Yet another "one hit wonder" thread...

Zepaholic

I don't know that it was a Top 40 hit but it was Tommy Keene's biggest hit. He's released other songs but none were as successful as "Places That Are Gone". BTW, that's the late Jay Bennett of Wilco on guitar.

Thanks for your reply.

I listened again to the Tommy Keene song, and it was not too bad for new wave.

Wiki said his biggest influnce was the band "The Raspberries". That was surprising to me!

Because they were from the 70's and had some pop stuff with Eric Carmen as I recall.

Sorry to read aobut the untimely death of Jay Bennett. He was obviously very talented.

.................missy

I'm sure that it's been mentioned before but Golden Earring's Radar Love is the ultimate "One Hit Wonder".

Golden Earring are a Dutch rock band, founded in 1961 in The Hague as the Golden Earrings (the 's' was dropped in 1969). They had international chart success with the songs "Radar Love" in 1973, "Twilight Zone" in 1982, and "When the Lady Smiles" in 1984. In their home country, they had over 40 hits and made over 30 gold and platinum albums.

Plus, I like this one more anyway:

Thanks for your reply.

I listened again to the Tommy Keene song, and it was not too bad for new wave.

Wiki said his biggest influnce was the band "The Raspberries". That was surprising to me!

Because they were from the 70's and had some pop stuff with Eric Carmen as I recall.

Sorry to read aobut the untimely death of Jay Bennett. He was obviously very talented.

.................missy

Can't say I've ever really thought of Tommy Keene or "Places That Are Gone" as "New Wave" but it did come out in that era. I always thought of his music more as "Power Pop", which would more accurately explain the Raspberries influence. The entire EP it comes from, Songs From the Film is well worth checking out.

Tommy%2BKeene%2B-%2BSongs%2Bfrom%2Bthe%2BFilm%2B-%2B1986.jpg

Jay was a force to be reckoned with and not just because of his work with Wilco. Too bad the differences he had with Jeff Tweedy resurfaced just prior to his death. In case you've never seen it you might wanna check out the documentary about the making of Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot called I Am Trying To Break Your Heart which captured Tweedy and Bennett trying to come to terms with their differences on film.

wilco.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We had a little bar called The Bastille in Slidell, Louisiana that we would go to in the late 70's, small but kick ass place and the DJ there was Mike and his nickname was Radar because he always picked the best music...made me think of this one....

There is some great music on these threads, and a lot that brings back some great memories. Thanks to all for sharing!!

Deborah, Radar Love from 1974 was a great one hitter. But I'm beginning to think 1972 was the year for the one hit wonders.

Around the same time as Motorcycle Mama, this one flashed in my memory today, from 1972 (again)!

Precious and Few by Climax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3LRyiFc3Ug

Back when bell-bottoms were cool...............:) missy

It's been mentioned before but I don't think Golden Earring's "Radar Love" really qualifies as a One Hit Wonder since they've had other hit songs, especially "Twilight Zone" (which actually hit the #1 spot on the charts in the U.S. while "Radar Love" only reached #13).

Not be confused with the Starland Vocal Band and their "Afternoon Delight" (another one hitter)....

From 1976, here is Starbuck with the much better "Moonlight Feels Right."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCuQQcISZTM

That catchy hook and those charming lyrics made it hard not to sing along (for me!)............ :) missy

Haha, I just tried to post the same song! :lol:

Love those xylophones!

Virginia,

Great minds? :lol:

I have to correct you though.That is not an xylophone that he is playing.

It is called a marimba! An instrument rarely used by any singer or band.

And be careful, this song can get stuck in your head!

.....................:) missy

Virginia,

Great minds? :lol:

I have to correct you though.That is not an xylophone that he is playing.

It is called a marimba! An instrument rarely used by any singer or band.

And be careful, this song can get stuck in your head!

.....................:) missy

Ah, ok, thanks! :) It definitely does get stuck! Have a nice weekend!

Manfred Mann had a big hit in the 1960's with this pop classic " Mighty Quinn."

It almost qualifies as a one hit wonder on it's own!

Give a listen in order to appreciate what happened once the band reformed.

In 1971 the reformed group became Manfred Mann's Earth Band. They went from pop to this rock classic.

** Manfred Mann's Earth Band followed this up with several albums.

But I believe this is the only Top 40 single. What a great one it is!.......:) missy

Manfred Mann had a big hit in the 1960's with this pop classic " Mighty Quinn."

It almost qualifies as a one hit wonder on it's own!

Give a listen in order to appreciate what happened once the band reformed.

In 1971 the reformed group became Manfred Mann's Earth Band. They went from pop to this rock classic.

** Manfred Mann's Earth Band followed this up with several albums.

But I believe this is the only Top 40 single. What a great one it is!.......:) missy

This was one of two Springsteen covers they did, the other being Spirits in the Night.

Oxo Whirly Girls

I was looking at a site of one hit wonders, would you believe RUSH was listed! They must have been looking at a very focused hit list to only see RUSH on there once.

These might be one hit wonders but these hit's certainly were memory makers. Some I like solely for the memory they bring with them.