Awesome drummers

bonhamfreak

Talk about all of your favourite drummers.

BERNARD 'BUDDY' RICH IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bonzo's a given but one of my favorites has alway's been Bill Bruford

Bonzo

(rest is in no particular order)

Ian Paice

Gene Krupa

Alex Van Halen

Nigel Olssen

Liberty Devito

Buddy Miles

Sandy Nelson

Floyd Sneed

Neal Smith

Phil Rudd( Don't laugh. ALL his replacements BLEW!)

Bill Ward

Mitch Mitchell

Jerry Shirley

Phil Collins

Cozy Powell

Carmine Appice

Vinnie Appice

Me

Agreed, bonhamfreak. One other jazz drummer I really love is Gene Krupa - watching the man play is just so much fun, because HE had so much fun. The stuff he did with Benny Goodman was just really great.

And the drum battles with Buddy Rich were mind blowing! I've always given the edge to Krupa though for his work on the toms and incorporating them into solos they way he did.

Oh shit, I forgot about Floyd Sneed and Jerry Shirley. Both of those guys are terrific.

Sup, RA?

Yeah, I mentioned Floyd in one of the Three Dog Night posts here. Major early influence and I STILL get goosebumps everytime I hear Jerry open Honky Tonk Women on Eat It Live!

Noticed your new avatar. You're a drummer too?

Sup, RA?

Yeah, I mentioned Floyd in one of the Three Dog Night posts here. Major early influence and I STILL get goosebumps everytime I hear Jerry open Honky Tonk Women on Eat It Live!

Noticed your new avatar. You're a drummer too?

No...well I DO play the drums here and there, but mostly I'm a guitarist.

Of course, the drummer in the photo is Scott Asheton, not me.

I just got "Eat It" on CD a few weeks ago. Jerry is quite good to say the least. Plays with a lot of power similar to Bonzo.

Floyd? Not a power drummer, but listen carefully to all the little things going on at the same time. Sounds like he's playing with four hands! Incredible.

Oh shit, I forgot about Floyd Sneed and Jerry Shirley. Both of those guys are terrific.

There are so many great ones it's hard to remember them all at once :D here's a couple more... Keith Moon, Don Brewer

There are so many great ones it's hard to remember them all at once :D here's a couple more... Keith Moon, Don Brewer

Christ! How could I forget Moonie and Brewer? I should

ve taken more time to think. LOL

Oh and I'll add Mick Waller and Kenney Jones while I'm at it.

Christ! How could I forget Moonie and Brewer? I should

ve taken more time to think. LOL

Oh and I'll add Mick Waller and Kenney Jones while I'm at it.

Mike Shrieve

No...well I DO play the drums here and there, but mostly I'm a guitarist.

Of course, the drummer in the photo is Scott Asheton, not me.

I just got "Eat It" on CD a few weeks ago. Jerry is quite good to say the least. Plays with a lot of power similar to Bonzo.

Floyd? Not a power drummer, but listen carefully to all the little things going on at the same time. Sounds like he's playing with four hands! Incredible.

Yeah, I think Jerry's got some power too. One of my other faves on Eat It is Beckton Dumps. Do you have the Hot N Nasty Anthology? Hard to find now.

I agree about Floyd. What I always loved was his groove in the pocket. Joy To The World, Mama Told Me Not To Come, Old Fashioned Love Song. Shit, I could go on.

One tune I think he lays some power down on is their version of Try A Little Tenderness. Again, not Bonzo power but it kicks ass!

I feel the same about Buddy Miles. He's not powerful so to speak but he's got that major funky groove.

In the "fucking mind-blowingly insane" category

Sean Reinert

Billy Cobham

Gavin Harrison

In the "awesomely talented" category

Bill Bruford

Martin Axenrot

Steve Gadd

Flo Mounier

In the "extremely talented but not my style" category

Terry Bozzio

Buddy Rich

Derek Roddy

Patrick Robert

Agreed, bonhamfreak. One other jazz drummer I really love is Gene Krupa - watching the man play is just so much fun, because HE had so much fun. The stuff he did with Benny Goodman was just really great.

Gene Krupa is indeed great. The Benny Goodman orchestra actually played at my grandparents' wedding :o I have no idea how they managed that. I don't think they were that "connected" :lol:

Gene Krupa is indeed great. The Benny Goodman orchestra actually played at my grandparents' wedding :o I have no idea how they managed that. I don't think they were that "connected" :lol:

That's not what I heard. :godfather:

Archived