Deep Purple Mk III Reunion?

jmorton

So if any of you have been following the news this last week....Lars Ulrich (yuck) opened up a can of worms by saying he'd join a Deep Purple Mk III reunion if asked. (why they would ask him is beyond me)

Then Jon Lord came back and said that he wouldn't to a Mk III reunion without Ian Paice (I agree).

Here are the links

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/a-...ys-lars-ulrich/

http://jonlord.org/2009/01/06/mark-3-reuni...d-speculations/

For those who don't know...that lineup consisted of

Jon Lord

David Coverdale

Glenn Hughes

Richie Blackmore

Ian Paice

....this possibility is intriguing to me, if it ever were to happen. This would most likely be a strictly British event because the relative popularity of the participants is higher there. I'd certainly go see it. If only to see Richie Blackmore out of his pixie outfit :)

Thoughts?...

Jeff

By now, any small gathering of people on a stage can call themselves Deep Purple, I guess, but Ian Paice is certainly still drumming, and no need for Lars as far as I know. But what about Blackers? Are they considering Mk III because he threw warm spaghetti on Gillan once? :lol:

By now, any small gathering of people on a stage can call themselves Deep Purple, I guess, but Ian Paice is certainly still drumming, and no need for Lars as far as I know. But what about Blackers? Are they considering Mk III because he threw warm spaghetti on Gillan once? :lol:

lol....what a strange relationship those two have. Actually in the newest edition of Classic Rock Gillan takes shots at Blackmore (saying he can't improvise) and Glenn Hughes (saying he's not a "bona fide" member of Deep Purple)

So I think spite could be a nice incentive for Blackmore and the members of Mk III

Jeff

lol....what a strange relationship those two have. Actually in the newest edition of Classic Rock Gillan takes shots at Blackmore (saying he can't improvise) and Glenn Hughes (saying he's not a "bona fide" member of Deep Purple)

So I think spite could be a nice incentive for Blackmore and the members of Mk III

Jeff

Which is a pile of shite.

Jeff

Also in that 20 page spread Blackmore reckons that he can improvise.

Which is a pile of shite.

I quite agree. What's strange about that comment is the last couple years Gillan has gone out of his way to say what a lovely person Glenn is. So odd. Glenn's voice (out of Gillan AND Coverdale) has held up quite remarkably...

I'd much rather pay to see Mk III at a couple gigs than that tribute band masquerading as Deep Purple.

But Gillan helped bring the most success to DP.

Well, yeah, the peak the band enjoyed in its MK III incarnation certainly came as a result of relentless touring by Mk II in Japan and the USA - in fact I think one of the first gigs David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes ever did with Purple (if not the first) was as headliners at the California Jam, and obviously that didn't come out of nowhere. I myself actually tend to favor Mk II, probably because the first thing I ever heard from Purple was Made in Japan, and that was a pretty definitive album. But Mk III had some great moments as well. 'Burn' is definitely one of the best songs the band has ever done, and just a really great performance. I also think 'You Fool No-One' is best on Made in Europe. But in general, the whole Purple essence in my opinion basically lies in the interplay between Paicey, Blackers and Lord.

But in general, the whole Purple essence in my opinion basically lies in the interplay between Paicey, Blackers and Lord.

I'll have to agree with that statement Otto. I love Gillan, but I enjoy all the 60's-70's line-ups Deep Purple ever had and I really don't give a fuck which one was most successful. All line-ups have made great tunes as well as shitty tunes anyway. Come Taste The Band was an excellent album, even though Blackmore had left the band. Bolin was an amazing guitarist too.

Why in the world does that matter? I'm just not fond of his attitude since his Napster comments to his own fans some years back. As far as drumming goes, just because he's loud doesn't mean he's great.

I just wish Lars would quit mentioning Jethro Tull every time he's interviewed.

I suspected it related to the DP line-up in question. Dumb question time - if somebody says MK III, how am I supposed to know what version they are talking about? How many MK's are there?

I think people began using the terms in the late 70's early 80's and it's to describe the different line-ups between late 60's to the break up in the 70's. I have never heard any of the new line-ups been described as "Mark MMXXIV" or whatever number in the order it is nowadays..

Mark I

Ritchie Blackmore

Jon Lord

Ian Paice

Nick Simper

Rod Evans

Mark II

Ritchie Blackmore

Jon Lord

Ian Paice

Roger Glover

Ian Gillan

Mark III

Ritchie Blackmore

Jon Lord

Ian Paice

Glenn Hughes

David Coverdale

Mark IV

Tommy Bolin

Jon Lord

Ian Paice

Glenn Hughes

David Coverdale

I suspected it related to the DP line-up in question. Dumb question time - if somebody says MK III, how am I supposed to know what version they are talking about? How many MK's are there?

There are on the 8th mk at the mo, Ian Paice being the only original from MK I , Gillan/Glover from MK II, hope that helps.

In an interview in the latest issue of Classic Rock magazine, DEEP PURPLE singer Ian Gillan reveals he has "no interest" in the Mk III lineup of the band — and he doesn't particularly rate Mk IV either.

Gillan said: "I've never listened to any of PURPLE Mk III's records. What are they called? 'Burn' and... 'Strongbow' (Strongbow is English cider — Ed.), is it?"

"I've got no interest in them," he continued. "It's like seeing your girlfriend with another guy."

Gillan added: "As for Mk IV [when American guitarist, the late Tommy Bolin, replaced Ritchie Blackmore), I listened to their 'Come Taste The Band' album [1975] and that wasn't really PURPLE in my book.

"I've got no problems with the performances, I just don't think it's DEEP PURPLE at all.

"Glenn Hughes is one of the most naturally talented musicians but he's still copying Steve Wonder to this day, so I can't call him a bona fide member of DEEP PURPLE."

"The Mk III and IV lineups were full of talent, but you know you can spend £100 million on football players and you won't necessarily get a good team."

Archived