Drive-By Truckers Re-enter Studio

Jahfin

Yes, since I first heard them I have liked Cooley's songwriting. He and Hood complement eachother damn fine. Like you I think it's cool if Neff will be playing an even bigger part on the next album. I really like Brighter Than Creation's Dark and I sure look forward to their next album.

Even though I already own it on CD, I had a vinyl copy of Brighter Than Creation's Dark in my hands at the record store this afternoon but considering I already had three CDs picked out I figured I better pass on it for now (not to mention I'm miles away from my turntable [which is in storage anyway] and my vinyl collection). Not sure if you've seen it but you can pick up a huge chunk of the Truckers catalog on vinyl for $100 through MusicDirect. Not a bad deal at all if you ask me.

Even though I already own it on CD, I had a vinyl copy of Brighter Than Creation's Dark in my hands at the record store this afternoon but considering I already had three CDs picked out I figured I better pass on it for now (not to mention I'm miles away from my turntable [which is in storage anyway] and my vinyl collection). Not sure if you've seen it but you can pick up a huge chunk of the Truckers catalog on vinyl for $100 through MusicDirect. Not a bad deal at all if you ask me.

Click on the link below to watch a stream of a professionally shot full length Truckers show. Why this hasn't been commercially released is anyone's guess.

Drive-By Truckers recorded live at Paradiso-Main Hall

Thanks for the links. That's quite an offer indeed.

Great live footage! I enjoy watching it right now.

Should be interesting to hear - he's recruited some great people!

Check the Billboard link I just posted, looks like they've made some very interesting song choices as well including Hey Ya (which the Truckers have covered in concert before) as well as the Truckers' own Space City.

Check the Billboard link I just posted, looks like they've made some very interesting song choices as well including Hey Ya (which the Truckers have covered in concert before) as well as the Truckers' own Space City.

:yesnod: Be great to see them at JazzFest too.

I'm not really looking forward to the new DBT disc. As much as this band once meant to me I wasn't that into the last one and I truly feel they peaked with Isbell in the band and have been slowly losing momentum. Personally I'd like to see Cooley step away and do a solo project.

I'm not really looking forward to the new DBT disc. As much as this band once meant to me I wasn't that into the last one and I truly feel they peaked with Isbell in the band and have been slowly losing momentum. Personally I'd like to see Cooley step away and do a solo project.

Wow, I can't believe you didn't like the last album. I think it was incredible. But I sure would like to hear a Cooley solo album in anyway.

Wow, I can't believe you didn't like the last album. I think it was incredible. But I sure would like to hear a Cooley solo album in anyway.

It probably has more to do with my taste changing than the album, either way I played it a few times and shelved it because I thought it was so-so. If I had to point out a flaw it was the Tucker songs. Not that I thought the songs flat out sucked but it seemed like they were tying to prove or keep with the idea that the DBT are a multi-songwriter band and I really didn't think her material was very strong, the inclusion of her stuff sounded obligatory rather than deserving. That and I think Patterson is getting kind of repetitive in theme and style, it didn't sound fresh to me...and I've said this before, I'm not a J. Neff fan. I appreciate what he does but I don't like his playing style.

As much as I enjoyed the Isbell years I truly believe they're both better off going their own separate ways. I liked Brighter Than Creation's Dark well enough but something sounded like it was missing (not Jason), like the spark that seemed to fuel their earlier records pre-Jason. That said, I still found a lot to like about it, particularly Cooley's songs (especially Self Destructive Zones). As for a solo project, he's said he has no interest in pursuing a career outside of the Truckers. In fact, when asked about a solo record by a review once he said, "I made a solo record, it's called Decoration Day". Still, "mikecooley.com" has been reserved as a URL for him but from my understanding it's only for his rare solo shows.

I love Shonna's tunes but feel they would probably work better outside the context of the Truckers. I'd love to see a solo record from her.

As for Neff, I have absolutely nothing against him and am very glad he's been back with the Truckers full time these days. His pedal steel prowess is a big part of what drew me to their sound to start with.

I actually like Neff's steel plyaing. It's when he straps on a guitar and takes a solo that I start losing interest, I don't like his note selection and I don't think he is very fluid.

Fair enough but personally, I've never been put off by his guitar playing. That said, when they played the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach a couple of summers ago their guitar tech/builder Scott Baxendale came out to sit in on Buttholeville>State Trooper>Buttholeville and pretty much stole the show. Then again, that's not really saying a whole lot since openers Patty Hurst Shifter had pretty much already done that during their set. It was obvious they were still rebounding from Jason's departure (even though it was needed) and trying to find their footing as a live band again.

By the way, speaking of Scott, it you haven't seen the video for Cooley's

from the last record, it's well worth checking out.

I know Scott personally, I live in Denver and he and his kid have worked on my guitars. Despite Scott's immense rep for being a great builder and tech he's insn't my go to guy here. I only use Colfax Guitar Shop (Scott's place) in a pinch, they have deal where you can pay $25 more to get your repair done the same day. My other guy takes a week to get anything done.

I'm listening to The Dirty South right now, what a great friggin' album. Where The Devil Don't Stay is a great first track and that song kills live. The first time I saw DBT live I left kind of freaked out, it was so good it was like it didn't happen. I don't listen much now but when I do I am reminded of the that power.

Archived