Royal Albert Hall setlist

LEDMAN!!

I'm starting to go crazy trying to edit this concert together with the boots that are available, Im so confused with the proper setlist. On the dvd is one way, this website another (under timeline) its different on all the topics i looked at and its different on every boot website. Which one has the accurate setlist?

This is the boot setlist

Disc 1:

01. Were Gonna Groove

02. I Can't Quit You

03. Dazed and Confused

04. Heartbreaker

05. White Summer - Black Mountain Side

06. What Is And What Should Never Be

07. Moby Dick

Disc 2:

01. How Many More Times

02. Bring It On Home

03. Whole Lotta Love

04. Communication Breakdown

05. C'mon Everybody

06. Somethin' Else

07. Long Tall Sally

• 3 weeks later...
This is the boot setlist

Disc 1:

01. Were Gonna Groove

02. I Can't Quit You

03. Dazed and Confused

04. Heartbreaker

05. White Summer - Black Mountain Side

06. What Is And What Should Never Be

07. Moby Dick

Disc 2:

01. How Many More Times

02. Bring It On Home

03. Whole Lotta Love

04. Communication Breakdown

05. C'mon Everybody

06. Somethin' Else

07. Long Tall Sally

Don't forget the boot is missing "Thank You" - you can catch audio from this performance on one of the menus of the dvd (same with "Heartbreaker", though the boot is way much more complete).

It's also been rumored that they played "Since I've Been Loving You", but personally I don't believe it. They had just added the song to their live set and most likely didn't play it because they knew they were being filmed and didn't want to botch it up. Also, no audio OR video exists for this.

Well they did play SIBLY the night before in Bristol so it's certainly a possibility...

Right, but there weren't film crews there for the Bristol show.

This is my interpretation: They played it in Bristol to see how it felt and if it was up to par for getting in the video... having probably not been up to their standards, they ended up knocking it off the set-list so-as to not flub it up on film.

All I know are the facts: no audio or video exists for SIBLY, while all the others have at least something.

Thank You/Organ Solo and Heartbreaker both have audio, and probably both have video too that was just left out of the dvd because the audio was incomplete...

That's just my postulation...

^^You're most likely right...

Nope.

Since I've Been Loving You was absolutely played at the Royal Albert Hall on 1/9/70.

Tangible proof: In the 1/17/70 review of the gig in Melody Maker, the reviewer, Raymond Telford calls Since I've Been Loving You one of the best numbers of the evening.

Case closed.

This is from Led Zeppelin: The Concert File by Dave Lewis:

Friday January 9 1970

London, England

Royal Albert Hall

Set:

We're Gonna Groove

I Can't Quit You

Dazed and Confused

Heartbreaker

White Summer - Black Mountain Side

Since I've Been Loving You

What Is And What Should Never Be

Moby Dick

How Many More Times (inc. The Hunter - Boogie Chillun' - High Flyin' Mama - Leave My Woman Alone - The Lemon Song - That's All Right Mama)

Bring It On Home

Whole Lotta Love

Organ Solo - Thank You

Communication Breakdown

C'mon Everybody

Something Else

Long Tall Sally (inc. Bye Bye Baby - Move On Down The Line - Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On)

Right, but there weren't film crews there for the Bristol show.

This is my interpretation: They played it in Bristol to see how it felt and if it was up to par for getting in the video... having probably not been up to their standards, they ended up knocking it off the set-list so-as to not flub it up on film.

All I know are the facts: no audio or video exists for SIBLY, while all the others have at least something.

Thank You/Organ Solo and Heartbreaker both have audio, and probably both have video too that was just left out of the dvd because the audio was incomplete...

That's just my postulation...

They were playing SIBLY even back in '69.

They were playing SIBLY even back in '69.

You're absolutely wrong, before 1970, their blues showpieces were I Can't Quit You Baby and You Shook Me, then with 1970, and Jonesy finally touring with his Hammond organ, that they started playing SIBLY.

The first live performance we have a record from is from the day before at Bristol, it could've been played at earlier gigs of the tour, but we don't have any recordings. So there's no question that SIBLY wasn't played live until 1970.

It does seem odd that EVERY SONG from the show is available on boot...except SIBLY...perhaps it truly WASN'T played...it wouldn't be the first time a concert reviewer was either inaccurate or reviewed one concert from watching another (I am reminded of the reviewer who slammed Achilles, Moby Dick, and Stairway from the Chicago '77 show where Jimmy collapsed after 6 numbers!)

It seems odd they'd play Thank You and not SIBLY...so Sam, are you saying they both WERE played? How do we know for sure?

With all the different versions of the show it seems like it would be recorded by someone. I've heard versions of Thank You from that show, but not SIBLY. In fact I think there was a You Tube vid with that song on it not too long ago, I can't find that vid now though.

Nope.

Since I've Been Loving You was absolutely played at the Royal Albert Hall on 1/9/70.

Tangible proof: In the 1/17/70 review of the gig in Melody Maker, the reviewer, Raymond Telford calls Since I've Been Loving You one of the best numbers of the evening.

Case closed.

Hate to break it to you, but it wasn't played...

I also lean that SIBLY was played, the things to consider are:

1) Importance of the concert. New material must've fared well

2) Most common circulating versions are taken from the Kevin Shirley working tapes for the Led Zeppelin DVD, thus meaning that if it isn't on bootlegs, it's probably that he hadn't even worked with them, take into account that this version is really early to represent what the track would've been like later and there are also two other concerts on the DVD with filmed versions of it. And they're both great performances.

3) The vintage Bootleg version had the later half of the concert on video, SIBLY was played on the first half.

4) The Melody Maker Review is most likely right. Based on it's accuracies.

I could go on...... really there's a large possibility, but yet again, until we hear something, there's no tangible proof of that.

Hate to break it to you, but it wasn't played...

Based on ????? Evidence please!

Does your personal opinion trump the reviewer's mention of the song by name in Melody Maker the following week?

By the way, for everyone saying "why wasn't it recorded?" the fact is, it was. It is widely known, and had been discussed at the time of the release of the 2003 DVD that the reels for the 1/9/70 show were all over the damn place and they either couldn't find all of them, or salvage all of them for release.

Here's a link to an interview with some background on the 2003 DVD release.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov03/arti...evinshirley.htm

It's interesting to note the following comment:

"We did the Royal Albert Hall material first," recalls Shirley. "It was obvious that this was a great show from a great period in the band's history. Even as we were mixing the music they were still digging up footage from all sorts of places. The visuals were recorded on a variety of formats, and there were cameras that ran out of film, so we couldn't use a couple of songs, like 'Heartbreaker', because there was no footage at all. As you can see on the DVD, in some songs they had to use stills to cover missing footage. They took a lot of care in matching the video to the audio, sometimes working frame by frame."

Here's another link to director Dick Carruther's comment regarding the RAH show:

At times, Dick expresses frustration at the "almost but not enough" segments he discovered. "We had more Albert Hall" he said, "but there were just too many holes in the footage".

This comment was taken from Tight But Loose: http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/dvdpreview.html

Archived