Yet another "one hit wonder" thread...

Zepaholic

Jahfin,

Nice song from Tarney and Spencer. The song you picked did chart in 1979 as high as #89 on the Billboard Hot 100.

I discovered a lot of interesting info on this band while researching.

They are an Australian group, but in 1969 moved to the UK (alledgedly to avoid the Australian teen draft).

They had some moderate success in the UK with a hit single, "I'm your man rock and roll." (charted in the UK top 30).

A&M gave them a 10 album deal but they were released after only two albums. :(

Probably more info than you needed, but only fyi for you.

Here is a clip you might enjoy with another Tarney and Spencer song that did chart here at #84 in 1978.

Pretty good song too, if not a little synth heavy! :) missy

Here's a couple of one hit wonders from artists who crossed over from comedy and acting. That's a bit unusual! :)

Eddie Murphy gave singing a try with this memorable song. The song reached #2 on Billboard's Hot 100 in 1985!

David Soul aka "Hutch" also ventured briefly into a singing career.

This song went all the way to #1 on Billboard's Hot 100 the week of April 16th, 1977!

From the week of May 1 1976, here is the #1 one hit (wonder) from The Bellamy Brothers.**

**Some trivia about the band. They have charted over 70 songs on Billboard's Country Top 100 charts.

Of those 70 country hits, more than 30 reached the Top 40 Country.

But this was their only song to cross over to the Rock Top 100, and become an international hit. ........:) missy

Yes, the Sixties had the best one-hit wonders too (as seen below), imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIdug40ZM-M&feature=related

*Interesting info:This song ^^ went to #1 in May of 1968.

At that time, Archie Bell (who had been drafted into Vietnam) was recuperating from a gunshot wound in a W.German hospital.

He was discharged in 1969, but never repeated the success of this song, "Tighten Up."

*Lead singer John Fred thought The Beatles song "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" sounded more like " Lucy in Disguise with Diamonds."

After further inspiration of girls on the Florida beaches in sunglasses, the lyrics and song were recorded in 1968.

It lead to a #1 record (one hit wonder) also knocking The Beatles "Hello Goodbye" out of first place. Irony!.....:) missy

*Source: Billboard Book of #1 Hits by Fred Bronson.

The above classic, "Ode to Billy Joe" reminded me of another similar song that became a one hit wonder about a year later (Sept. 1968).......

*Jeannie C. Riley was the first female singer to have a song go to #1 on both the country and pop music charts simultaneously.

It made the biggest one jump leap on the Hot 100 of any single in history, (a 74 point leap from #81 to #7)! ........... :) missy

*Source:Wiki and Billboard Book/Fred Bronson

Enough of the pop and country, here are a couple of Hard Rock hits that were one-hit wonders.......... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gf3h8CoWC14

The Dutch band, (above) Shocking Blue only scored one Top 40 hit in America. That song, " Venus" went all the way to #1 the week of Feruary 1970.*

Another "Blue" band, Blue Cheer had this one hit wonder (Summertime Blues), that made it to #14 on the Billboard Top 40 in March of 1968.*

*Source: Billboard Top 40 Hits/ Joel Whitburn

Continuing on with the Hard Rock one hit wonders, I saved the best for last! (imo)

Check out this live clip of Vanilla Fudge peforming their only hit to make it to #6 on Billboard's Top 40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5WMh9BAFmM&feature=related

Indulge me please to write a bit about drummer Carmine Appice. It's obvious from the vid how gifted he is, but wow!

According to wiki (if you trust their sources) Carmine Appice is credited with influencing the following drummers:

John Bonham, Cozy Powell, Ian Paice, Dave Knepp, Niko McBrain, Joey Kramer, Bill Ward, Roger Meddows Taylor, Phil Collins, Neil Peart, Tommy Lee, Dave Lombardo, Richard Christy, David Kinkade, Ray Mehlbaum, and Eric Singer.

I don't even know who all these drummers are, but Carmine Appice must be very good to have had an influence on so many!! ...........:) missy

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a one hit wonder from the band Smith who took it to #5 in October 1969.

Baby, It's you (featuring lead singer Gayle McCormick wearing the attractive headband!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6atUODsWGs

Not to be confused with the Patti Smith Group who scored a one hit wonder with this May 1978 song.

Because The Night (featuring lead singer Patti Smith)

That was a great cover by Patti Smith.............

Thanks for that info dazedcat. I'm always on the lookout to add to the good/bad cover threads too.

The uploader had the songwriting credits to both Patti Smith and Bruce Springsteen.

That information is wrong. According to my research, Bruce Springsteen alone wrote this song.

Your tip lead me to check the covers. Wow, there are covers of "Because The Night" done by: Patti Lupone, Keel, 10,000 Maniacs, Kim Wilde, Earthling, Cascada, and The Waterboys. I may be able to get both a good and bad cover out of this lot!

......................... :) missy

With my new Billboard book I can finally take a closer look at newer one hit wonders!

Although her siblings Janet, Jermaine, and of course Michael were able to chart multiple hits, Rebbie only notched this hit from 1984.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6GTYC_NmmI

This feel good song made it to #9 on the Top 40 about 6 months after Rebbie's hit.* ............:) missy

*source: Billboard's Top 40/Joel Whitburn

This one hit hit wonder is from the Australian band The Church*, "Under the Milky Way" from 1988......

Personal opinion: I'm amazed this band didn't have more success in the US. A great lead singer in Steve Kilbey. ......missy

* The Church was inducted into the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Hall of Fame on October 27, 2010.

source: wiki

He wrote a hit song for another artist in 1953, but this song was the only hit that Jim Lowe recorded himself.

Jim Lowe (born May 7, 1927) is an American singer-songwriter, best known for his 1956 number-one hit record, "The Green Door". He also served as a disc jockey and radio host and personality, and has been considered an expert on the popular music of the 1940s and 1950s.

Edited by Silver Rider

This one hit hit wonder is from the Australian band The Church*, "Under the Milky Way" from 1988......

Personal opinion: I'm amazed this band didn't have more success in the US. A great lead singer in Steve Kilbey. ......missy

* The Church was inducted into the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) Hall of Fame on October 27, 2010.

source: wiki

I saw them a couple of years ago and even though I was only familiar with a few of their songs outside of the Starfish album, I really enjoyed the concert. They're still going strong and releasing solo and full band albums to a very receptive audience in some parts of the globe. In other words, they're not some nostalgia act riding on their one well known hit song.

• 2 weeks later...