reminder.

The last time Beck came through town I had tix, not just any tix but front row pit. Somehow in the hustle and bustle of daily life I forgot about the show, didn't remember until several months later when I found my unused tix in my filing cabinet :slapface::angry:. I swear I have to buy a ticket for a friend just so I can remember to go, usually my motivation is to have a sober ride to the show but it does help to have the reminder.

That is a major bummer! Hopefully he'll take his tour stateside and you can get a ticket and attend :D

Archived